Game 5--Ohio U

LoyalZIP

I feel bad for the players. This has become humiliating. 

The shocking part is that there are still people who think we will somehow have the crystal ball that lands us the next Matt Campbell. We won't until the administration changes. Akron currently does not have the passion to be competitive at the D1 level.

People on this board have mocked Jaclson State, but I don't think the Zips could beat them right now. 

1 hour ago, zipsoutsider said:

I feel bad for the players. This has become humiliating. 

The shocking part is that there are still people who think we will somehow have the crystal ball that lands us the next Matt Campbell. We won't until the administration changes. Akron currently does not have the passion to be competitive at the D1 level.

People on this board have mocked Jaclson State, but I don't think the Zips could beat them right now. 

I promise you we couldn't beat them.  These coaches are out matched every weekend.   The good players want to transfer because the coaches are so poor.  

3 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

There’s really not a ton to say about that game today. All I could do as the game was so obviously slipping away was laugh and say to me friends “do you have any idea how bad the team they’re about to lose to is?” 

Honestly, I don’t even care about Arth at this point. He very obviously wasn’t ready for this level and he just put his name in the bin and ended up getting paid. Good for you buddy. And good for all of your John Carroll buddies too. The football program is pathetic. Simple as that. 4-29 since beating Northwestern and nearly zero improvement in 3 seasons of this coaching staff. Every time this happens, the list of quality candidates diminishes more and more. Why would anyone worth a damn want to coach at Akron right now? Enrollment is plummeting, budget is plummeting, you’re starting at the very bottom with nothing to hang your hat on, it’s just pathetic. 

Meanwhile, Kent, which is a football graveyard in every sense of the term, is now 1-0 in MAC play as the preseason MAC East favorite after a win on homecoming day. That makes me want to pull my hair out. In the past, we could at least say they sucked too. They may not be the football gods they think they are, but they’re heads and shoulders better than Akron. And it’s a dump. That should pee everyone at Akron off. 

There are so many discussions to be had about this disaster. As used to bad football as I’ve become, it just keeps getting worse and worse as the time passes. I think a lot of us saw this coming but hoped like hell it wouldn’t and denied that it would. But here we are. 7 MAC games left, all against much better teams than that. Shameful. Disgraceful. 

Basketball can’t come soon enough. I love you, Coach Groce. Thank you giving us all hope in Akron and something to be excited  about. 

Pour a little salt on the wound, ex Hoban Nolan Rumler rumored to return home to his home town of Kent to play football for the Flashes

If you want to look for some glimmer of hope, it's 40 miles north. It took the NFL franchise >25 years to finally find a man who could put it all together and run a no-nonsense gameplan. And a scouting director and GM who knew real talent from flashes and could-a-beens.

HOLY CRAP we've been through some awful football in NEOhio... 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LZIp said:

Outside of win/loss and lack of talent, anyone willing to go into detail on why Arth needs to go? Like X’s and O’s type stuff. I believe he can coach.

Your last sentence may in fact be correct, but that's irrelevant. 

I have a relative who is well connected in Ohio high school football. The problem is no high school coaches don't take Arth or anyone on his staff seriously as D1 coaches. It will never matter if he can coach or not as long as there is no talent. Recruiting is more important than coaching. He'll never be successful at Akron. 

I don't wish ill on Arth. He just needs to go. He'll be fine. It's shocking that Akron has missed so badly on two coaches in roughly 15 years. 

12 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

The Zips haven't had a head coach with a winning percentage over .500 since Dennison.  This is a long term institutional problem not a problem only manifested through the Arth and Bowden fiascos.  Most schools in UA's position have had coaches do well enough to move on to a bigger program.  All of ours have sucked so bad they've been moved along.

Ironically, there was a coach who actually had a winning season and was fired after that winning season.

15 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Outcoached.

We were the better team, OU made adjustments, and we looked like crap the rest of the way. Injuries or not, this game should've been ours. 

The amount of times we put the ball on the ground in a game is alarming. That's basic fundamentals that starts with an emphasis from the coaches. 

Still can't figure why they force the QB's to mostly pass from the pocket. Irons is not a pocket passer. He is not comfortable having to scan the entire field. As I thought before, run some play action like the Browns do with Mayfield. Get the RBs flowing one direction while the QBs roll opposite. That gets Irons feet moving and gives him less filed to worry about. Throw to a TE or RB. And as we see he is always a threat to run. Adjust!

The defense...? Don't see that improving much now. If they can't tackle or consistently rush the passer at this point not likely to happen.

30 minutes ago, Lee Adams said:

Still can't figure why they force the QB's to mostly pass from the pocket. Irons is not a pocket passer. He is not comfortable having to scan the entire field. As I thought before, run some play action like the Browns do with Mayfield. Get the RBs flowing one direction while the QBs roll opposite. That gets Irons feet moving and gives him less filed to worry about. Throw to a TE or RB. And as we see he is always a threat to run. Adjust!

The defense...? Don't see that improving much now. If they can't tackle or consistently rush the passer at this point not likely to happen.

But it worked at John Carroll...

• Haha 2

My first recollection of Tom Arth was seeing him at QB for Ignatius in the 1998 state semi-final at PCCC against McKinley.  On the last play he threw a Hail Mary that was caught by the Iggy receiver at the 1 yard line and future Buckeye/NFL player Mike Doss knocked the receiver out of bounds at the half yard line as the clock expired.  23 year later, here we are.

I wonder if Mike Doss is available.

1 hour ago, GP1 said:

Your last sentence may in fact be correct, but that's irrelevant. 

I have a relative who is well connected in Ohio high school football. The problem is no high school coaches don't take Arth or anyone on his staff seriously as D1 coaches. It will never matter if he can coach or not as long as there is no talent. Recruiting is more important than coaching. He'll never be successful at Akron. 

I don't wish ill on Arth. He just needs to go. He'll be fine. It's shocking that Akron has missed so badly on two coaches in roughly 15 years. 

At the end of the day, Arth cannot win games he should win, let alone pull off an upset.  At this level, it doesn't matter what you know, it's what you do. 

This isn't just about whether to fire Arth or not (which they should do, immediately.) This is a gut check for Akron: do they have the will and the means to support a D1 program at the level required to win. 

Arth is barely visible to the community and seems to have neither the skill nor the desire to raise money. That is not a winning combination at this level of FBS play. He might have reached the top of his talent at the D3 level.

Lastly, I have seen nothing from him that shows me he really has the team's buy-in. I watch his behavior on the sidelines and I just don't see a motivator. I keep hearing a bunch of BS about the culture under Bowden and how much it is better under Arth, but I call BS. I have yet to hear it come from a player. It sounds like it comes from a player's parent who saw their kid on the sidelines under Bowden and got some PT under Arth. 

14 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

The Zips haven't had a head coach with a winning percentage over .500 since Dennison.  This is a long term institutional problem not a problem only manifested through the Arth and Bowden fiascos.  Most schools in UA's position have had coaches do well enough to move on to a bigger program.  All of ours have sucked so bad they've been moved along.

Was Bowden really a "fiasco" though? Like Bowden doesn't even belong in the same sentence as Tom Arth. First Bowl win in program history, a re-appearance in the MACC in after a Decade-Long Hiatus. Basically Bowden made Akron football a 5-7 team with hopes of a season here-and-there of more.  

That doesn't belong in the same UNIVERSE as Tom Arth.

And let's not bring up Jim Dennison as if college football hasn't fundamentally changed since the 1970s/1980s. And now with payers getting paid, it's going to be even worse.

Edited by TheZipCat

9 minutes ago, TheZipCat said:

Was Bowden really a "fiasco" though? Like Bowden doesn't even belong in the same sentence as Tom Arth. First Bowl win in program history, a re-appearance in the MACC in after a Decade-Long Hiatus. Basically Bowden made Akron football a 5-7 team with hopes of a season here-and-there of more.  

And let's not bring up Jim Dennison as if college football hasn't fundamentally changed since the 1970s/1980s. And now with payers getting paid, it's going to be even worse.

Agree - with Bowden, you always felt there was a chance, because the Zips won games they had no business winning. Bowden had the team moving int he right direction until the admin changed. 

The difference, you have an amateur that can't cover for poor administration at the helm, now.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TheZipCat said:

The obsession with defending Bowden is just weird.  He's gone.  Arth will be gone.  Wistricill is gone.  Wiliams is gone.   Now it all falls onto Guthrie.

• Like 4

The Zips were #125/130 and lost by 17 points to #126.  #127 New Mexico State lost by only 6 to San Jose State.  #128 UNLV last by only seven to unbeaten USTA.  #129 UMass got killed by Toledo.  #130 UConn lost by 2 to Vandy.  UConn and UMass play next week.  The Zips will be at #129 or #130 soon.  These are the CBS rankings.

A similarly situated program and one that embarrassingly lost to this team las year, BG, had a defining win at Minnesota last week and were competitive against PCCC in the MAC opener yesterday.  They hired a guy nearly a month ahead of Arth who was a D1 OC at Auburn, Virginia Tech and Boston College.  He cleaned out some of the bad character in the program, suffered a couple of years, used the transfer portal and it now up and running and making progress with the program.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GP1 said:

. It's shocking that Akron has missed so badly on two coaches in roughly 15 years. 

The Athletic Director for each hire was not the same, but some of the assistants were. UA Athletic Department staff who were involved in the hiring of iCoach and Arth should not be allowed to participate in the next one. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I'm still angry about Lee Owens.

He was a second place MAC East coach. We've had two coaches since him who made the MACC and one won the championship. Akron probably held on to him a couple years too long. 

25 minutes ago, a-zip said:

I hate to see anyone get fired, especially the head coach of my team BUT I truly expected to see Arth let go this morning.  It needs to happen now.  Players and recruits need to see there is a commitment to winning.

I think it will be after BG next week.

18 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

I've thought about #2 but you still need a place for the other sports. I think T.A. will see the handwriting on the wall by the end of the season. If we're lucky, he will seek another QB coach position in the NFL or P5 and move on voluntarily.

I think that will be the course of action AD Guthrie takes....make life miserable for Arth and let him leave on his own accord, rather than paying him to coach somewhere else, as a position coach or head.