Game 6- BG

clarkwgriswold

8 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

DL's Zach Morton and Ryan Johnson seem to really be coming into their own.  

Does anyone even remember how these two became Zips?  I don't remember either of them from any recent signing day.  Are they walk-ons?  Are they transfers?  Their GoZips dot com bios leave much to be desired.

Morton previously played for Syracuse,

while Johnson used to play for NW Mississippi CC

• Thanks 1

I was out of town and put on the game I shut it off at the end of the 1st. I ended up putting it on the radio at the end of the 2nd and then questioned why I even bothered. I got the notice on my phone when it was over that the Zips won and I was shocked. I went back and watched it later and that 1st half was brutal to watch. I kept truck'en through it knowing at some point it turns around. When Zack the Zip comes out to play in the 3rd I was like "What in the world happened Saturday". That 2nd half looked like a different team. Zack rolling out reminded me of a different QB that wore the 5 for us. ... at least for that half he did.

Going back and reading this thread, I have tears in my eyes laughing. The extremes this team and the fans went through Saturday.... 

Edited by Section210Zip

On 10/9/2021 at 9:34 PM, LZIp said:

Who is the staff passing up in favor  “their guys” at this point? You may have had an argument 2 years ago, but not now.There are basically no upperclassman on this team. The only non-Arth recruits I can think of offhand are Kato, Bubba, Bischoff, Hawkins, Hooks, Andre Williams, Tim Scippio, and Vince Fonte. Many of them are hurt currently or have been hurt.

You need to look closer. So you agree with all but that one statement?

On 10/9/2021 at 9:34 PM, LZIp said:

Who is the staff passing up in favor  “their guys” at this point? You may have had an argument 2 years ago, but not now.There are basically no upperclassman on this team. The only non-Arth recruits I can think of offhand are Kato, Bubba, Bischoff, Hawkins, Hooks, Andre Williams, Tim Scippio, and Vince Fonte. Many of them are hurt currently or have been hurt.

You need to look closer. For example: #49 Shaffer is in his third year on the team as a walk on, I believe. He was a QB, LB, TE in HS and has hands from what I saw in clips. Putting a player on the field, without giving him a chance to make a play, is using him as a placeholder. The defense is not fooled. It knows whom of the 2 is likely to make the play and keys on him.  All the TEs should be rotated and mix up the plays so the defense realizes they are all threats, even if they only get a few yards. Same with the WRs and RBs. The defense spreads and holes open. Keep the defense off balance! So what if they only get short yardage! The goal of 10 in 3 should be drilled into young players because in their minds it's doable.The reason there are injuries is because the same players are used in plays over and over, the law of averages. Same as the horses I train, overwork them and they suffer injuries no matter how good they are. Sure these guys are young and inexperienced, but I don't see the creative thinking from the coaches that helps to overcome those deficits and develop a well-rounded team. Don't get me started on the problems of the defense!

Edited by Football grandma

22 minutes ago, Football grandma said:

You need to look closer. For example: #49 Shaffer is in his third year on the team as a walk on, I believe. He was a QB, LB, TE in HS and has hands from what I saw in clips. Putting a player on the field, without giving him a chance to make a play, is using him as a placeholder. The defense is not fooled. It knows whom of the 2 is likely to make the play and keys on him.  All the TEs should be rotated and mix up the plays so the defense realizes they are all threats, even if they only get a few yards. Same with the WRs and RBs. The defense spreads and holes open. Keep the defense off balance! So what if they only get short yardage! The goal of 10 in 3 should be drilled into young players because in their minds it's doable.The reason there are injuries is because the same players are used in plays over and over, the law of averages. Same as the horses I train, overwork them and they suffer injuries no matter how good they are. Sure these guys are young and inexperienced, but I don't see the creative thinking from the coaches that helps to overcome those deficits and develop a well-rounded team. Don't get me started on the problems of the defense!

I like your thoughts but I believe coaches want to win and choose the ones that give them the best chance.  We don’t have that kind of debt.  We don’t even have the talent to overcome our penalties.  We can’t overcome poor discipline. Killed multiple drives in a game we needed points.

1 hour ago, 94zipgrad said:

I like your thoughts but I believe coaches want to win and choose the ones that give them the best chance.  We don’t have that kind of debt.  We don’t even have the talent to overcome our penalties.  We can’t overcome poor discipline. Killed multiple drives in a game we needed points.

Well, choosing those players hasn't worked out well so far. I don't think we really know the team's depth. The players are rated early in the year as to how good they are in practices. Game days are different. So, I go to the driving range and I'm hitting balls like Tiger. The next day I play in a golf tournament and look like I first picked up a club that morning. The reverse can happen, also. I think some players get "labeled" early and aren't looked at much afterwards. The head coach then takes his first pick O & D players and spends the majority of his time with them. Penalties are  results of many things: mental fatigue, frustration, retaliation, physical pain, pressure... Something was going on between those teams today of which we don't know. Dirty play, cheap shots, officials missing holding calls? The number of personal fouls tells me that. Yes, the players lacked discipline if they were retaliating, something the coaches should have investigated and demanded it stop. Curious...who started the "we have little talent, no depth" BS? The coaches? The players? The media? Has it become a self-fulfilled prophesy? Statistics don't tell the whole story when it comes to human behavior. Perhaps the earlier "coach Russian roulette" took a toll on some positions or players? But, hey. I'm just an old grandma...

20 hours ago, Football grandma said:

Curious...who started the "we have little talent, no depth" BS? The coaches? The players? The media? Has it become a self-fulfilled prophesy? Statistics don't tell the whole story when it comes to human behavior. Perhaps the earlier "coach Russian roulette" took a toll on some positions or players? But, hey. I'm just an old grandma...

It's quite obvious by anyone who watches this team that they lack talent and depth. If you think increasing playing time for walk-ons is going to lead to more success, I don't know what to tell you.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

On 10/17/2021 at 7:22 PM, LZIp said:

It's quite obvious by anyone who watches this team that they lack talent and depth. If you think increasing playing time for walk-ons is going to lead to more success, I don't know what to tell you.

First, I wasn't just saying more walk-ons should play. There are other players we have seen little of or not at all. Someone put them on the team so why not play them? Also, there were several walk-ons that tried out for the team. A few made the cut. The coaches weren't obligated in any way to place them on the team, but they did. Obviously, they must have shown some talent or were they chosen to make the line on the sidelines look longer?  Is this a numbers game; let's take enough players to look like we have a thriving program and lots of guys want to play for us? Transfers; perhaps they came to be a bigger fish in a smaller pond. Leaving a better team with more talented players with the idea of getting more playing time at Akron? The big question in the end is, "Why can't Akron attract better players?" Crappy scouting and recruiting? Fewer and smaller scholarships available? Less attractive U degrees offered? Coaching staff that doesn't impress perspective recruits? There won't be just one answer to the original question! The U needs to find the answers because the really good players aren't going to be tripping over each other to come to Akron next season either.

Coaches don't always see the trees for the forest! Game day is different football from practice. Read Oklahoma's Caleb Williams press. Bench to in the running for the H 🏆???? But, hey, I'm just an old grandma...

Edited by Football grandma
Addition