Jump to content

What are you looking for in a Head coach?


LZIp
 Share

Recommended Posts

My search committee would consist of Hunter Yurachek. Former UA associate AD.   He gets credit for outside the box thinking that has taken Costal Carolina to a Top 20 ranking. Not North Carolina…not South Carolina…not NC State…Costal Carolina. We need someone with a creative approach. Rehashing Paul Winters for the 28th time won’t work. Hiring a high school  school coach won’t work. 
 

The right answer is out there, and Hunter probably has the experience and acumen to figure it out. Massive whiff by UA letting him get away when he wanted to be our AD.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/7/2021 at 9:02 AM, stewbaby71 said:

 Todd Stroud former defensive coordinator/associate head coach would be a perfect fit.  Recruited 70 percent of the best rosters we had.  Worked the transfer game as good as anybody, has connections everywhere.  Also local High School coaches like him as well.  Coached 12 All Mac DL during his tenure with Akron, and saw 12 players sign NFL contracts during his stay at Akron.   Knows the University inside out and has 2 daughters that still reside in Akron.  Has been at the University of Miami the past three years.  Only assistant coach in NCAA modern draft history to coach multiple first round picks.  Coach had 2 more defensive ends drafted in the first round last season.  Just a name to consider.  

I agree. He is a great communicator, and extremely knowledgeable, I suggested the same in 2018. Can someone pay me some kind of BS search committee fee? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

My search committee would consist of Hunter Yurachek. Former UA associate AD.   He gets credit for outside the box thinking that has taken Costal Carolina to a Top 20 ranking. Not North Carolina…not South Carolina…not NC State…Costal Carolina. We need someone with a creative approach. Rehashing Paul Winters for the 28th time won’t work. Hiring a high school  school coach won’t work. 
 

The right answer is out there, and Hunter probably has the experience and acumen to figure it out. Massive whiff by UA letting him get away when he wanted to be our AD.

I thought of Todd as well, but have heard that he isn’t interested in being a head coach at this time in his life. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, stewbaby71 said:

I have talked to Stroud several times since his departure and he would love a shot.  Really thinks Akron can win a Mac Championship.  

Now that we got rid of our golden domer AD maybe he might have a chance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, stewbaby71 said:

I have talked to Stroud several times since his departure and he would love a shot.  Really thinks Akron can win a Mac Championship.  

If this has changed I’m all ears. Would Stroud be more qualified and better for Akron than Matt Brock? I personally would say no, but again, I am all ears to hear otherwise. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

My search committee would consist of Hunter Yurachek. Former UA associate AD.   He gets credit for outside the box thinking that has taken Costal Carolina to a Top 20 ranking. Not North Carolina…not South Carolina…not NC State…Costal Carolina. We need someone with a creative approach. Rehashing Paul Winters for the 28th time won’t work. Hiring a high school  school coach won’t work. 
 

The right answer is out there, and Hunter probably has the experience and acumen to figure it out. Massive whiff by UA letting him get away when he wanted to be our AD.

 

Think Akron may be developing a reputation as the "cradle of massive whiffs".

I seem to recall when Jim Tressel was still at Akron that he recommended we go after Fickell. 

Don't know if we did or not, but things sure have worked out nicely for Luke.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

Didn't Stroud have to take a medical leave this year? He would be a good football guy, not sure on the fundraising or PR side.

He’s one of my top 3 people I’ve met within the football program in my 30-something years in the area. Love the guy. But there’s no way he could run a D1 football program with his heath condition. 
 

If he could, I’d take him in a heartbeat. Great football guy, and greater human being.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

 

Think Akron may be developing a reputation as the "cradle of massive whiffs".

 

While that may be the reputation, the reality is different. It's "the graveyard of coaches'. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m glad we are having this dialogue and looking at our options to fix the problem which is Tom Arth. I didn’t like the hiring of a d3 coach and felt keeping Bowden was better for the program. No excuses for Arth, 3 years with a losing record is enough to fire him. 

 

Moving forward, Zips need to go back to Bowden style hire. A former Div 1 coach who got fired from a big program that needs a restart career. Or we need a former nfl coach looking get into a head start with a college d1 school that they can build up their resume before they head out for bigger school. They need someone who will bring back a ton of transfers or graduate players across the nation. Local kids is not what we should be doing as you can see the team isn’t great now with the current recruiting efforts. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We need to bring in Cinncy Bearcats Defense Coordinator  Mike Tressel who is Jim Tressel’s nephew as Zips new Head Coach. He has ton of experience d1 with coaching on Michigan State staff and work his way to Def coordinator on a team that could win a national Championship with Cinncy. He needs to build up his head coaching experience to get into a bigger program and his can tap into his Uncle’s previous connections with d1 on staff that can help him build our program. I’m willing to take a chance on him. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, akrzips2012 said:

We need to bring in Cinncy Bearcats Defense Coordinator  Mike Tressel who is Jim Tressel’s nephew as Zips new Head Coach. He has ton of experience d1 with coaching on Michigan State staff and work his way to Def coordinator on a team that could win a national Championship with Cinncy. He needs to build up his head coaching experience to get into a bigger program and his can tap into his Uncle’s previous connections with d1 on staff that can help him build our program. I’m willing to take a chance on him. 

What has he contributed to their recruiting efforts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, GP1 said:

While that may be the reputation, the reality is different. It's "the graveyard of coaches'. 

 

I think Kansas already has a copyright on that phrase. In fact I think you may owe them a royalty just for including the "tgoc" in your post.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/8/2021 at 9:10 PM, zipsoutsider said:

Didn't Stroud have to take a medical leave this year? He would be a good football guy, not sure on the fundraising or PR side.

 

Could anyone do well with fundraising and PR side? It's The University of Akron...I feel like some of you are living in a Bizzaro world.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, TheZipCat said:

 

Could anyone do well with fundraising and PR side? It's The University of Akron...I feel like some of you are living in a Bizzaro world.

If you look at what TB is doing at ULM, the answer is, yes. And yes, he did a fair amount of it, here, too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I feel compelled to say Paul Winters since the name has come up every time the Zips were looking for head coach in the last two decades.

Maybe we can at least get him on a Zoom call this time.  I remember when his name was flying around this site with a few guarantees he was going to be hired.  That was right up until he declined to even be interviewed.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...