What are you looking for in a Head coach?

LZIp

1 hour ago, Zip JD said:

Maybe we can at least get him on a Zoom call this time.  I remember when his name was flying around this site with a few guarantees he was going to be hired.  That was right up until he declined to even be interviewed.  

I think he's probably a good guy and a good coach but I said it in jest as I think his name has come up in every search since Faust left.   I don't have an interest in a 63 year old coach.

17 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I think he's probably a good guy and a good coach but I said it in jest as I think his name has come up in every search since Faust left.   I don't have an interest in a 63 year old coach.

I got the joke.  I just could not pass on a chance to type his name out one last time.  I guess I should have gone with my first instinct and said Jim Dennison.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GoZips86 said:

I'm 98% kidding when I say this, but hey, maybe Jon Gruden wants to return to Ohio for a fresh start and help out a lowly Akron football program? 

I'm 98% serious, but I can imagine Jon's thinking on this possibility.........Le's see; I have lived in some amazingly beautiful places and have more money than many people could spend in a lifetime, but here's an opportunity to move to a place with crappy winters and lead a really bad football team - where do I sign up?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

I'm 98% serious, but I can imagine Jon's thinking on this possibility.........Le's see; I have lived in some amazingly beautiful places and have more money than many people could spend in a lifetime, but here's an opportunity to move to a place with crappy winters and lead a really bad football team - where do I sign up?

I can't believe you could entertain even 2% a guy that would make so many players, assistants, and the community at large feel so disrespected. There is no room for a known racist on campus.

I can see a scenario where Dino Babers gets let go from Syracuse. I have always been a huge fan of Babers. Bring him back to the MAC.

My #1 choice would be Joe Moorhead with Luke Getsy as OC. This is a pipe dream as they have probably already advance to far in their carriers to come back here. Especially Luke. He can probably get a higher profile OC gig or a HC job himself. Our offenses would be way more productive and would put up a lot of points. I don't know if they would be able to bring in anybody to fix our D but at least it would be fun to watch shootouts. 

If we were able to get Joe, I wonder if he could get Frye to come with him here. I don't know that Frye would be as good of an OC as Getsy but I do think Frye would at least bring some excitement to the fan base as well as alums.

We have struggled for a long time in our program to develop QBs. We have seen flashes of talent and potential over the years with a young QB but never seen them get any better as they age. Nicely , Pohl , Woodson, and Kato. All these guys had moments or games early on but never built off of that success year to year. The sample size and injuries of our QBs makes it hard to tell how Arth has done but I think if you get either of these guys you would see or QBs develop and get better from one year to the next. 

2 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I think QB is the least of our problems. DL and LB’s are #1, and if someone wanted to make a case for OL I couldn’t disagree.

We are so undersized & slow at DL & LB for D1 football.  Love Bubba but he is physically challenged for that position & makes up a lot with hard work & determination but I agree with Captain & have been preaching it since joining this forum in 2016

9 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

I can't believe you could entertain even 2% a guy that would make so many players, assistants, and the community at large feel so disrespected. There is no room for a known racist on campus.

I can see a scenario where Dino Babers gets let go from Syracuse. I have always been a huge fan of Babers. Bring him back to the MAC.

Even though I am an entertaining guy, I can't believe that your takeaway from my comment was that I wanted to entertain him.

28 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

Even though I am an entertaining guy, I can't believe that your takeaway from my comment was that I wanted to entertain him.

Sorry, I don't even like the idea of joking about bringing a guy like Gruden in. Even in joking, he is given some degree of credibility and he deserves none.

14 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

Sorry, I don't even like the idea of joking about bringing a guy like Gruden in. Even in joking, he is given some degree of credibility and he deserves none.

Oh, now I see what you did.

You quoted my comment, but were actually referring to a previous post by GoZips86.

Please use more care when expressing your indignation. 

Go Zips.

Edited by Zipmeister
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

Oh, now I see what you did.

You quoted my comment, but were actually referring to a previous post by GoZips86.

Please use more care when expressing your indignation. 

Go Zips.

Sorry Zipmeister that you took the brunt of my comment.

I am still new around these parts, didn't know a little sarcasm about Jon Gruden, in a coach thread, would be such a huge deal. Noted.

Edited by GoZips86

5 hours ago, GoZips86 said:

Sorry Zipmeister that you took the brunt of my comment.

I am still new around these parts, didn't know a little sarcasm about Jon Gruden, in a coach thread, would be such a huge deal. Noted.

It could be funny, if I didn't think that there Akron fans who would be perfectly willing to look past Gruden's racism.

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, zippypitt said:

Gossip on the street has this as Arth's final game.  This came from a fairly credible source, but take it with a grain of salt.  I will believe it once I see the official announcement.  Juicy gossip nonetheless 😂

I was literally about to post in the Ball State thread: "I wonder if a loss here seals the deal for Arth" 

We shall see!

Edited by GoZips86

2 hours ago, zippypitt said:

Gossip on the street has this as Arth's final game.  This came from a fairly credible source, but take it with a grain of salt.  I will believe it once I see the official announcement.  Juicy gossip nonetheless 😂

if that's the case, l hope to goodness Guthrie has his man ready to sign at seasons end!

Does our performance and near-miss -v- Ball State save Arth's job?  That was the progress I've been waiting to see.  We hung right in there with a top MAC school.  (Though I suppose we also did that with Miami a couple years back...)

This team really plays hard for these coaches.  I would have figured they would have lost the locker room a while ago.  But no, this team still gives them absolutely everything they've got.  I respect & admire that from both sides - team and coaches.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

there's a paywall.  can you give us the hightlights?

Certainly.

Umm, they changed the article since I posted that link.  As I re-read the article it's not nearly as hard-hitting as it was.  It paints the game as a close miss with the team noticeably improving.  Idk.  

Originally it stated a couple of times that the team is still committing penalties/mental errors which shouldn't be happening 9 games into the season & that the defense is still a sieve.

17 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Certainly.

Umm, they changed the article since I posted that link.  As I re-read the article it's not nearly as hard-hitting as it was.  It paints the game as a close miss with the team noticeably improving.  Idk.  

Originally it stated a couple of times that the team is still committing penalties/mental errors which shouldn't be happening 9 games into the season & that the defense is still a sieve.

so the original article was written after the 3rd quarter? 

Edited by NWAkron
  • Haha 1