2021-2022 Zips Women's Basketball

18 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Did Melissa Jackson call that timeout?!  I thought OU called the timeout to stop Akron's momentum.  Good grief.

Sounds like my daughter's high school coach. She loves to call a time out and kill our own moment and get the other team back into the game. I can't even tell you how many games we've lost because of it.

Edited by blueandgold

For Akron WBB this is the toughest trudge of the season, the struggle to finish and hopefully get a top-four seed (would that gain a first-round bye or something?).  The currently third place Zips will be underdogs in the next three games @Bowling Green, @Ohio and vs Buffalo at home -- they finish with Miami at the JAR.  For this team to finish in the top four it will require at least one win in the next three -- I think the most likely coming versus #2 U@Buffalo.  However the regular season concludes, this has been a dramatic possible turning point for the program.  The team should be chosen at least for the WNIT, which would mark the first return to the post-season in like six or seven seasons.  Jordyn Dawson is still in contention for league player of the year, and coach Jackson for coach of the year.  Hope the fans and especially the students will come out and cheer the team on in its two remaining home contests and at the Fieldhouse.

I'm really hoping the Zips can stay on the 3-seed line going into Cleveland. That game would tip around 7pm and give any Zips fans that may not have the chance to go to a mid-day game up there to make the trip. By my non-scientific mathematical analysis, I think the Zips need to win 2 more games to lock up that spot, at least for me to feel good about their chances to lock up that spot. It is indeed a tough stretch, and I can't stop thinking about that awful timeout that killed momentum of what would have been a huge win toward locking up that spot.

Anyway, it's time to move on. The Zips match up well with BG, so tonight is a big opportunity. Assuming the Zips will beat Miami in the regular season finale, they need to win just one game of @BG, @OU, or home vs. UB to pretty much lock it up. Certainly doable, but this team has had some brutal close and unexpected losses. Also, it's time to build some momentum and confidence heading into tournament play too, something that not a single player in the program has any experience with.

18 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

A thriller of a game! Really back and forth, and I don’t like complaining about officiating but BG got away with a lot of physicality. Unfortunately for them, Akron is TOUGH. That’s a huge win toward locking up the 3-seed. Congrats, ladies! Go Zips!

BG has that big country girl.

38 minutes ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Announcer said she was ill. Dawson is ailing, but playing probably limited minutes. Going to be a tough one. 

Molly Neitzel hasn't played yet either, wondering if she's under the weather too. Getting good minutes from Alanna Carter, though.

Edited by ewbrooman1