Game 6- BG

clarkwgriswold

I remember a simpler time a few weeks ago. Akron was kicking Temple's tail feathers 14-0, Ohio was losing to Duquense at home, BG was looking a bit improved but still terrible. My dumb behind was beside myself with joy, counting all of the wins the mighty Zips were going to rack up this year. I began thinking about all the fun road trips throughout the year in my head, circling the easy drive to BG as a big chance to move to 4-2, 2-0 in MAC play. I could taste the Campus Pollyeyes' world famous stuffed breadsticks.

Then it all came crashing down. Same sorrow, same misery, same God-awful coach speak. The only thing that could make those pressers worse would be Arth getting players' names wrong. I'm just going to stay home this weekend and watch hopefully the whole game. If the deficit reaches 21 points in the first half, I'll find another game to watch. Hell, I may even go check out the dump in Portage County for fun in the evening. Has anyone ever said that before? Akron football got me like...

When the season started I said to myself "Okay, we can probably beat BG, they are worse than us". Now, after their win against Minnesota and all of their losses being extremely close games, along with the fact Akron can't keep a lead to save their life......yeah, not feeling too good, fellas.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Arth is really excited again about this week...

Is Corey Smigel improving every year?  That is the best question we can come up with when we are blowing games we’ve had leads in.  Why are we self imploding every week?  Is it coaching? Talent? Conditioning? Discipline? All of the above?  Can you fix it or are you overwhelmed?  

Edited by 94zipgrad
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

14.5 point road dogs against the only team they beat last year.  I guess that shows which team is moving in the right direction.

I liked 2 of GT's questions, asking what was different about BG this year.  I may just be projecting, but I feel as though he was pushing Arth to acknowledge they used the Transfer Portal to their advantage, which would then lead naturally to questioning why we didn't.  Arth just answered with more coach-speak: "They're really aggressive and playing hard, yada, yada."

Edited by Blue & Gold

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

I liked 2 of GT's questions, asking what was different about BG this year.  I may just be projecting, but I feel as though he was pushing Arth to acknowledge they used the Transfer Portal to their advantage, which would then lead naturally to questioning why we didn't.  Arth just answered with more coach-speak: "They're really aggressive and playing hard, yada, yada."

It's all quite insufferable.   But what is there left to say?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I liked 2 of GT's questions, asking what was different about BG this year.  I may just be projecting, but I feel as though he was pushing Arth to acknowledge they used the Transfer Portal to their advantage, which would then lead naturally to questioning why we didn't.  

This might be Arth's biggest failure, yet. Has he ever addressed this? Akron may be the only place where a coach won't get fired with three straight years of losing, badly.

• Sad 1

On 10/7/2021 at 7:13 AM, 94zipgrad said:

Is Corey Smigel improving every year?  That is the best question we can come up with when we are blowing games we’ve had leads in.  Why are we self imploding every week?  Is it coaching? Talent? Conditioning? Discipline? All of the above?  Can you fix it or are you overwhelmed?  

Its called youth.  Our guys are undersized because of age and have not had that extra year or two to bulk up.  We hang with teams physically in the first half but as the game wears on our guys just can not get it done later in the game when they are getting tired.  Also, I have noticed that mentally we get down on ourselves when things do not go our way.  Again experience matters here too and we just do not have an experienced core.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zippyroo said:

Its called youth.  Our guys are undersized because of age and have not had that extra year or two to bulk up.  We hang with teams physically in the first half but as the game wears on our guys just can not get it done later in the game when they are getting tired.  Also, I have noticed that mentally we get down on ourselves when things do not go our way.  Again experience matters here too and we just do not have an experienced core.

Being young is one thing. Being young, and bereft of talent is another. 

We went 0-12...1-5...and are staring 1-11 in the face this season. I can't see adding a year of experience to what we have have on the field today making any difference in 2022. 

If we are only young, and somehow these larvae are going to turn into butterflies next year, I don't see it. Our lines, and LB's are completely overmatched by the worst of the MAC this season. Why in the era of transfers would anyone even try the "build with Freshman" approach?

I think we are young, plus woefully bare in talent. We need more Irons-like talent...like 10 more of him...before we're competitive in the MAC, let alone OOC. 

image.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Being young is one thing. Being young, and bereft of talent is another. 

We went 0-12...1-5...and are staring 1-11 in the face this season. I can't see adding a year of experience to what we have have on the field today making any difference in 2022. 

If we are only young, and somehow these larvae are going to turn into butterflies next year, I don't see it. Our lines, and LB's are completely overmatched by the worst of the MAC this season. Why in the era of transfers would anyone even try the "build with Freshman" approach?

I think we are young, plus woefully bare in talent. We need more Irons-like talent...like 10 more of him...before we're competitive in the MAC, let alone OOC. 

image.png

So what's your explanation for us hanging with Temple and OU in the first half if we have no talent on the team. Love you sideline QBs that have all the answers.  Simple fact, it's not easy to recruit or convince a player in the portal to come to Akron and play for various reasons.  You either need to find young talent and develop them or bring in a head coach with name recognition that players will be attracted to play for.  Problem is the latter is more difficult to find than the young talent. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Zippyroo said:

So what's your explanation for us hanging with Temple and OU in the first half if we have no talent on the team. Love you sideline QBs that have all the answers.  Simple fact, it's not easy to recruit or convince a player in the portal to come to Akron and play for various reasons.  You either need to find young talent and develop them or bring in a head coach with name recognition that players will be attracted to play for.  Problem is the latter is more difficult to find than the young talent. 

So what's your explanation for a 43 minute stretch against Temple when they gave up 45 points while scoring only three?  Arth's challenge is no more difficult than Loeffler's at BG or Lewis" at PCCC.  Also, trust me, Captain Kangaroo is the most faithful UA fan in here, not a sideline QB.

58 minutes ago, Zippyroo said:

You know you’ve arrived as a program when you can hang with the likes of Temple and OU for an entire half.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

Fearless forecast:

Confident BG seeks revenge for last year's drubbing and pounces hard on the Zips

Zips lose by +21

Arth gone by Tuesday

I don't think we'll see the 3rd of your predictions.

He'll be allowed to save face and the school will be allowed to save money by him getting another job in the off-season.