Nittany Lions won 2-1 at UMich today.  This will NOT be an easy one.  Seems like a veteran roster to me.

The GA State result should not surprise.  We still have a lot of work to do in the final third and corners (as someone already cited) suck.  Looking over Panthers roster showed some mean looking dudes.  #10 has a busted face in his pic, LOL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zippypitt said:

Nittany Lions won 2-1 at UMich today.  This will NOT be an easy one.  Seems like a veteran roster to me.

The GA State result should not surprise.  We still have a lot of work to do in the final third and corners (as someone already cited) suck.  Looking over Panthers roster showed some mean looking dudes.  #10 has a busted face in his pic, LOL.

We were giving him crap during the match, but Georgia State Panther's Matthew Fearnley is a good player.  He also looks like he is not adverse to combat.

Matthew Fearnley - 2021 - Men's Soccer - Georgia State University (georgiastatesports.com)

Ask Danny Strachan about #10.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zippypitt said:

I have watched Nittany Lions twice this season.  This will be a very stern test.

Penn State right now is first in the big ten with a 4-0-0 record.  

Wisconsin is 2nd with 3-0-1 and Maryland is 3rd with 3-1-1 record.

A win against the Nittanys would also help the zips in RPI.   Penn State is 22 in RPI right now.

October 18 opponent Michigan is 2-2-1 in BTen and 44 in rpi

Looking at MAC teams and current RPIS

BGSU   24

Akron   32   (win over Pitt is really helping them as Pitt keeps knocking off high ranked ACC teams)

WVU   38

GA State   47

NIU    58

Ga Southern   88

W. Michigan    135

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/10/2021 at 7:55 PM, fknbuflobo said:

We were giving him crap during the match, but Georgia State Panther's Matthew Fearnley is a good player.  He also looks like he is not adverse to combat.

Matthew Fearnley - 2021 - Men's Soccer - Georgia State University (georgiastatesports.com)

Ask Danny Strachan about #10.

Yeah, that's the face of a guy who grew up pretty much in the middle between Liverpool and Manchester. Hard to grow up candy-ass in that neck of the English woods (have NO idea why there are two of each pic and cannot delete the dups - sorry about that) ...

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 1

2-1 wins for both the Zips and USMNT tonight. I'll take both!

To those who watched, what was different for the Zips tonight?...lineup? rest? motivation?

Seems that the Georgia State may have been a trap...it happens to the best of teams. When playing well, we're a Top 10 team, just gotta stay focused.

Edited by UAZipster0305
  • Like 2

While the game was going on, I looked at the interactive RPI report.

Penn State was 22 ; Akron was 28..

There are still about 10 west coast games to be played later tonight

But as of right now, Penn State dropped to 28 in the RPI.   Our zips played very well tonight and they are currently sitting at 21 in the RPI.

2 huge games next week....Michigan and BGSU.   I sure hope that the zips athletic department heavily promotes the BGSU game.    Zips have to get a win in that game....and they need the students and community to come out and support the Zips.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UAZipster0305 said:

To those who watched, what was different for the Zips tonight?...lineup? rest? motivation?

Seems that the Georgia State may have been a trap...it happens to the best of teams. When playing well, we're a Top 10 team, just gotta stay focused.

I almost posted after the Georgia State game a critical post on Embick's lineup but deleted it before I posted it since he knows more than I do.  The gist of it was we can't start Carlo, Strachan and Jonas with one of them as the holding midfielders as it was hurting us linking up from the back.  My preference based on what I have seen this year was Carlo on the bench until he is fully healthy or even waiting to take over for Strachan after graduation next year.  Today Carlo didn't start and came in with about 5 minutes left while we were protecting the lead.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, UAZipster0305 said:

I thought a big difference tonight was the Nits played that high defense..at least in first half..but their defenders were beat downfield repeatedly by the Zips transition attack which resulted in more quality shots on net. Props to Embick for a perfect tactic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zippyfan34 said:

I almost posted after the Georgia State game a critical post on Embick's lineup but deleted it before I posted it since he knows more than I do.  The gist of it was we can't start Carlo, Strachan and Jonas with one of them as the holding midfielders as it was hurting us linking up from the back.  My preference based on what I have seen this year was Carlo on the bench until he is fully healthy or even waiting to take over for Strachan after graduation next year.  Today Carlo didn't start and came in with about 5 minutes left while we were protecting the lead.

What you have said above is one of the most incisive postings on this forum in several years.  Bravo! 

We have three good Center Backs.  Each of them is diminished when trying to play Holding Midfield. Carlo Ritaccio is not fully recovered.  Jonas Buechte works well with Daniel Strachan because he follows Danny's lead.  We could try a three CB line, but that would entail changing our preferred system (easier said than done).  I would add that Carlo Ritaccio is still a very influential leader on the team, whether or not he is starting.

• Like 2

Congratulations to our Zips on a well-played game last night...first home game I've missed since 2016 when I went to Europe. (You got me @fknbuflobo. Ugh.) I watched on the ESPN app while attending the USA v CRC men's WC Qualifier in Columbus (thanks Columbus Crew / Lower.com Field for the free wifi)...the only sporting event (USMNT WCQ or WC game) that could take me away from our Zips Men's Soccer team. Great night for the USA Men and Zips Men's Soccer with each getting 2-1 wins and DeAndre Yedlin getting into the US match for significant minutes.

Keep it going Zips!

Go Zips!!! Go USA!!!

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 2