Game 5--Ohio U

LoyalZIP

3 minutes ago, dre22era said:

Folks really believed a coach that went 9-13 at Chattanooga could turn this program around #Privilege

Newsflash:  no one on here made the decision to hire the pretty boy with the blue blood Catholic pedigree.

There's nothing wrong with fans holding out hope that things will get better when that's basically all we have.  We can't call Arth into our office and fire him.

The program was tanking under Bowden and Larry Williams and his cracker jack search committee made it much, much worse.

So do us all a favor and lay off the "i told you so" stuff.

• Like 1

GET ARTH OUT OF HERE NOW!!!  

We just got pounded by the former worst team https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-rankings-colorado-washington-state-join-the-bottom-25-as-ohio-takes-over-no-1-spot/

A couple of years ago we had Jim Tressell, Terry Bowden, Jim Dennison and Chuck Amato on campus.  A school having financial challenges lets them all leave and BUYS OUT Bowden for THIS!!!  The incompetence of the board is UNF@#ingbelievable!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

2) Become P5 prostitutes. Ditch the MAC, find one P5 school a week to pay you $1M to whoop your butt, tell recruits they'll get to showcase themselves weekly against P5 schools, and get right financially. Play them enough, and you might actually win one or two games here and there, especially with the possible increase in talent if higher-level recruits like the idea of playing against P5 schools. Heck, you could even sell the idea to YouTube or something to get a media deal out of it. Not sure how the contracts work with other conferences, but I'm sure some sort of media outlet would like to show weekly P5 football on their platform.

Football leaves the MAC, and I think that severs all the other athletic programs as well.

2 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

The program was tanking under Bowden and Larry Williams and his cracker jack search committee made it much, much worse.

The program was the most stable it had been in a decade prior...yeah no-one here was in charge of the decision but there were some REALLY loud voices and those who were saying it was a bad move were ridiculed, and even some ended up leaving this forum.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheZipCat said:

The program was the most stable it had been in a decade prior...yeah no-one here was in charge of the decision but there were some REALLY loud voices and those who were saying it was a bad move were ridiculed, and even some ended up leaving this forum.

I look at them as two separate decisions:  one was appropriate and the other was horrible.  The awfulness of the second decision doesn't mean the first decision was bad as well.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Guthrie has two options in my opinion...

1) Stay the course with the program, but bite the bullet on the finances and fire Arth, in hopes of the next coach actually turning this program around to a respectable, profitable level. The issue here is: you can't miss again.

2) Become P5 prostitutes. Ditch the MAC, find one P5 school a week to pay you $1M to whoop your butt, tell recruits they'll get to showcase themselves weekly against P5 schools, and get right financially. Play them enough, and you might actually win one or two games here and there, especially with the possible increase in talent if higher-level recruits like the idea of playing against P5 schools. Heck, you could even sell the idea to YouTube or something to get a media deal out of it. Not sure how the contracts work with other conferences, but I'm sure some sort of media outlet would like to show weekly P5 football on their platform.

Dropping the football program altogether isn't an option, dropping to FCS isn't an option, and we can't stay on this path of digging ourselves deeper into debt. Stay the course and get it right, or turn heads and make headlines by adapting to the ever-changing college athletics landscape.

I've thought about #2 but you still need a place for the other sports. I think T.A. will see the handwriting on the wall by the end of the season. If we're lucky, he will seek another QB coach position in the NFL or P5 and move on voluntarily.

10 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

I've thought about #2 but you still need a place for the other sports. I think T.A. will see the handwriting on the wall by the end of the season. If we're lucky, he will seek another QB coach position in the NFL or P5 and move on voluntarily.

that would be the most we can expect.

That looked like one coaching staff that diligently worked at half to make adjustments and one staff that went to the concession stand.

So who wants to start the Go Fund Me page for the buyout?  No way that a school with the financial issues of UA is buying him out.

As I have said before, it is possible to be both anti-Bowden and anti-Arth.  

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, a-zip said:

GET ARTH OUT OF HERE NOW!!!  

We just got pounded by the former worst team https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-rankings-colorado-washington-state-join-the-bottom-25-as-ohio-takes-over-no-1-spot/

A couple of years ago we had Jim Tressell, Terry Bowden, Jim Dennison and Chuck Amato on campus.  A school having financial challenges lets them all leave and BUYS OUT Bowden for THIS!!!  The incompetence of the board is UNF@#ingbelievable!!

There should be a new number 1.  

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Yes, our D1 FBS program's running back is a 180 pound walk-on freshman.

I am not faulting the coaching staff for this situation.  Not too long ago, we had Gest, Dollard, Williams, and Norrils.  I thought we were loaded at that position short and long term.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bigjim said:

I am not faulting the coaching staff for this situation.  Not too long ago, we had Gest, Dollard, Williams, and Norrils.  I thought we were loaded at that position short and long term.

Nor did I in that comment.  That was just a comment on the level of talent they have on the field.

I would though say that the talent on the field is substandard and that comes back to the staff as it reflects on their assessment of talent and ability to recruit.

25 minutes ago, RowdyZip said:

Screenshot_20211002-192321_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20211002-192406_Chrome.jpg

I posted this mostly because the first paragraph made me L-O-L.

Gotta laugh so we don't cry, right?

As a Browns fan, at least I (finally) have that.

And to think, the Zips had 26 years of Browns absence and ineptitude to build the winner NEOH was desperate for. Oh well.

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

We’ll, let’s go D.  Big series here.

Was at the game. Have been deliberately avoiding posting to see what might happen. Well, lets see. Irons is a definite improvement at qb. BUT...He while he runs with authority, he also tends to hold on to the ball too long. Some of that is because the O-line is bad at pass blocking. Its also because the WR's often have problems separating. But ,he missed an open receiver in the south end zone and then held the ball. What's going on with the running backs?

The defense?! What kind of crap is that?! They can't tackle at the line of scrimmage. They just can't tackle. The line shows limited ability to rush the passer so the secondary gets hung out to dry. This is not an OU team that Solich coached. This one is not good enough to challenge in the MAC. Akron's defense is lacking in fundamentals. Not acceptable at this point. Thats coaching.

Don't see any coaching changes this year. Nobody on that staff appears capable of taking over. Problem now is even next year how do you convince a decent HC prospect to come in here?

Yes, and I was one who thought it was time for TB to go. But, didn't foresee them hiring someone who really appears in over his head. With the experience Arth had,would have thought he would be more competent.

This is sad.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lee Adams said:

Was at the game. Have been deliberately avoiding posting to see what might happen. Well, lets see. Irons is a definite improvement at qb. BUT...He while he runs with authority, he also tends to hold on to the ball too long. Some of that is because the O-line is bad at pass blocking. Its also because the WR's often have problems separating. But ,he missed an open receiver in the south end zone and then held the ball. What's going on with the running backs?

The defense?! What kind of crap is that?! They can't tackle at the line of scrimmage. They just can't tackle. The line shows limited ability to rush the passer so the secondary gets hung out to dry. This is not an OU team that Solich coached. This one is not good enough to challenge in the MAC. Akron's defense is lacking in fundamentals. Not acceptable at this point. Thats coaching.

Don't see any coaching changes this year. Nobody on that staff appears capable of taking over. Problem now is even next year how do you convince a decent HC prospect to come in here?

Yes, and I was one who thought it was time for TB to go. But, didn't foresee them hiring someone who really appears in over his head. With the experience Arth had,would have thought he would be more competent.

This is sad.

What is sad is the lack of our use of the transfer portal. There are some good OL & DL players waiting to be picked up. Also RB’s.