Game 5--Ohio U

LoyalZIP

A rivalry is renewed as the 0-4 Ohio Bobcats come to town for Homecoming weekend, fresh off of a 35-6 loss @ Northwestern in which a 55-yard TD run by Ohio's Armani Rogers as the clock expired kept them from being shut out. A familiar name leads the Kitten offensive attack, as former Bobcat QB terror Nathan Rourke's younger brother Kurtis now has the reigns. He leads an offense that puts up just under 14 points per game while the defense has surrenders around 35 a game. They opened the year with a very disappointing 29-9 loss at home to Syracuse, followed by a Gardner-Webbian catastrophic loss to the mighty Duquesne Dukes (not basketball) by a 28-26 final. Former Zip punter Jonah Wieland has been dynamite for the Bobcats.

Nobody will ever forget the 37-34 triumph over Ohio in November of 2017. That's Akron's only win over the Bobcats since 2007, which is still mind blowing. Do yourself a favor and do NOT look at the box score from this game in 2019. I care about you, don't do it.

The Zips open as 9-point home underdogs. I was quite surprised. That's a lot of points. But I also wouldn't be surprised to see Akron lose 35-10. Hope for the best.....GO ZIPS!

Edited by LoyalZIP
  • Like 3

How much of Ant Williams, Oran Singleton, Jalen Hooks, Boateng, Fann, and maybe even Bubba do we have available? Of course thats a rhetorical question, but if we don't get healthier, its going to be tough. And I only bring Bubba up as Arth mentioned multiple LBs getting banged up, though I never noticed anytihing during the game. This definitely appears on paper to be one of our two best chances to win another game this year. OU has looked pretty dreadful thus far, as LoyalZip indicated. 

If Irons and the WRs can stay healthy/develop, I think they can give us a chance in some games.

Edited by LZIp

Speaking of tradition, I'm reminded of the '94 "classic".  Who among the hundreds in attendance will every forget Gerry triumphantly leaving the field, propped  upon the shoulders of his most trusted players that cool, sunny November afternoon in the Rubber Bowl?  Barring an outcome as improbable as a coin landing on its edge, somebody had to ruin somebody else's perfect season that day.

1 hour ago, johnnyzip84 said:

Speaking of tradition, I'm reminded of the '94 "classic".  Who among the hundreds in attendance will every forget Gerry triumphantly leaving the field, propped  upon the shoulders of his most trusted players that cool, sunny November afternoon in the Rubber Bowl?  Barring an outcome as improbable as a coin landing on its edge, somebody had to ruin somebody else's perfect season that day.

The following year, when Lee Owens was hired was the year I really started following the Zips closely.  But I remember that game.  I had hope for the Zips' future then (yep, hope's been springing in my heart for 27 years) because in that game the Zips started a true-freshman QB named Brian Magrell (sp?) & came away with the epic W.  

Brian's one of the better athletes to have come out of my proud alma mater, Green HS. (That's not saying a whole lot 😂)

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.”  Can someone please tell that to the guy calling the plays!!  We have a slew of guys out including Irons this week.  So looks like Gibson will get the start, not sure if Cato is healthy enough to come back yet.  Our receivers were really disappointing against OSU and why were we continuing to try to run the ball up the middle. I was very impressed with Hester, undersized but just kept working.  If the starting receivers don't want to make plays then start giving the 2nd and 3rd string guys a chance.  If we don't pull out a win this week, one of our few chances this year, going to be a long season and I will take BGSU by 14.

Irons being out would certainly be unexpected as there was nothing that indicated he was hurt and I had zero issues with our WRs during the OSU game. Really don't have an issue with the playcalling either.......Tough to do much when you are overmatched in terms of size and talent at every position.

My issue is the defense in general. That unit is a sieve.

If we have a slew out guys out, its no wonder OU is a favorite. We aren't that talented nor experienced, we can't afford to be missing many starters.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Irons being out would certainly be unexpected as there was nothing that indicated he was hurt and I had zero issues with our WRs during the OSU game. Really don't have an issue with the playcalling either.......Tough to do much when you are overmatched in terms of size and talent at every position.

My issue is the defense in general. That unit is a sieve.

If we have a slew out guys out, its no wonder OU is a favorite. We aren't that talented nor experienced, we can't afford to be missing many starters.

Zippity is a troll.  7 highly negative posts and only directed at the football program 

Edited by NWAkron

3 hours ago, johnnyzip84 said:

Faust knows such misery. Of his top 44 players, he has nine seniors, five juniors, 18 sophomores and 12 freshmen. 

Sounds eerily familiar to this roster...

Did Irons leave the game Saturday because he was hurt? I certainly didn't notice that. But if he is out, that would explain the line and I would expect the Zips to lose big. And if he were to miss extended time, then I think Arth would ultimately be done. Now this is all I'll be able to think about all week. Great. 

• Sad 1

"Zippity is a troll.  7 highly negative posts and only directed at the football program"

I'm sorry, I thought this was the football forum?  I would not say "highly negative" but more realistic with a negative slant. 

NWAkron - talk to me on 10/10 after the same game plan produces the same results.  BGSU by 14.  I hope I am wrong, but without a lot of changes, and the defense being a sieve... 

GO ZIPS!

Hello all! First post here, nice to meet you all. I'm a season ticket holder (first year!) and glad I found an online community of fellow Zip fans!

Would be a nice win this weekend. Ohio is 0-4, so there is a chance! Starting off MAC play 1-0 would be great!

Also, since I am bringing a group of people with me, we want to do some tailgating. What are the best lots?

Thank you. GO ZIPS! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GoZips86 said:

Hello all! First post here, nice to meet you all. I'm a season ticket holder (first year!) and glad I found an online community of fellow Zip fans!

Would be a nice win this weekend. Ohio is 0-4, so there is a chance! Starting off MAC play 1-0 would be great!

Also, since I am bringing a group of people with me, we want to do some tailgating. What are the best lots?

Thank you. GO ZIPS! 

Welcome! As rough as the football has been for most of our lifetime's as Zips fans, it's still some of the most fun we have! Lot 9 and 10 are definitely the best for tailgating. I'm not sure how passes are distributed for these lots for non-season ticket holders, so giving the ticket office a call before Saturday wouldn't be a bad idea. You'll have a great time, Go Zips!

10 minutes ago, ZIPFAN21 said:

Lots 9 and 10 are best for tailgating.   Irons is out for concussion protocol.  May be cleared by Saturday.   Nelson will start if he doesn't have any setbacks.  Gibson played well in the 3 minutes he did play on Saturday.   Looked composed and confident.   Our QBs are not our problem.   

Thank you for the insight! I tend to agree that QB isn't necessarily the problem (looking at you, OL) but each one brings a different thing that could help. Kato is experience and the ability to be a great, proven QB, though horribly inconsistent. Irons is our best shot because he can work around the line, and Gibson is a decent game manager for what he is. He does some boneheaded stuff at times, but has a kick of agility for when the pocket collapses. Ohio isn't very good up front, so hopefully this can be a game like last year where we can establish the run and control the game to an extent, assuming the D doesn't get torched.

4 hours ago, GoZips86 said:

Thank you. GO ZIPS! 

Welcome! Should be a beautiful day for football! Go Zips!