2021-2022 Zips Women's Basketball

2 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Zips withstand 2nd half Bronco run and prevail 86-70! Zips led 63-37 at one point in 3Q and WMU cut it to 8 at one point I think.

Our #BallHawg carries Akron to its biggest win of the season with a stat line of 26, 10, 6 and 5 (steals).  Led her team in all categories.  What will we do next year???  😄

Huge win tonight! Much needed to keep pace in the race to Cleveland, especially after a couple of tough home losses. This team has a lot of weapons that are pretty inconsistent, but they may just have the highest ceiling of any team in the league. On any given night, Dawson is an incredible scorer and rebounder, Bass can be dominant offensively and defensively in the post, Brewer runs an excellent point-forward, and any of Layne Ferrell, Corcoran, and Martindale can get hot from the perimeter. Akron has put together a squad that could be very dangerous at RMF in March. Just keep winning! Believe!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

3rd in scoring; 3rd in rebounding; 8th in assists; 3rd in steals.  She certainly has a strong argument.

OU's Cierra Hooks is a strong candidate, too. She's got a higher average ppg and much better FG percentage. Good rebounder, too

Edited by ewbrooman1

4 hours ago, ZZZips said:

Cece Hooks did not play today for the Bobcats.  She was injured during their previous game at NIU.  

Thus Western Michigan won 80-73 in Athens.  2nd place Buffalo also lost, in OT to NIU.  Akron sits alone in 3rd.  Team to watch, the women of Brimfield with 5 straight wins and a favorable schedule.  Zips vs Flushettes, next Saturday, 2 p.m. at the JAR.

On 2/12/2022 at 9:15 PM, ZZZips said:

Cece Hooks did not play today for the Bobcats.  She was injured during their previous game at NIU.  

She returned tonight in a victory over the EMUs. Didn't shoot very well - 12 pts, 7 rebs, 10 assists. Played 39 minutes. Apparently she wasn't injured badly.

This isn't your mother's CMU team that's for sure.  However, the Zips closed the gap before half.  When they came out in the 3rd period, they had pulled themselves together, adjusted, and dominated CMU the remainder of the game.  Akron didn't make a 3 until the 4th period.  I think Jordyn had 29 points.  She really is the male LCJ.  She makes things happen on both ends of the floor.  Big game Saturday against Kent.  And, yes, Coach Jackson is surprising me, and I stand corrected.

FYI:  The Zips sit in 3rd place but the gap between 3rd and 8th is 2.5 games.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

This isn't your mother's CMU team that's for sure.  However, the Zips closed the gap before half.  When they came out in the 3rd period, they had pulled themselves together, adjusted, and dominated CMU the remainder of the game.  Akron didn't make a 3 until the 4th period.  I think Jordyn had 29 points.  She really is the male LCJ.  She makes things happen on both ends of the floor.  Big game Saturday against Kent.  And, yes, Coach Jackson is surprising me, and I stand corrected.

FYI:  The Zips sit in 3rd place but the gap between 3rd and 8th is 2.5 games.

Zips took care of business as they should have after a terrible first quarter. The CMU fans sure can't be happy going from first to worst. They're down to 9 scholarship players and have lost their whole sophomore recruiting class to the portal I think.

What a great second half by the Zips. They were patient to get their good looks and there was no doubt about it in the end. Perimeter shooting was bad until late. Other than that, another nice win.

Pack the JAR on Saturday! Help give these kids the environment they deserve for their biggest game of the year!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, clarkwgriswold said:

Both teams in dark colors?

Yes.  It's confusing.   Zips up by 1 after ugly 3rd quarter on both sides.  Zips had chances to push up the lead.  Flushettes had chances to take lead.  Jordyn sat out most of quarter with 3 fouls.  Amazing # of lay ups missed.