Game 6- BG

clarkwgriswold

3 hours ago, John Ward said:

Walk On, give that young man a scholarship and take away one from the ones that have them and are watching the walk on pull the wagon.Who is in charge of evaluating talent here?Cause I don’t get it.

The team has good tight ends, but they stand on the sidelines too much! I think all the TEs are on scholarships but #49, the other walk on.

After thoughts: if you're lacking in talent, your plays need to be more creative; if your players are young, they need some game experience where they learn, not decorating the sidelines; coaches are going to play their recruits (good or bad) because not doing so bruises their egos; once a poor coach picks his darlings, he becomes blind to the depth chart until injuries force him to look at those players he passed over; exhausted players make mistakes, rotate often so the defense isn't sure who will get the call; instill the "10 yards in 3 downs" mindset; and finally, most coaches and men don't think grandmas know anything about developing a young team! Players will strive to become the players you make them believe they can become. It's the psychology of human nature.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Football grandma said:

After thoughts: if you're lacking in talent, your plays need to be more creative; if your players are young, they need some game experience where they learn, not decorating the sidelines; coaches are going to play their recruits (good or bad) because not doing so bruises their egos; once a poor coach picks his darlings, he becomes blind to the depth chart until injuries force him to look at those players he passed over; exhausted players make mistakes, rotate often so the defense isn't sure who will get the call; instill the "10 yards in 3 downs" mindset; and finally, most coaches and men don't think grandmas know anything about developing a young team! Players will strive to become the players you make them believe they can become. It's the psychology of human nature.

Best damn post all year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Football grandma said:

Who is the staff passing up in favor  “their guys” at this point? You may have had an argument 2 years ago, but not now.There are basically no upperclassman on this team. The only non-Arth recruits I can think of offhand are Kato, Bubba, Bischoff, Hawkins, Hooks, Andre Williams, Tim Scippio, and Vince Fonte. Many of them are hurt currently or have been hurt.

2 hours ago, Football grandma said:

The team has good tight ends, but they stand on the sidelines too much! I think all the TEs are on scholarships but #49, the other walk on.

I don’t agree. We’ve ran at least a few multiple TE sets this year and Brank has been regularly involved in the offense. He was 3rd on the team in receiving before today. #11 was more involved at the beginning of the year and seems to have gotten at least some more action today. Yarmo gets regular PT as well, though he doesn’t seem to do much in the receiving game.

14 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I don’t agree. We’ve ran at least a few multiple TE sets this year and Brank has been regularly involved in the offense. He was 3rd on the team in receiving before today. #11 was more involved at the beginning of the year and seems to have gotten at least some more action today. Yarmo gets regular PT as well, though he doesn’t seem to do much in the receiving game.

11 is a beast! Just play him. Brank is very young.Yarmo doesn’t get enough reps.

39 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Who is the staff passing up in favor  “their guys” at this point? You may have had an argument 2 years ago, but not now.There are basically no upperclassman on this team. The only non-Arth recruits I can think of offhand are Kato, Bubba, Bischoff, Hawkins, Hooks, Andre Williams, Tim Scippio, and Vince Fonte. Many of them are hurt currently or have been hurt.

And when they're not hurt, they play (even if we're not really sure Kato should be).

2 hours ago, Zipped Up said:

MEMO

To: Rowdy & Loyal Zip

From: All the No Talent players on the team (except for DJ)

Thanks for the💕.  Enjoy the week.

All love, this is my favorite team in all of sports, and the expectations have been raised for next week! No excuses, we’ve seen the potential and there’s absolutely no reason this team doesn’t compete for a win in Oxford. Go Zips!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mivid12 said:

White Devin Hester! Where the heck did he come from?

WHAT DOES SKIN COLOR HAVE TO DO WITH IT?

His last name is Hester, and he hits the hole like All-Pro Devin Hester hit the hole on punt & kick returns. It was very impressive, especially considering how poor our run game has been thus far. I think Kent State has a safe space if you need one, though.

Go Zips!

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

VICTORY!! So proud of this team. They faced the usual adversity they are known to be up against but fought through it. They looked like the better team yesterday. It was really fun to see. Keep the momentum going into Oxford!!

EDIT: In my previous post I was worried about this game. I love when I am wrong in those instances haha. 

Edited by GoZips86
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, zipsfan33 said:

8....that's #8 this season!!! 

Ya, problem with officials is they talk about penalties to look for with certain teams prior to games. If the films show a certain lineman holding in previous games they start watching a particular player or particular players. Had a former MAC official tell me that. So, when they see Akron has committed sideline infractions in previous games they start looking for that.

Problem with that is officials might not notice infractions if they would just call what they actually see during the flow of the game. Thats why the #8.

• Like 1

My take: I don't credit Arth for a damn thing yesterday 

Arth and the staff did NOT win that game 

Kato going down AGAIN and Arth having no choice but to play Zach Gibson won that game. 

Zach Gibson's play lifted that team in the 2nd half. 

If Kato played the 2nd half we would a got blown out. 

Our Defense can play when not having to get back out there after continuous 3 and outs and short fields by the offense.

Coming into yesterday Our Defense has always been gassed due to our lack of offense. 

Really!  I saw an offense with what, -25 yds of total offense and no 1st downs in the 1st 1/4, put the D in a hole after hole.  The D that hasn't shown up all season came alive yesterday.  First and goal from the 1, and get a stop on 4 tries!  I don't want to take anything away from Gibson, but I think the D should get the game ball.  It could have been 50 to zero by half time.

Coaching?  When Arth talked about Gibson being in the mix back in August, people were sure he was delusional.  After last year when we had a 200 yard/game rusher, and Gibson could hardly complete a pass, expectations for Gibson were zero!  Someone recognized the potential and coached it up.  Grandma saw some things on our line that she thought should be addressed.  It is extremely rare at D1 to see lines on either side of the ball loaded with freshmen.  There could be a lot of reasons that we saw changes yesterday.  Injuries to former starters keeping them out, injuries to replacements that have kept them out, or coaching that has allowed some youngsters to progress faster than others.

Winning cures everything.  However, like Covid, immunity wears off.  There better be a booster down the road!  Four more booster shots will make Arth a saint.  Most of us will be happy with 2.

Go Zips

• Like 2

I was told just last week most of these guys don't have potential to develop :) Like Ham said, I remember watching Gibson the past 2 years. While many wrote him off, I thought he had talent, just needed to clean things up. Against OSU and again yesterday, it looks to me like it happened. Having 2 viable QB options is a great problem to have. Kato no longer counts as one...sorry. He's the same player he's been all his career and he was the one with the hype. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dre22era said:

My take: I don't credit Arth for a damn thing yesterday 

Arth and the staff did NOT win that game 

Kato going down AGAIN and Arth having no choice but to play Zach Gibson won that game. 

Zach Gibson's play lifted that team in the 2nd half. 

If Kato played the 2nd half we would a got blown out. 

Our Defense can play when not having to get back out there after continuous 3 and outs and short fields by the offense.

Coming into yesterday Our Defense has always been gassed due to our lack of offense. 

Not sure you have been watching our other games this year but that is not the way it has been up until yesterday.   I will give it to you that the defense stepped up before the offense against BG but at the end of the day, both offense and defense wins games.

23 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

I know Eastern Michigan is no George State, but the lady Zips are hosting EMU (not new to MAC soccer this year) tomorrow at 1p.

Thanks Zipmeister for noticing a woman's sporting event, and YES!  They pulled out a big win today 2-0, a win that probably will save another coaches job at Akron.