At West Virginia - First MAC league match

https://unitedsoccercoaches.org/rankings/college-rankings/ncaa-di-men/

In the United Soccer coaches poll, the West Virginia moved up to #3 in this week's rankings (they were #4 last week)

One of the 24 coaches voting...voted West Virginia as #1.

The Zips dropped from #20 in last week's ranking.....to #26

The soccer coaches rate the Zips as the 3rd best team in the MAC.

Bowling Green is 7-1-1 and stayed at #17 in the weekly rankings.

To side track for just a second...it is interesting to look at some big name schools that are not in the top 25.

Indiana is #30 ; North Carolina is #31 ; Stanford is #34 ; Wake Forest is #40

Getting back to West Virginia

West Virginia is 6-0-2......and is a team that is fully capable of reaching the college cup in December

I think that it is safe to say (that if you exclude Akron teams), this is the best MAC team in the past 15 years

This is the toughest MAC season opener that any Zip team has ever faced.

West Virginia began this season with a huge chip on their shoulder.  West Virginia deserved a berth in last year's NCAA tourney.  They had a regular season win over eventual NCAA champion Marshall and they thoroughly destroyed at large selection Charlotte 3-0.    West Virginia ended the year around #15 in RPI.   West Virginia deserved to be in last spring's NCAA tourney

West Virginia did not receive one top 25 vote in the preseason coaches poll.

WVA is 6-0-2

they started the year with a 2-0 win over Robert Morris.

In their 2nd game, they hosted then #3 rated Pitt.  WVU came away with a 2-1 win

3rd game, they hosted then #17 ranked Penn State.  WVU won that game 3-1

On Labor day, they hosted Loyola (MD).  That game ended 0-0

5th game, they hosted the Ohio State Buckeyes.  WVU added another shutout in a 1-0 win

they then travelled to #6 Marshall.    After 110 minutes, it was a 2-2 result

On Sept. 21, they hosted Dayton and WVU won 3-0

On Sept. 25, they hosted St. Bonaventure and WVU dominated in a 4-0 win.

in 5 of their 8 games, they have shutout their opponent.

They have only allowed goals to Pitt, Penn State, and Marshall.  (2 of those 3 teams were ranked in the top 6, other team was ranked #17)

17 goals scores in 8 games.   Only 4 goals allowed.

West Virginia coach Dan Stratford is one of the great young soccer coaches in the game

https://wvusports.com/sports/mens-soccer/roster/coaches/dan-stratford/3999

3 years at the University of Charleston (WV) - 61-4-5 record....Division II national champion in 2 out of 3 years

This is his 2nd season as WVU coach.

This is a team with great depth.  11 different players have scored goals for them. Yoran Popovic leads them with 3 goals.  Frederik Jorgenson has 2 goals and 2 assists.  Kevin Morris has 2 goals and 1 assist.   Pau Jimenez Abelda has 1 goal and 3 assists.

The zips will have to get off to a quick start in this game.   In the past 2 games, Malik Henry has been fantastic early on and put the ball on a forwards foot in the first 5 minutes of both games.  In both games, the zips striker did not convert.   To use a Jared Embick term, the zips need to be very clinical and put the ball in the net early in the game.

The zips were not at full strength - player wise against Yale.   Hopefully, all of the backline players are back healthy.  The zips have proven that they can compete with Indiana and Pitt.   West Virginia is every bit as good....possibly better than last year's college cup teams.

The zips can get a win......But they need to regain their confidence....BE CLINICAL early in the game.   Huge Challenge for a young team.  Go, Zips !!!

• Like 4

Nice write-up, Tenn. I noticed their schedule is front-loaded with home games with 7 of the first 9 unfortunately inc.the Zips game. Then they have a no. of MAC away matches. If they can run that gauntlet they will deserve that high ranking and that "huge chip" will have served them well. Zips obviously need that 1st goal and it will be very difficult as WVU's  keeper Tekesky has 5 clean sheets. Go Zips!    

29 minutes ago, MDZip said:

Pretty solid first half for both sides. West Virginia playing excellent defense. 

West Virginia back 4 ....are great at 1 on 1 defending.   West Virginia is the best defensive team that I have seen this year.

Akron really played well over the last 30 minutes.  Guys are really hustling and pressing the ball...is providing opportunities.

Samu Siemens Brega has really done well at HMF

I get the feeling often that Akron's team spends a lot of time early in games kind of "feeling" out the opponent's defense and the tempo of the game -- like a prizefighter.  Then, the second half, they get it more and begin attacking more incessantly.  Let's hope our attack is fruitful this second half.  We're definitely in this game!

21 minutes ago, MDZip said:

Nine yellow cards in the match though 4 for Akron 5 for West Virginia. 

Actually, 10 yellow cards... 5 Akron, 5 WVU.

Beuchte                                    Crooks

Siemens-Braga                        McCormick

Clapier                                       Jimenez Albelda

Kingsford                                 Baer

Bak                                            Popovic

Edited by Zip_ME87

Tremendous effort for 110 minutes.   This team has so much to be proud of.

I am very glad that they have a week off before their next match.

Clapier and Pacheco really battled defensively...as well as on the offensive side of the pitch.

I still have no idea...how UNC let Malik Henry go.    I love all the skills that he brings to the zips.

Coming into the game, WVU was 21 in RPI and Akron was 35

After the tie, WVU is 22 and Akron rises to 25.

This could have been the zips best game of the year from their midfield players.   Kingsford, Kauzlaric, Fitzgerald and Samu.......all had some outstanding moments....and zips were very competitive on 50/50 balls

• Like 4

Real team effort tonight. For those that didn't get to see it you can get an idea how many played well by how many different names were brought up in these posts. I would add Portman to that list. He seemed to be everywhere in that last 25-30 min. when you could see the legs getting heavy.

• Like 5

By the way, with all the yellow cards given out last night, it's worth noting through 10 games, no Zip has more than 2. Hopefully, that rate doesn't increase so that no one gets into peril of sitting out a game, but I know MAC games can get chippy like last night.

GO ZIPS!!!

• Like 1