What are you looking for in a Head coach?

LZIp

46 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

None of those names Akron could afford outside of maybe Deion. Freeman is reportedly making 1.6 million this year. Why would he take a $1 million pay cut to take a bottom 10 FBS job? Clark Lea is head coach at Vanderbilt and is making I'm guessing $3 million.

Freeman is not coaching at UC. He is at Notre Dame and will most likely be their next HC. Charlie Frye would be best selection IMO. 

21 minutes ago, John Ward said:

Freeman is not coaching at UC. He is at Notre Dame and will most likely be their next HC. Charlie Frye would be best selection IMO. 

Based on what, though? His background is nearly identical to Arth, yet he has no HC experience. Of course it could work, but I see little on paper that makes it a definite.

3 hours ago, LZIp said:

Based on what, though? His background is nearly identical to Arth, yet he has no HC experience. Of course it could work, but I see little on paper that makes it a definite.

I see a young coach who has ties to the area for recruiting. He took Central Michigan from the bottom to top in his one year as OC,He is currently the QB coach for the Dolphins. I think he could work out,

On 10/4/2021 at 8:08 AM, GJGood said:

I know it’s not the popular thought in this thread but I feel like making a coaching change now is starting over anyway. This current team is very young and has shown some signs of having some good talent. I kind of want to see where this goes without uprooting everything again right now. 
That said I do think there is a glaring weakness on defense on the outside. I don’t know if it’s a lack of speed, players in the wrong position, or misreads but every time an Akron opponent heads for the sideline during an offensive play I cringe because the Akron players are always three steps behind.

How many years should we wait? This guy cannot win.

On 10/4/2021 at 10:08 AM, GJGood said:

I know it’s not the popular thought in this thread but I feel like making a coaching change now is starting over anyway. This current team is very young and has shown some signs of having some good talent. I kind of want to see where this goes without uprooting everything again right now. 
That said I do think there is a glaring weakness on defense on the outside. I don’t know if it’s a lack of speed, players in the wrong position, or misreads but every time an Akron opponent heads for the sideline during an offensive play I cringe because the Akron players are always three steps behind.

I see the university going this route. I can’t picture them paying two football coaches with the budget problems we’re seeing (and the ones we’re not). Football (and Title IX) is a huge drain on the university, and gives it a black eye. 

And who’s to say the next coach who decides to take on the rebuild for what we can pay is worth a crap either? TB had the clout and the desire to take on the challenge, but lost interest for some reason. Where’s the next TB dad gum it?

25 minutes ago, Spin said:

I see the university going this route. I can’t picture them paying two football coaches with the budget problems we’re seeing (and the ones we’re not). Football (and Title IX) is a huge drain on the university, and gives it a black eye. 

And who’s to say the next coach who decides to take on the rebuild for what we can pay is worth a crap either? TB had the clout and the desire to take on the challenge, but lost interest for some reason. Where’s the next TB dad gum it?

Agree that TB lost interest and it seemed to me like he was merely collecting a pay check and doing the minimum.  No doubt Arth is working harder.

But, once again, football isn't a drain on the university.  in a matter of 3 weeks, the program brought in 3.6 million.  managing that stadium must cost a ton but they aren't going to abandon it or tear it down.

• Like 1

I haven't been on this board for 5 years with an old account, but I think it is time for the Zips to get the right man at the helm and get our program back and going. I won't get into what I do much, but I am a media member and I pride myself in knowing names of individuals that are likely to move in the coaching carousel. Besides that, I am an Akron fan first. 

One name that I am intrigued by is Matt Brock, special teams coordinator at Mississippi State and outside linebackers coach. I was once a special teams coach, and the fact that he coaches a position in addition to special teams is an absurd time commitment. He is one of the most respected names of coaches that I have heard of under 35 years old. He was the teams coordinator at Bowling Green a few years back and is familiar with the MAC and Akron from what I am told. He is also noted in many articles that sort of discuss what I am saying. Here is just one example. 

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/2355473370904/names-to-know-the-ultimate-cheat-sheet-for-the-2021-coaching-carousel

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, GoZips86 said:

Bob Stoops would be a game-changer for the program. Not sure Akron could afford him, but that would be huge. Long shot, though, I assume. 

I guess the good thing would be is I don't see him wanting to go back to the "big schools", so Akron could be his last college stop, perhaps.

After writing this yesterday, I kept thinking more about Bob Stoops.  His retirement isn't set in stone - he came back to coach a few games for the XFL Dallas Renegades before the league folded.  He has brothers coaching at Kentucky and at Youngstown.  His kids go to Oklahoma and wife is big in Mary Kay (based in TX), but this might not be such a long shot as it first seems.  If I were an AD, it would at least be worth a phone call.  XFL coaches were supposedly paid in the range of CFL and FBS coaches based on what I can find, so it probably in the 500k-750k range.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aaron said:

After writing this yesterday, I kept thinking more about Bob Stoops.  His retirement isn't set in stone - he came back to coach a few games for the XFL Dallas Renegades before the league folded.  He has brothers coaching at Kentucky and at Youngstown.  His kids go to Oklahoma and wife is big in Mary Kay (based in TX), but this might not be such a long shot as it first seems.  If I were an AD, it would at least be worth a phone call.  XFL coaches were supposedly paid in the range of CFL and FBS coaches based on what I can find, so it probably in the 500k-750k range.

That would be SO exciting. I agree, the least anyone can do is call. Would be some hoops sure to nail it down, but the thought is great. I'm not saying Akron would be getting top 10 recruits, no, but if a kid wants to play D1 ball and is choosing between MAC schools and the like, then Akron would surely get their attention for the fact Bob Stoops would be coach alone. 

55 minutes ago, GoZips86 said:

That would be SO exciting. I agree, the least anyone can do is call. Would be some hoops sure to nail it down, but the thought is great. I'm not saying Akron would be getting top 10 recruits, no, but if a kid wants to play D1 ball and is choosing between MAC schools and the like, then Akron would surely get their attention for the fact Bob Stoops would be coach alone. 

Bob stoops is almost 62 years old.Bob would be 65/66 when his first recruiting class is done.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ZipsSince04 said:

I haven't been on this board for 5 years with an old account, but I think it is time for the Zips to get the right man at the helm and get our program back and going. I won't get into what I do much, but I am a media member and I pride myself in knowing names of individuals that are likely to move in the coaching carousel. Besides that, I am an Akron fan first. 

One name that I am intrigued by is Matt Brock, special teams coordinator at Mississippi State and outside linebackers coach. I was once a special teams coach, and the fact that he coaches a position in addition to special teams is an absurd time commitment. He is one of the most respected names of coaches that I have heard of under 35 years old. He was the teams coordinator at Bowling Green a few years back and is familiar with the MAC and Akron from what I am told. He is also noted in many articles that sort of discuss what I am saying. Here is just one example. 

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/2355473370904/names-to-know-the-ultimate-cheat-sheet-for-the-2021-coaching-carousel

That's a fantastic article.  I'd say Doug Belk also stands out on that list. 

As a media member, do you believe that Brock could excite local media, get some attention for the program, and appeal to recruits?  If he can do that, I'm sold.  

2 hours ago, monrowe said:

Bob stoops is almost 62 years old.Bob would be 65/66 when his first recruiting class is done.

I hear you.  I would be happy with a 5 year contract to start to turn things around and recruit an heir apparent that the University would hire when Bob's contract was over.  

When the University parted ways with Bowden, I was very disappointed that he hadn't set up any of his coordinators to succeed with the program and keep it going as he left.  It might be wishful thinking, but I would expect a veteran like Stoops to be able to set up plans like that, even on a relatively short contract.

38 minutes ago, Aaron said:

I hear you.  I would be happy with a 5 year contract to start to turn things around and recruit an heir apparent that the University would hire when Bob's contract was over.  

When the University parted ways with Bowden, I was very disappointed that he hadn't set up any of his coordinators to succeed with the program and keep it going as he left.  It might be wishful thinking, but I would expect a veteran like Stoops to be able to set up plans like that, even on a relatively short contract.

None of Bowden’s coordinators were capable, ie A.J.Milwee.Bob Stoops doesn’t make sense.

You need a capable coach that is 45 and under to run a program.There is a very young Isaac Stoops, who is coaching. He has the DNA.

When the time comes, and who knows when the hell that will be, the AD and committee will find someone that checks all of their boxes and that will enthuse a majority of the fans.  A significant portion of the fanbase will then bitch that the program isn't improving fast enough while others will continue to lament TB being moved along.

Bring us someone young with some energy and enthusiasm that can talk MAC level talent into coming to Akron and I'll be happy.  Show improvement every year.  I don't need bowl eligibility in year one or two but there better be some progression of improvement with time.  

• Like 1

If a coach is going to be as bad as Tom Arth or iCoach at the very least they should be an alumni. Because an alumni I could respect came here out of love for the university and didn't just see it as just a step on the resume stepping stone. I firmly held that Bowden would have retired as an Akron football coach if he had not been fired.

So I go in two directions with what I expect: Either someone who CARES about Akron, or someone who actually has a record of recent potential. Yes potential doesn't always pan-out, and those with potential might move on quickly to another program. But Tom Arth very clearly, in my view, did not have potential. 

2 hours ago, Aaron said:

That's a fantastic article.  I'd say Doug Belk also stands out on that list. 

As a media member, do you believe that Brock could excite local media, get some attention for the program, and appeal to recruits?  If he can do that, I'm sold.  

Doug Belk is also intriguing I agree. He would be another good hire. 

Those that I have heard act as though there is nothing he can’t do. Guy is a machine. Charismatic, players coach, hard worker, publicly active, great Xs and Os all the above. I don’t want to give specifics, but they are sources I trust and big time names in the profession. I want what is best for Akron, and until I hear another name that is better than him and interested in the job, he is the guy I will push for if/when the time arises. 

Never posted but followed the zips during Bowden Era.  Todd Stroud former defensive coordinator/associate head coach would be a perfect fit.  Recruited 70 percent of the best rosters we had.  Worked the transfer game as good as anybody, has connections everywhere.  Also local High School coaches like him as well.  Coached 12 All Mac DL during his tenure with Akron, and saw 12 players sign NFL contracts during his stay at Akron.   Knows the University inside out and has 2 daughters that still reside in Akron.  Has been at the University of Miami the past three years.  Only assistant coach in NCAA modern draft history to coach multiple first round picks.  Coach had 2 more defensive ends drafted in the first round last season.  Just a name to consider.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stewbaby71 said:

Never posted but followed the zips during Bowden Era.  Todd Stroud former defensive coordinator/associate head coach would be a perfect fit.  Recruited 70 percent of the best rosters we had.  Worked the transfer game as good as anybody, has connections everywhere.  Also local High School coaches like him as well.  Coached 12 All Mac DL during his tenure with Akron, and saw 12 players sign NFL contracts during his stay at Akron.   Knows the University inside out and has 2 daughters that still reside in Akron.  Has been at the University of Miami the past three years.  Only assistant coach in NCAA modern draft history to coach multiple first round picks.  Coach had 2 more defensive ends drafted in the first round last season.  Just a name to consider.  

I like this, but what I'm not sure what you're meaning with the highlighted. Do you mean the only assistant Akron has had?

On 10/6/2021 at 8:43 AM, jupitertoo said:

What's the football program budget?  If the athletic budget is around $37-38MM, true football expenses have to be $8MM or more.

The number I believe Larry Williams stated previously was $10 million. 4.5 million of which was the cost of the stadium. That means the football program costs ~5.5 million on an operational standpoint. In addition to the 3.6 million we received in guarantees, we receive another 800k as part of our TV deal. We receive another million or so from the CFP distribution. Add in ticket, parking, sponsorship, etc. and football makes enough to cover itself on the operations side. It bleeds money on the stadium, but we are stuck paying that regardless.

• Thanks 2

It would be great if we as a collective could find someone that we mutually agree on. I would like to think that we can pool our resources to have some impact and to help get the guy we want, although I know it will ultimately be Guthrie’s decision. 

The reason I rejoined the board was to help finally get the guy Akron needs to get up and rolling, and not be the bottom of the MAC. I am open to discussion, but I am currently pushing for Matt Brock. I would appreciate any help, unless other names can convince me otherwise. 

With that in mind, it would be great if we can get this thing turned around for the rest of the season. However, I’m not sure I see that happening.