Game 5--Ohio U

LoyalZIP

32 minutes ago, John Ward said:

This is because we will not use the portal. I don’t get it !

The free movement of labor is critical to Libertarian beliefs. The transfer portal is the best thing to happen to college football in many years. It has made college football much more competitive because really good players are not held in bad situations and others can exploit their services. The new school wins and the player wins. The old school really doesn't lose because the us a player they really weren't using anyhow. To not exploit these looser restrictions is to not understand this basic concept and maximize opportunities. 

52 minutes ago, John Ward said:

Why you angry ? Owens ain’t any different. I heard the politics are ramped over at Ashland . They get more young men that leave that program in droves. Good players that don’t get any love.They ain’t winning.

Note to self-  do not attempt sarcasm in the football forum.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, GP1 said:

Your last sentence may in fact be correct, but that's irrelevant. 

I have a relative who is well connected in Ohio high school football. The problem is no high school coaches don't take Arth or anyone on his staff seriously as D1 coaches. It will never matter if he can coach or not as long as there is no talent. Recruiting is more important than coaching. He'll never be successful at Akron. 

I don't wish ill on Arth. He just needs to go. He'll be fine. It's shocking that Akron has missed so badly on two coaches in roughly 15 years. 

Fixed it for you.

33 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Note to self-  do not attempt sarcasm in the football forum.

Ain't no sarcasm here. I have heard from numerous people Owens politics are crazy. I heard he even had Charlie Frye on staff and didn’t let him do anything. Heard he was scared he might take his job.

6 hours ago, NWAkron said:

The obsession with defending Bowden is just weird.  He's gone.  Arth will be gone.  Wistricill is gone.  Wiliams is gone.   Now it all falls onto Guthrie.

I disagree, It's trying to learn...as a fanbase...from the poor decisions of the past, as how to judge "success" at Akron.

4 hours ago, GP1 said:

The free movement of labor is critical to Libertarian beliefs. 

Why do Libertarian beliefs matter in regards to College Football? They (Libertarian Beliefs) are largely adolescent fantasies that, when critically analyzed, fall apart at the most basic direct observation of reality.

Edited by TheZipCat

2 hours ago, TheZipCat said:

Why do Libertarian beliefs matter in regards to College Football? 

Because in just a few years, their main idea, maximizing freedom, is making college football from top to bottom the best it has ever been. The transfer portal is a total Libertarian idea and college football is more entertaining/competitive than it has been in my lifetime. NIL will prove to do the same thing. 

8 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

The Athletic Director for each hire was not the same, but some of the assistants were. UA Athletic Department staff who were involved in the hiring of iCoach and Arth should not be allowed to participate in the next one. 

Assistants don't have the final say on the hire and can't overrule their boss.  I posted elsewhere that if the AD is picking the search committee that will lead to group-think.

Ugh what a huge disappointment. It was 100% absurd that the defense could not stop the Ohio QC who was essentially a Tim Tebow. Everyone knew he was going to run the ball every snap, and each time it would be successful. It was so frustrating. This team does not face adversity well. When something against the grain happens against them, they can't seem to recover. Same thing happened against Temple, had a lead and then adversity hit and they couldn't recover.

I've wanted to see Arth succeed as he seems like a reasonable guy and of course it would mean the Zips are good, but him and his coaching staff seem to be in over their head at this level. I don't know what the answer is, but I don't think the Zips are going to be relevant under Arth, unfortunately. 

• Like 2

On 10/3/2021 at 12:53 PM, GP1 said:

He was a second place MAC East coach. We've had two coaches since him who made the MACC and one won the championship. Akron probably held on to him a couple years too long. 

Owens' team was over .500 the season he got fired,2003 I believe. He too was at least partially a victim of a regime change was he not? In any event, he recruited some NFL talent to the program. Frye,Hixon,Dwight Smith?,some good O-linemen and some others. JD took some of that added a couple of pieces, should have had a bowl game in 2004 and won the MAC championship in 2005 as we all know. Steadily downhill after that because he recruited some football talent that were poor citizens. There is no- stalgia like good-stalgia.

If the best we could have got last go around was Arth when the program was still bad, but not very bottom of FBS, I can't imagine the pool of candidates that we will have this time. Given our budget constraints and this being a pretty dead end job I think the best we could realistically hope for is a OC or DC from a good MAC/C-USA type team and hope we hit lightning in a bottle.

4 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

If the best we could have got last go around was Arth when the program was still bad, but not very bottom of FBS, I can't imagine the pool of candidates that we will have this time. Given our budget constraints and this being a pretty dead end job I think the best we could realistically hope for is a OC or DC from a good MAC/C-USA type team and hope we hit lightning in a bottle.

I'd personally rather give Arth more time to grow and adjust as well as his players more time to gain experience and develop in lieu of settling for the hope of "lightning in a bottle". My thoughts may change as the season progresses however!

I do agree this is not an attractive job at all, and we don't have the money to make anyone ignore the stink.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I'd personally rather give Arth more time to grow and adjust as well as his players more time to gain experience and develop in lieu of settling for the hope of "lightning in a bottle". My thoughts may change as the season progresses however!

I do agree this is not an attractive job at all, and we don't have the money to make anyone ignore the stink.

Once the emotion leaves the room, the decision comes down to $$, a pros and cons list, and whether more damage will be done to the school and program by keeping Arth or letting him go.  Almost all universities lose $$ on athletics.  So while KSU or BSU or whoever have an uptick in the winning % their football programs aren't necessarily bringing in any more money than Akron's.  Akron made $3.6 mill in pay to play.  If another MAC school only earned $3.3, Akron is still probably ahead of them for the year.   I would say let him finish out the year.

• Thanks 1

On 10/3/2021 at 9:29 PM, NWAkron said:

I posted elsewhere that if the AD is picking the search committee that will lead to group-think.

Not necessarily. I have seen true leaders select people for their diversity of ideas, opinions, etc., and not because they will say "yes" to whatever the leader wants.

I understand your concern, though. The UA Board of Trustees has rubber stamped most anything that the UA President brings them with seemingly little to no debate or consideration of their own.

Group think is the Akron way!

Btw, IMO coaches who surround themselves solely with assistants who have played for them do themselves a disservice. 

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Zip_ME87 said:

Not necessarily. I have seen true leaders select people for their diversity of ideas, opinions, etc., and not not because they will say "yes" to whatever the leader wants.

I understand your concern, though. The UA Board of Trustees has rubber stamped most anything that the UA President brings them with seemingly little to no debate or consideration of their own.

I think that may have happened last time.  I'm "gathering, guessing, assuming" that there were a few on there with limited football knowledge. For example, I wouldn't be good on a search committee for a football coach because I don't know enough about the nuts and bolts of building the team, recruiting, etc.  I would probably defer to those with more knowledge.  Next time that probably won't happen.