2021-2022 Zips Women's Basketball

2 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

Nice to get back into the win column by closing out another close one. Zips led by 13 after a pair of Dawson triples and Jackson iced the team’s momentum by immediately calling a TO. EMU followed up with a 12-0 run and kept it within 4 for almost the entire 4Q but could never get over the hump. Their best player missed a bunny in the lane that would’ve tied it with about 10 seconds to go. 

Fr. Reagan Bass continues to impress as she had 23 tonight on 8-10 shooting. She is a true post player that this team desperately needed. Dawson had a nice game with 22 pts, 18 boards, and 7 assists, but her 8 turnovers came at very costly times. The Zips stand at 5-3 in league play, good for 5th place with a very winnable game at CMU on Saturday. They’ve got a 2.5 game lead on 9th place, as of right now I like their chances to go to Cleveland. They haven’t been to the Q since 2016. 

Yes, EMU is a team we should have beaten double digits, but this is #MACtion.  Two BIG upsets at and near the top of the league tonight as Ohio gave Toledo their first conference loss on the Kitties Court and Ball went to Canada and delivered a knockout punch to the pre-season favorite Bulls (the heifers?) who've suddenly lost three straight.  

Okay, who noticed?  More than half of Eastern's shots were taken by one player.  She scored 32, but took 34 FG attempts and made only 13.  Shades of former Zip John Britton (sp?).  Also note, there is just one MAC team undefeated at home this season, 5-0 Akron.  We HAVE to keep that up, especially when the Rockettes come to town.

CORRECTION:  Ohio outscored Toledo 28-12 in the 4th Qtr IN TOLEDO to shock the Rockettes!  Whoa!  😲

Edited by Z.I.P.
See above!
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, NWAkron said:

I don't quite vagueries of the women's game, but why would the coach call a time out with a 13 point lead?  aren't their timeouts different in the number they get per quarter as per half like the men.  Also, their timeouts seem longer

They play quarters (obviously) with the media timeout coming at the 5 minute mark OR the first called time out of the quarter. EMU called a TO on a loose ball situation 30 seconds into the 4th quarter, so they played the final 9+ minutes without a media. And yes, their media timeouts are 2:30 in length, a minute longer than men’s. 

Off the top of my head, I can’t remember exactly when she called that timeout up 13, but I think it was with maybe a minute or two before the end of the 3Q, when there is a 2:30 break between quarters. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

They play quarters (obviously) with the media timeout coming at the 5 minute mark OR the first called time out of the quarter. EMU called a TO on a loose ball situation 30 seconds into the 4th quarter, so they played the final 9+ minutes without a media. And yes, their media timeouts are 2:30 in length, a minute longer than men’s. 

Off the top of my head, I can’t remember exactly when she called that timeout up 13, but I think it was with maybe a minute or two before the end of the 3Q, when there is a 2:30 break between quarters. 

as they say in the men's thread: a win is a win.  in the Ball State game, that was up tempo with lots of lead changes those media timeouts seemed interminable. 

37 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

as they say in the men's thread: a win is a win.  in the Ball State game, that was up tempo with lots of lead changes those media timeouts seemed interminable. 

They are brutal for sure, I don't really understand why they are longer to begin with, especially a whole minute longer.

31 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Sexist.  LOL.

When the Zips women's team won the MAC tournament, they had players hitting 90+% from the FT line.  I mentioned to someone that the women should be teaching the men's team on FT shooting.  That someone then told me ... you know they play with a smaller basketball?  A part of me died.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, NWAkron said:

When the Zips women's team won the MAC tournament, they had players hitting 90+% from the FT line.  I mentioned to someone that the women should be teaching the men's team on FT shooting.  That someone then told me ... you know they play with a smaller basketball?  A part of me died.

After the part of you that died then, and the part that died after the t-shirt cannon assault, what's left?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 1/28/2022 at 8:31 AM, Captain Kangaroo said:

After the part of you that died then, and the part that died after the t-shirt cannon assault, what's left?

This empty shell of a man watched the second half of the women's game today and they defeated the collapsing Chippewas by 10.  Dawson had 23 and Lane Farrell had 15.  Zips out-rebounded the Chipps 48-30.    6-3 in the MAC and have two tough home games next week against Western and Toledo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Zips women are tied with Buffalo for the #2 spot in the standings. Tough game at home tomorrow against WMU. I'd like to say I'll be there to root them on, but with the weather forecast it looks like ESPN3 for me. 🥶 I have a feeling WMU may have an extended stay in our fair city. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Zips women are tied with Buffalo for the #2 spot in the standings. Tough game at home tomorrow against WMU. I'd like to say I'll be there to root them on, but with the weather forecast it looks like ESPN3 for me. 🥶 I have a feeling WMU may have an extended stay in our fair city. 

Moving the game up a few hours was discussed, but due to staffing issues was unable to be done. I’m sure WMU we be high-tailing it out of the JAR tomorrow, hopefully after a loss to the Zips!

29 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Moving the game up a few hours was discussed, but due to staffing issues was unable to be done. I’m sure WMU we be high-tailing it out of the JAR tomorrow, hopefully after a loss to the Zips!

Considering it's starting and hitting hardest in terms of accumulation in northwest Ohio, heading home then doesn't seem like a good idea. I would think our staff would like to have an early start too, but it sounds like that wasn't possible. Go Zips!

4 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Yes, Akron Zips are 6-3 in MAC play!  Predicted to finish LAST in the league, Zips are tied with pre-season favorites Buffalo for second place.  Wednesday opponent WMU and Ohio are 1/2 game behind at 5-3.  Western lost Monday night 61-47 at home to Northern Illinois - a bad loss, but just another night of MACtion.

This Saturday we face league-leading Toledo at the JAR after starting league play on New Years with a 64-58 loss to the Rockettes at Savage Hall, the closest home game for UT until last week's 79-72 loss to OU.  I really hope our new AD realizes this is the biggest back-to-back games for our WBB Zips since their MAC title year of 2014.  Got to at least get the student bodies out to cheer on this break-through season for coach Jackson's Roo squad.  #GoZipsWBB.

Absolutely awful performance by the Zips. At least 10 of those turnovers were due to passes that never had a chance. And at the end with the chance to take the lead, Dawson tried to draw contact instead of make the layup. Next to nothing from Bass or Corcoran. Just a recipe for disaster, and Saturday won’t be any easier. Bad loss tonight. 

35 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Missed 10 free throws.  How is that possible on D1 level with a smaller basketball?  They should me making at least 80%.  They toyed with our affection...now back to the men's team. 

Short is still short and the back iron is still the back iron. 😉 Ferrell's two missed FTs when she shot for Corcoran were critical. 😖 It was an ugly performance overall.

2 minutes ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Short is still short and the back iron is still the back iron. 😉 Ferrell's two missed FTs when she shot for Corcoran were critical. 😖 It was an ugly performance overall.

Also, when they were up by 9 and rolling in the first half, Dawson (I think) missed 2 and just zapped their momentum.