2021-2022 Zips Women's Basketball

5 minutes ago, MDZip said:

Not going to win many turning the ball over 26 times and missing probably 10 shots at the rim. On the bright side Jordyn Dawson should be MAC player of the year. Top-5 in the MAC in points, rebounds, assists, and steals. No one has had a greater impact on her team (a team that was predicted to finish in last place). 

IDK nothing about nothing, but I got the feeling that when the tide started to turn in the 3rd quarter and the turnovers were adding up fast, Coach Jackson called it a night.

3 hours ago, NWAkron said:

I like to watch Buffalo's coach. She's intimidating 

It's a great fortune to have a coach of Felisha Jack's resume in the MAC.  She is I believe Syracuse' all-time leading scorer, and could eventually end up at her alma-mater.  Either Buffalo or Toledo is very capable of winning multiple NCAA tournament games.  

18 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

It's a great fortune to have a coach of Felisha Jack's resume in the MAC.  She is I believe Syracuse' all-time leading scorer, and could eventually end up at her alma-mater.  Either Buffalo or Toledo is very capable of winning multiple NCAA tournament games.  

I've always admired and respected  her demeanor on the sidelines. Tough but caring, not to mention very successful. It will be hard for her to resist if Syracuse calls. She was not successful at Indiana, though.

• Like 1

Looks like the women's team is cursed.  Jackson puts Dawson back in and within minutes is injured and is being helped off the court.  Rolled her ankle.

EDIT:  Phew.  Jordyn is back on the bench...looking to go back in.😅

2nd EDIT:  Starting guard Annika Corcoran injured as well.   She's not walking on it.  Can't see her playing next week.  Fortunately, Coach Jackson has some good back up guards.

Oh...and the women won just like the men with a defensive stop.

Edited by NWAkron

Zips will have to play a lot better up in Cleveland than the last two games. Got whipped by a really good team and squeaked one out against a really bad team today without its best player in the second half. Almost 50 turnovers in two games. Looks like they will play WMU in the first round. I guess it's survive and advance time.

Edited by ewbrooman1

1 hour ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Zips will have to play a lot better up in Cleveland than the last two games. Got whipped by a really good team and squeaked one out against a really bad team today without its best player in the second half. Almost 50 turnovers in two games. Looks like they will play WMU in the first round. I guess it's survive and advance time.

Correction. Zips play BGSU. (MAC needs to put their standings in correct order to agree with seeding)

Game 1:  (11:00am) NO. 1 TOLEDO --NO. 8 OHIO

Game 2: 30 min following Game 1 (ESPN+)

NO. 4 NORTHERN ILLINOIS --NO. 5 BALL STATE

Game 3: 30 min following Game 2 (ESPN+)

NO. 2 BUFFALO --NO. 7 WESTERN MICHIGAN

Game 4: 30 min following Game 3 (ESPN+)

NO. 3 AKRON --NO. 6 BOWLING GREEN

Edited by NWAkron

2 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Game 1:  (11:00am) NO. 1 TOLEDO --NO. 8 OHIO

Game 2: 30 min following Game 1 (ESPN+)

NO. 4 NORTHERN ILLINOIS --NO. 5 BALL STATE

Game 3: 30 min following Game 2 (ESPN+)

NO. 2 BUFFALO --NO. 7 WESTERN MICHIGAN

Game 4: 30 min following Game 3 (ESPN+)

NO. 3 AKRON --NO. 6 BOWLING GREEN

Ohio U (9-10) gets eighth seed over (10-10) KSU. That ain't right, even if it is KSU that loses out. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Ohio U (9-10) gets eighth seed over (10-10) KSU. That ain't right, even if it is KSU that loses out. 

I can't see any criteria that would allow that to happen. With an unequal number of games it's supposed to be by winning percentage. There were several tied 10-10 teams and KSU lost that criteria but it shouldn't also lose to a team with a worse record. Weird.

Edit: Finally found it. Apparently as part of the pandemic rules any team within a half game of another is considered tied and then the tiebreakers are applied so there were four teams alive at "10-10" for the last three seeds and KSU lost out. 

Go Zips! Beat the 10-10 Falcons (who were the "winners" of the 10-10 logjam). 

Edited by MDZip

A very interesting stat from the Kent-OU game…

Cece Hooks for OU is one of the best players in league history. She went 4-21 from the field, and 0-11 at the FT line. That’s one of the most amazing stats I’ve ever seen in a basketball game at this level. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

A very interesting stat from the Kent-OU game…

Cece Hooks for OU is one of the best players in league history. She went 4-21 from the field, and 0-11 at the FT line. That’s one of the most amazing stats I’ve ever seen in a basketball game at this level. 

Hopefully that final performance will help Dawson's argument for MAC POY.

Looking at that box score further, Hooks was also 0-6 from 3 pt range. Erica Johnson was 5-21 FG and 1-11 from 3 pt range. Ohio U. shot 26.9% FG and Flushes shot 27.1%. Man, that must have been some ugly brickfest. 😬

Edited by ewbrooman1

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

She’s gotta get her jersey hung in the rafters. Do we have any women’s jerseys up there?

Pam Arnold.  And it’s the worst player photo ever. It’s like they scanned a 1985 pic from the Beacon and blew it up. Check it out the next time you’re in the JAR. 

• Like 1

Well deserved - even more impressive when you look at her conference stats - which for conference player of the year ought to carry more weight. First in scoring, 4th in rebounding 5th in shooting percentage. I know she's way up in assists as well but my mobile app couldn't get to those. All for a team that was predicted to finish last in the league. She certainly stepped up her game this year. I hope she has a chat with her brother. 🤣

And don't forget Reagan Bass either, made the all freshman team and honorable mention all conference. Well done. 😊

3 hours ago, MDZip said:

Well deserved - even more impressive when you look at her conference stats - which for conference player of the year ought to carry more weight. First in scoring, 4th in rebounding 5th in shooting percentage. I know she's way up in assists as well but my mobile app couldn't get to those. All for a team that was predicted to finish last in the league. She certainly stepped up her game this year. I hope she has a chat with her brother. 🤣

And don't forget Reagan Bass either, made the all freshman team and honorable mention all conference. Well done. 😊

While only 14th in minutes per game.  Impressive efficiency.