2021-2022 Zips Women's Basketball

Women lose by 11 at Duquesne in a game the Dukes (Duchesses?) led by 20 in second half after Zips had a 1 pt halftime lead. Dawson had a bad night and only scored 4 pts. It's early yet, but I'm not seeing much to indicate the team is much better this year. Emma Tecca got in at the end of the game and missed a shot. Oh well, it's early - right? Go Zips!

1 hour ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Women lose by 11 at Duquesne in a game the Dukes (Duchesses?) led by 20 in second half after Zips had a 1 pt halftime lead. Dawson had a bad night and only scored 4 pts. It's early yet, but I'm not seeing much to indicate the team is much better this year. Emma Tecca got in at the end of the game and missed a shot. Oh well, it's early - right? Go Zips!

Dawson is playing through an injury.

They SHOULD be okay tonight, despite Jordyn being out.  How long she's out will be the main thing.  Michigan on the road this weekend, and then home to Cleveland State, plus their Vegas trip, could be impacted seriously.  Freshman Regan Bass has looked solid so far, so she may be the key to survival.  Getting Tecca back sure wouldn't hurt.

13 hours ago, zippy-claws said:

They SHOULD be okay tonight, despite Jordyn being out.  How long she's out will be the main thing.  Michigan on the road this weekend, and then home to Cleveland State, plus their Vegas trip, could be impacted seriously.  Freshman Regan Bass has looked solid so far, so she may be the key to survival.  Getting Tecca back sure wouldn't hurt.

Detroit! Forced 22 turnovers.  Titans would rip the ball right out of their hands.

What an ugly game. Though Akron didn't have Dawson, my concerns of another year without any growth or progress in player ability seems to be holding true. Martindale looks to be a more complete player, but there seems to be zero chemistry. I don't think this team will crack the top 8 by the time March rolls around.

18 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

What an ugly game. Though Akron didn't have Dawson, my concerns of another year without any growth or progress in player ability seems to be holding true. Martindale looks to be a more complete player, but there seems to be zero chemistry. I don't think this team will crack the top 8 by the time March rolls around.

Another nice person but bad coach.

The women's game is an absolutely different animal than men's, including playing with a smaller basketball.  It's a lot more physical, so I wonder if there are always more turnovers in the women's game.  that being said, the Zips women were incredibly careless with their possessions.  Detroit was outrebounding them and on one play of the Akron players reached up, had the ball in her hands, and let it fall to the floor.

35 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Another nice person but bad coach.

The women's game is an absolutely different animal than men's, including playing with a smaller basketball.  It's a lot more physical, so I wonder if there are always more turnovers in the women's game.  that being said, the Zips women were incredibly careless with their possessions.  Detroit was outrebounding them and on one play of the Akron players reached up, had the ball in her hands, and let it fall to the floor.

So true. Melissa is awesome, Akron is lucky to have a person like this leading student-athletes. But it's not working out on the basketball side of things. The Zips have constantly been in far worse physical condition than their MAC opponents, and they completely lack a play style and identity. I'm running out of hope that this can be turned around.

• 2 weeks later...

This makes me wonder, what happens to the student(s) that tested positive. They were already out in Vegas and they were letting them just fly right home separately from Vegas for Christmas. Do the players just quarantine at some Vegas hotel while the rest of the team goes on home? Very odd and unfortunate circumstances for something that would have been a very cool event for the program

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...