Game 7- Miami

clarkwgriswold

The Zips head to Oxford this week for Miami's homecoming.  Hopefully they can ruin Miami's homecoming like they ruined BG's.  Miami stands at 2-4 with wins against LIU and Central Michigan and losses to Cincinnati, Minnesota, Army and Eastern Michigan.    The Zips are 19.5 point underdogs.

Edited by clarkwgriswold

Players and coaches working hard this week to improve in all four phases of the game - offense, defense, special teams and in-game sideline management.

Prediction #1: ZERO sideline warnings. That's right - no first offense!

Prediction #2: Zips win this one going away 30-29.

• Like 1

Difficult game to handicap this week.

Miami is unexplosive, unsexy, and underachieving. But can they top the 2-4 Zips, who awoke from a 1,000 day nap last week, garnering their first road win of the Tom Arth era. And only the 3rd win of said era.

Miami nipped the 0-12, 2019 Zips team 17-20, so we know their staff has the capability of overlooking a seemingly inferior opponent.

How good are the Zips? If you go by the last 2 quarters of the OU game, and the first 1.5 quarters (3/8ths?) of the BG game, they're horrible. BG had to set a record for lowest score in D1 history when when compared to their field position. How did these clowns beat Minnesota?

The Zips tried to give the game away with a blocked FG, blocked punt inside their own 30, fumble inside their own 30, and INT inside their own 30...and a muffed punt inside their 10 that was fortunately recovered.

Still, Zach Gibson, behind a completely re-vamped offensive line, bested DJ Irons efficient Auburn effort with an astounding 14 of 15 for 177 yards and 3 TDs. 

Akron defenders were the beneficiaries of 5 BG turnovers. I think they had 13 total turnovers in Arth's first season?

I think the 19.5 point spread favoring Miami is insane. They scored 12 total points last week. 

When misunderstanding a GT press conference question this week, Arth blasted at George "WHO WOULD YOU START(at QB)?" I wish George would have ran with it and responded "Are you serious? GIBSON! Did you see what that kid did on Saturday!?" 

I don't see Kato starting again, unless they give him a token series at Kent, or Senior day, out of respect for his time served.

So the prediction...and I consider myself a healthy 4.5 and 1.5 on the season after missing last week's Zips win, and missing OU's margin of victory...

Absolutely take the 19.5 points if it is still available.

Absolutely take Zach Gibson and his revamped offensive line to pull a major upset over the overconfident Redhawks.

Zips 24 Miami 23

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, GoZips86 said:

Who does everyone think is QB1 for this game? Certainly not Kato I assume. So, that leaves 2 options. 

I'd expect even DJ Irons would vote for Gibson to start the game. And have a reasonably long leash to work his way through a mistake or two. 

I'm as big an Irons fan as anyone that doesn't have the last name "Irons," but if what Gibson did in half #2 lands him holding a clipboard this week I'm removing my "Extend Arth" sign from the front yard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I'd expect even DJ Irons would vote for Gibson to start the game. And have a reasonably long leash to work his way through a mistake or two. 

I'm as big an Irons fan as anyone that doesn't have the last name "Irons," but if what Gibson did in half #2 lands him holding a clipboard this week I'm removing my "Extend Arth" sign from the front yard.

Ive seen stranger things happen. Have to wait till gametime.

7 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I don't see Kato starting again, unless they give him a token series at Kent, or Senior day, out of respect for his time served.

I'm laying down in my hotel room and actually started to laugh when I saw this. Playing QB for 10 years for Akron and a prison sentence are very similar. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Difficult game to handicap this week.

Miami is unexplosive, unsexy, and underachieving. But can they top the 2-4 Zips, who awoke from a 1,000 day nap last week, garnering their first road win of the Tom Arth era. And only the 3rd win of said era.

Miami nipped the 0-12, 2019 Zips team 17-20, so we know their staff has the capability of overlooking a seemingly inferior opponent.

How good are the Zips? If you go by the last 2 quarters of the OU game, and the first 1.5 quarters (3/8ths?) of the BG game, they're horrible. BG had to set a record for lowest score in D1 history when when compared to their field position. How did these clowns beat Minnesota?

The Zips tried to give the game away with a blocked FG, blocked punt inside their own 30, fumble inside their own 30, and INT inside their own 30...and a muffed punt inside their 10 that was fortunately recovered.

Still, Zach Gibson, behind a completely re-vamped offensive line, bested DJ Irons efficient Auburn effort with an astounding 14 of 15 for 177 yards and 3 TDs. 

Akron defenders were the beneficiaries of 5 BG turnovers. I think they had 13 total turnovers in Arth's first season?

I think the 19.5 point spread favoring Miami is insane. They scored 12 total points last week. 

When misunderstanding a GT press conference question this week, Arth blasted at George "WHO WOULD YOU START(at QB)?" I wish George would have ran with it and responded "Are you serious? GIBSON! Did you see what that kid did on Saturday!?" 

So the prediction...and I consider myself a healthy 4.5 and 1.5 on the season after missing last week's Zips win, and missing OU's margin of victory...

Absolutely take the 19.5 points if it is still available.

Absolutely take Zach Gibson and his revamped offensive line to pull a major upset over the overconfident Redhawks.

Zips 24 Miami 23

I hope that Arth has finally found something with the 'new' offense. But I get nervous when a back up QB who hasn't seen the field blows the top off with his performance. We have seen this before with other QB's. One good game, looks like the guy but can't carry it over. Arth needs to start Gibson this week to try to see if he is for 'real'. Can't keep shuffling QB's or O linemen. Let 'em play unless they get injured. That's the only way to finally see who can play consistently at this level. Again, I hope that the offense that finished the game last week is for real.

Better get the porous D straightened out though. I still don't see anyone aspect of the D that stands out. A couple of individuals but not as a unit. 

Hope they win. But, not placing significant capital on it. Another road win and they have some real momentum.

I really don't know what to think about this game. There are so many things going on. For example: Is the D for real? Is Gibson for real? Does Gibson even start? Do we have a running back? Do we have an O-line? And those are only the questions I have about Akron! As for Miami, who is the QB? Who is the RB? Who is catching passes? Will the playcalling be conservative again? Is the defense actually decent? Both teams are in somewhat similar places so far this year, at least in MAC play. Both fanbases are kind of fed up with the quality of play and in general are pessimistic about where things are going. 

Looking at Miami, they have been in a really weird place the last 5 years or so. Ever since they began the 2016 season 0-6 and then won their final 6, they've been in what feels like a MAC football purgatory of both being a very good MAC team, yet a very underwhelming and not scary MAC team. They won the MAC title in 2019, but not one time has that program seemed like a championship program. All I can really say about them is they have some of the better players in the league, and have for a few years, but they're just not that impressive. With that said, if they repeat their embarrassment of Akron from last year, I would not be the least bit surprised. Chuck Martin, though perhaps on his way down there, built that program up slowly and with a foundation of very good talent, eventually leading them to that MAC title. At the same time, he has been prone to big time hiccups just as much as he is big wins, with Akron nearly pulling out the upset here in 2019 as 30-point underdogs.

For Akron, and Tom Arth specifically, there is a big opportunity in this game to further create an identity for the program. Last week was the first time I could look at that sideline in 3 seasons and say that I was happy with what I saw. I'm curious as to what the motivation was going into that game, or what it was during the catastrophic first couple of drives when it looked like BG was going to run away with it. As fun and as dominant a win as that was, I'm still not really sold on this team. It was almost too fluky, specifically with the amount of turnovers, and as Captain said, BGs point total in regards to field position. The second half was a lot more promising from an offensive standpoint, as Akron really did dominate. But, it all came out of nowhere and not a soul expected it. Was it a fluke? Damn, I hope not.

I remember the final year of the previous staff. Coming off an East title. You think you have a QB. You have confidence going to Nebraska...canceled. Kill Morgan State. Fluky Northwestern win. Give a good Iowa State team all they can handle. 2-1 going into BYE week with Miami waiting at Infocision for homecoming. F L O P. Got destroyed while favored on homecoming. And it was all downhill from there. My level of hope going into that game is similar to my level of hope going into this game. Same opponent, different arena. 

A win, and there's a chance Akron football matters in the 2021 MAC East race with Buffalo coming to town, which sounds so stupid. A loss (moreso a blowout), and we may be back to same old Arth, same old Akron. I am hopeful, and I'm very, very excited to see what happens! GO ZIPS!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

Reading this thread I get the feeling that most posters on this thread should, if they are not already, become members of the optimist club.

I'm not ready to sign on at this point, but if the Zips pull off the upset over the Red Turds I may apply for membership.

Exactly how I'm feeling.  I've been burned too many times with Akron football to be overly optimistic about one good half against a team that was picked last in the MAC.  The contrast between the 2nd half vs OU and the 2nd half vs BG is quite stark.  Put together two good halves in Oxford and I'll be laminating my membership card.

38 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

Reading this thread I get the feeling that most posters on this thread should, if they are not already, become members of the optimist club.

I'm not ready to sign on at this point, but if the Zips pull off the upset over the Red Turds I may apply for membership.

I''ll be the person responsible for collecting dues.  Please PM me your credit card info.

I'm not savvy enough; where is Dr Z?  We should be having more fun this week.  Three for Thursday ideas:

TO margin--Zips +2 or more/ even/. Zips -2 or more

Total yds O for Zips-- <200/ 200 to 400/ >400

Leading receiver-- Mumpfield/ Qualls/ Hester/ Brank

Bonus:  O/U 45-- O or U