2021-2022 Zips Women's Basketball

4 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Sign of the Apocalypse?  The ABJ runs a human interest story on a homegrown Akron Zip! 🤯

Nice story, but Brewer needs to up her game a bit. She was just OK this year and down from last year. Maybe it was having to adjust to Bass playing the post this year.

Edited by ewbrooman1

On 3/5/2022 at 6:33 PM, NWAkron said:

Game 1:  (11:00am) NO. 1 TOLEDO --NO. 8 OHIO

Game 2: 30 min following Game 1 (ESPN+)

NO. 4 NORTHERN ILLINOIS --NO. 5 BALL STATE

Game 3: 30 min following Game 2 (ESPN+)

NO. 2 BUFFALO --NO. 7 WESTERN MICHIGAN

Game 4: 30 min following Game 3 (ESPN+)

NO. 3 AKRON --NO. 6 BOWLING GREEN

Toledo starting to pull away from Ohio now. It was a two possession game at most for majority of the game. 

3:11 left in 4th quarter
#1 Toledo 69
#8 Ohio 59

FINAL - Quarterfinal Game #1

#1 Toledo 80
#8 Ohio 67

Toledo will move on to play against the winner of Ball State vs Northern Illinois. That tip approximately at 1:30pm. 

With coaching high school basketball, this was my first true time getting to watch Toledo. They're going to be tough the next few years (as long as transfer portal doesn't hit them). Out of their 8 player rotation, they're only losing one senior (#12 Jayda Jansen). They had four score in double figure and two others either one or two points away from double figures. Sophia Wiard (a Junior) and Quinesha Lockett (a Junior) had 19 points each. 

Ohio is very skilled, but couldn’t really come back against deficits like that all year with Hooks’ inability to shoot from the outside or hit free throws consistently. The game went a couple minutes past 1:00pm so the second game will tip a little after 1:30, setting back the schedule a few minutes. I’d expect the Zips to tip around 7pm tonight. 

2 hours ago, mes102 said:

FINAL - Quarterfinal Game #1

#1 Toledo 80
#8 Ohio 67

Toledo will move on to play against the winner of Ball State vs Northern Illinois. That tip approximately at 1:30pm. 

With coaching high school basketball, this was my first true time getting to watch Toledo. They're going to be tough the next few years (as long as transfer portal doesn't hit them). Out of their 8 player rotation, they're only losing one senior (#12 Jayda Jansen). They had four score in double figure and two others either one or two points away from double figures. Sophia Wiard (a Junior) and Quinesha Lockett (a Junior) had 19 points each. 

Toledo was also without 6'5" Hannah Noveroske today who won MAC 6th Player award. Didn't hear why.

Edited by ewbrooman1

FINAL 

#5 Ball State 60
#4 Northern Illinois 54

Ball State moves on to play Toledo. Ball State lost to Toledo 55-58 (in Muncie) on January 19th and 66-69 (in Toledo) on February 19th. That MAC Tournament Semifinal game #1 will be played at 10:00am on Friday morning. 

First MAC tournament win for Ball State women's program since 2014. 

Edited by mes102

2 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

Ohio is very skilled, but couldn’t really come back against deficits like that all year with Hooks’ inability to shoot from the outside or hit free throws consistently. The game went a couple minutes past 1:00pm so the second game will tip a little after 1:30, setting back the schedule a few minutes. I’d expect the Zips to tip around 7pm tonight. 

At the pace they're going right now, I would say tip for the Lady Zips will be between 6:30pm and 7:00pm. 

3 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

If Akron beats BG, they will have the impossible task of playing Buffalo who are locked in and I would say the favorite to win the tournament.

Agreed. Hemphill, Camp, and Fair are a tough trio to try and outscore. If I recall correctly, at least Hemphill and Fair was on the Buffalo team that made it to the NCAA Sweet 16 a few years ago. 

4 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Nice story, but Brewer needs to up her game a bit. She was just OK this year and down from last year. Maybe it was having to adjust to Bass playing the post this year.

Yeah. She had an underwhelming year. I watch her and it looks like the D-1 game still just moves a liiiiittle too fast for her.

I know the Lady Zips still have to finish the second half against BG, but if they do that, Friday will be interesting. 

The last time Ball State won a MAC tourney game? They were the 5 seed and ended up beating top seed Bowling Green in semifinals. What was the other semifinal result? #3 Akron beat #2 Central Michigan (after losing to Central by 26 in the regular season) where Akron would go on to beat Ball State to win the MAC Tournament. 

14 minutes ago, MDZip said:

Corcoran didn't play much and wasn't very effective when she was in. I'll bet that ankle is still bothering her. Good thing the rest of her team picked her up. 

Great job by Kendall Miller to take over most of the ball handling duties.