Game 6- BG

clarkwgriswold

4 hours ago, zippy-claws said:

Thanks Zipmeister for noticing a woman's sporting event, and YES!  They pulled out a big win today 2-0, a win that probably will save another coaches job at Akron.

Don't bet the ranch that Noreen will have a job at the end of this season. She haas been a classic underperformed in the face of the best facilities in the conference, a fertile recruiting base in NE Ohio and good support from the AD. She has had 6-7 years of mediocrity or worse. She will be gone.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'll throw out a few final thoughts before I move on to looking at the Miami game.

This win felt just about as good as any win we've seen in the last 5 years or so. They didn't have to eek it out like the Bryant game, they stepped on the throat and were clutch. That's awesome. And I would love to look ahead with optimism, but I still have seen a lot of flaws that one half of awesome football can't and shouldn't cover up. Let's not forget, a God awful Ohio team dismantled this defense 8 days ago. I love 5 turnovers, hell I would love just 2 a game. But those turnovers were the reason we were able to win that football game. They still gave up a lot of yardage before they eventually just took the ball away every time out there. McDonald is much improved, but you still can't allow him to move the ball so easily in the first half like that. Same with the running game. If you caught any of that Kent-UB game last night, you got a glimpse of what both of those offenses can do to you. What am I saying? Not everyone is as bad as BG, teams are going to move the ball on you, 5 turnovers against BG won't matter when you're playing an offense like Kent.

As for Gibson,  I believe he is Arth's favorite player on the team, and I will continue to not have any clue why Kato Nelson started the first two games this season. That is a question that MUST be asked on the Tuesday presser. Inexcusable. Irons and Gibson seem to have similar skill sets. I'm fine with either starting next week, obviously assuming Irons is good to go.

The line play was really good, and hopefully they find their groove and make a little something happen here. The bodies are there, it's just up to the staff to make it work. I don't miss coach Z.

Hester is a nice little back, but the lack of depth there is a concern. Who is left after him? When the offense is in rhythm, running the ball becomes much easier, and Akron ran the ball at a championship level yesterday. In order to be a good team, you must run the ball well. That was promising.

I haven't been this confident about pass-catchers in a long time. Mathison and Mumpfield are both All-MAC caliber, with Mumpfield emerging as one of the best in the league lately. Throw in Qualls, Brank, and hopefully more Ognenovic (sickeningly late for him to get his first touch of the year), and you might be on to something.

Coach Arth must continue to coach like his a** is on fire. Get fired up, let the boys play with swagger while playing disciplined. Don't overthink things. It's really simple. There's potential on that sideline, we've all seen it now. No excuses in Oxford. Win. The. Damn. Game.

Edited by LoyalZIP
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, dre22era said:

My take: I don't credit Arth for a damn thing yesterday 

Arth and the staff did NOT win that game 

Kato going down AGAIN and Arth having no choice but to play Zach Gibson won that game. 

Zach Gibson's play lifted that team in the 2nd half. 

If Kato played the 2nd half we would a got blown out. 

Our Defense can play when not having to get back out there after continuous 3 and outs and short fields by the offense.

Coming into yesterday Our Defense has always been gassed due to our lack of offense. 

Glad to see that the win brought you some peace and comfort.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

I'll throw out a few final thoughts before I move on to looking at the Miami game.

This win felt just about as good as any win we've seen in the last 5 years or so. They didn't have to eek it out like the Bryant game, they stepped on the throat and were clutch. That's awesome. And I would love to look ahead with optimism, but I still have seen a lot of flaws that one half of awesome football can't and shouldn't cover up. Let's not forget, a God awful Ohio team dismantled this defense 8 days ago. I love 5 turnovers, hell I would love just 2 a game. But those turnovers were the reason we were able to win that football game. They still gave up a lot of yardage before they eventually just took the ball away every time out there. McDonald is much improved, but you still can't allow him to move the ball so easily in the first half like that. Same with the running game. If you caught any of that Kent-UB game last night, you got a glimpse of what both of those offenses can do to you. What am I saying? Not everyone is as bad as BG, teams are going to move the ball on you, 5 turnovers against BG won't matter when you're playing an offense like Kent.

As for Gibson,  I believe he is Arth's favorite player on the team, and I will continue to not have any clue why Kato Nelson started the first two games this season. That is a question that MUST be asked on the Tuesday presser. Inexcusable. Irons and Gibson seem to have similar skill sets. I'm fine with either starting next week, obviously assuming Irons is good to go.

The line play was really good, and hopefully they find their groove and make a little something happen here. The bodies are there, it's just up to the staff to make it work. I don't miss coach Z.

Hester is a nice little back, but the lack of depth there is a concern. Who is left after him? When the offense is in rhythm, running the ball becomes much easier, and Akron ran the ball at a championship level yesterday. In order to be a good team, you must run the ball well. That was promising.

I haven't been this confident about pass-catchers in a long time. Mathison and Mumpfield are both All-MAC caliber, with Mumpfield emerging as one of the best in the league lately. Throw in Qualls, Brank, and hopefully more Ognenovic (sickeningly late for him to get his first touch of the year), and you might be on to something.

Coach Arth must continue to coach like his a** is on fire. Get fired up, let the boys play with swagger while playing disciplined. Don't overthink things. It's really simple. There's potential on that sideline, we've all seen it now. No excuses in Oxford. Win. The. Damn. Game.

Your talking about a lot of potential on that sideline and you are correct. But, if you don’t play your potential you never know what you have. We all knew 11 can ball and that was shown and we knew certain lineman shouldn’t be playing and others should which was exposed. My point is you got em, play em. Figure out who can ball ,thats why you brought em here.

• Like 1

This true freshman had a really nice game at LB stepping in for the injured Reggie Corner... who was stepping in for the injured Bubba Arslanian. 🙃

This bio is even better than Hester's.  The U really puts a lot of TLC into their Athletics' website.  We Zips fans are #blessed.

Edited by Blue & Gold

13 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

GoZips dot com has a fantastically detailed bio of our new starting RB Blake Hester.

Fried chicken dinner to anyone able to say his mom's name 10x fast. 😂♥️

Maybe this has already been posted elsewhere, but here is a nice story on Blake.

• Thanks 1

DL's Zach Morton and Ryan Johnson seem to really be coming into their own.  

Does anyone even remember how these two became Zips?  I don't remember either of them from any recent signing day.  Are they walk-ons?  Are they transfers?  Their GoZips dot com bios leave much to be desired.

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Gibson's moxie reminds me of Baker Mayfield.   He gets the whole team fired up.

He has had a strange journey so far. He got some starts in 2019...actually played very well in a loss to UMass. Then, he starts all 6 games of the "bastard" 2020 season, and really doesn't distinguish himself. Then gets leapfrogged by Kato and Irons. 

Definitely a credit to him that, when his number was called on Saturday, he wasn't disengaged...yukking it up with some reserve punter at the end of the sideline. Or pouting over his 3rd string status. He was ready when his number was called, grabbed the reins of the offense and led the Zips to an improbable second half offensive explosion. Hats off to him!

image.png

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Definitely a credit to him that, when his number was called on Saturday, he wasn't disengaged...yukking it up with some reserve punter at the end of the sideline. Or pouting over his 3rd string status. He was ready when his number was called, grabbed the reins of the offense and led the Zips to an improbable second half offensive explosion. Hats off to him!

image.png

💯 I credit Arth for keeping the entire team engaged.  So refreshing to see after literally watching a player fall asleep on a bench during a game under last regime.  The heads and the hearts of the young men Arth is attracting can't be questioned. (Dollard withstanding.)  I just pray their bodies are able to compete at this level.

Edited by Blue & Gold

On Saturday, I was at Kent State for the Buffalo game along with 3 BG grads who grew up in Akron.  Lots of mixed feelings, mostly bad ones.  Although I'm glad you guys have something to rally around.  

The Zips have soared to #124 in the USA Today FBS rankings, just one spot behind winless Arizona.   Miami falls two spots to 112 after a close loss at the fightin' EMUs.  Zips are 19.5 point dogs at Miami (Opened at 22.5) and will need to keep proving Vegas wrong to get any respect.  Credit where credit is due, the team looked better in the 2nd half.  Let's hope the QB situation works itself out and the improved play continues.  Not gonna get 5 turnovers every game, most likely.  Defense will need to continue to make strides as well.

image.png

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

GoZips dot com has a fantastically detailed bio of our new starting RB Blake Hester.

Fried chicken dinner to anyone able to say his mom's name 10x fast. 😂♥️

I think that's awesome.  He's the first Thai athlete on campus since Anthony Ampaipitakwong.  And I have no problems saying that!  Sawadee ka.  🇹🇭

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RowdyZip said:

The Zips have soared to #124 in the USA Today FBS rankings, just one spot behind winless Arizona.   Miami falls two spots to 112 after a close loss at the fightin' EMUs.  Zips are 19.5 point dogs at Miami (Opened at 22.5) and will need to keep proving Vegas wrong to get any respect.  Credit where credit is due, the team looked better in the 2nd half.  Let's hope the QB situation works itself out and the improved play continues.  Not gonna get 5 turnovers every game, most likely.  Defense will need to continue to make strides as well.

image.png

That is just bizarre to me to see P5 schools like Arizona, Kansas and Vanderbilt THAT far down the list and keeping Akron and Miami (OH) company. Looks like we're in the running for pillow fight of the week. Very much looking forward to it - Go Zips!