2021-2022 Zips Women's Basketball

6 hours ago, NWAkron said:

I should have gone to women's game today

I did. They played well. BG has lost its excellent point guard Lexi Miller for the year. Anybody know what the deal is with Central Michigan? They're 3-10. 

Edited by ewbrooman1
  • Like 1

This may be the best they have played over a 3 game stretch since Melissa took over. I’m hoping last night proved this is not a fluke. It’s been way too long since this team played in Cleveland. Get to the JAR on Saturday! Ball State head coach Brady “The Volcano” Sallee always puts on a good show. 

17 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Any word on Hoban grad Emma Tecca?  She missed a bunch of time early to what I understood was a non-Covid health issue then had a couple of games where she played a little but now she's again disappeared from the box scores.

I've been wondering that a bit myself, but she may just have fallen out of the rotation for now. I don't think Rachel Martindale has been getting as many minutes as she used to and Emma was kind of her backup last year. She certainly looked like a sharpshooter last year. I think others have picked up the 3 pt slack a bit, too. She's been on the bench in uniform, not just dressed in sweats.

Edited by ewbrooman1
  • Like 2

Not a very good performance against a tough Buffalo team. Too many lazy passes and easy missed shots. Missing Corcoran hurt, but did change the rotation and Emma Tecca got in and swished her first three point attempt and got another hoop later. Rasheed gave them some good minutes off the bench, too. 

• Like 1

Defensive battle largely.  We did a good job of holding down their all-MAC combo of Dyaisha Fair (24 ppg) and Summer Hemphill below their averages and neither made a 3-pointer.  They went 1/12 as a team, but we were only 3/19 IIRC.  They just have too many weapons and remain the favorites for Cleveland.  Now who thought Reagan Bass was going to be a big-time freshman performer?  It will be fun to watch her matched with Faith Stinson the linebacker-looking recruit from Sheridan HS next year.

Nice to get back into the win column by closing out another close one. Zips led by 13 after a pair of Dawson triples and Jackson iced the team’s momentum by immediately calling a TO. EMU followed up with a 12-0 run and kept it within 4 for almost the entire 4Q but could never get over the hump. Their best player missed a bunny in the lane that would’ve tied it with about 10 seconds to go. 

Fr. Reagan Bass continues to impress as she had 23 tonight on 8-10 shooting. She is a true post player that this team desperately needed. Dawson had a nice game with 22 pts, 18 boards, and 7 assists, but her 8 turnovers came at very costly times. The Zips stand at 5-3 in league play, good for 5th place with a very winnable game at CMU on Saturday. They’ve got a 2.5 game lead on 9th place, as of right now I like their chances to go to Cleveland. They haven’t been to the Q since 2016. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Nice to get back into the win column by closing out another close one. Zips led by 13 after a pair of Dawson triples and Jackson iced the team’s momentum by immediately calling a TO. EMU followed up with a 12-0 run and kept it within 4 for almost the entire 4Q but could never get over the hump. Their best player missed a bunny in the lane that would’ve tied it with about 10 seconds to go. 

Fr. Reagan Bass continues to impress as she had 23 tonight on 8-10 shooting. She is a true post player that this team desperately needed. Dawson had a nice game with 22 pts, 18 boards, and 7 assists, but her 8 turnovers came at very costly times. The Zips stand at 5-3 in league play, good for 5th place with a very winnable game at CMU on Saturday. They’ve got a 2.5 game lead on 9th place, as of right now I like their chances to go to Cleveland. They haven’t been to the Q since 2016. 

I don't quite vagueries of the women's game, but why would the coach call a time out with a 13 point lead?  aren't their timeouts different in the number they get per quarter as per half like the men.  Also, their timeouts seem longer