Game 7- Miami

clarkwgriswold

Last week I turned off the game after the first half and was surprised to see a Zips win.  This week I was going to be optimistic and watch the game.  I had to work and tuned in the game with 6 minutes left in the half and watched Miami score an easy touchdown to make it 21-7.  I then watched Gibson throw some nice passes and we were driving when we ran the ball one time and the back fumbled.  I watched the second half and there was a key third and five.  Miami threw an easy 10 yard pass in front of our safety.  Why can't we play man on short yardage and at least make the quarterback work for the first down.  The next play they score on a handoff.   We get the ball back and Gibson throws a nice pass for a first down and there is a holding penalty that negates the play.  On that same series the same lineman that holds has an illegal procedure penalty.  The next play a personal foul.  It is 4th and a mile and we punt.  I turned off the game.  I watched a quarter and saw 4 mistakes.  This team does not have the talent level to make 4 mistakes in 12 minutes.  

I was on the road back from a nice vacation in Pigeon Forge and streamed the game in the third quarter.

They started giving up penalties and points, fell way behind, then had one player line up offsides. THREE TIMES. 

I then realized I need a vacation from the Zips, not work. Went back to listening to tunes…

Edited by Spin

21 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

GT's transparent apathy towards his gig as Zips' beat writer used to aggravate me.  But I'm beginning to feel sorry for him for having to cover the football team every week.

At least he doesn't have to travel to do it.  I bet he's looking forward to basketball too.

7 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

Technically, it is Bad English - more formally known as disambiguation (enumerable examples of this appear in posts on ZipsNation).

I get that, I don't mean to be grammar police.....  But  "are"    for     "our"         WOW!

What is there to say about this game? It's about what I was expecting. That's a decent MAC football team, and Akron's performance the prior week was both a combination of fluky and BG being horrendous. 

I learned a few things yesterday. Number one is the obvious. The defense remains pathetic. The defensive backfield is helpless against good quarterbacks. And we still have Drew Plitt, Dustin Crum, and Kaleb Eleby on the schedule. Yiiiiikes. Big play after big play. It just wasn't stopping. Feeney must go. That's all there is to it. 

Another thing I learned is that the passing game might be okay. This is the first time in back to back weeks of the Arth era we've seen them perform. There was certainly a lot of garbage time yardage, I'll give you that. But I have confidence in Gibson when he drops back. His decision making has come a long way, and he moves around well. Mumpfield continues to be an absolute monster.

Next, the run game is rather weak. I haven't yet missed Teon Dollard this season as much as I did watching that game yesterday. Yes, the line is terrible. But that fumble was very costly, and there was simply no forward push for most of the day. You will not be good if you can't be successful there. 

A couple more I'll put into this one bullet point. The penalties yesterday reminded me of the football I watched from 2012-2018. Completely unacceptable and that's on the coaching. It hasn't been a problem this year until yesterday (not counting sideline penalties), Akron had usually been a fairly disciplined team. In addition to poor discipline--special teams/return teams. What the hell? How many people on this board knew about the dropped fair catch rule to begin with this year, and now we've seen it twice! Catch the freaking ball!! That's 3 dropped kicks in the last two weeks. Not okay. Also on kick returns and offense in general, when there's a situation where there is a lead blocker, the lead blocker looks so lost I feel like I'm watching peewee. I think Tony Grimes was a lead blocker for a return yesterday and he just jogged up the field looking lost as 4 RedHawks stormed by him to take Mathison down for a bad return. The full back missed every single block during the Bryant game too. And those were the only times I was actually paying attention to stuff like that, I can't imagine how much more of that junk happens.

As I said yesterday, I believe Akron is an improved football team from the past two years, but Akron is still a bottom 3 MAC team and that's unacceptable. If Arth doesn't get at least one more win, I won't feel any optimism moving forward. I could potentially be sold on one more year of Arth for the sake that so many contributors on offense are freshman or sophomores, but if Matt Feeney remains on that sideline after this season is over, I will have seen all that I need to. On to Buffalo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@LoyalZIP great post.

I only find solace in that our offense starts 9 freshmen (including all OL), 1 sophomore (Mathison), and one junior (Quals).

That simply has to be an NCAA record.  It's just not fathomable any NCAA D-1 football team has ever started so many freshmen.  It makes no sense, really.  It's not as though Arth was required to literally start from scratch.

In '23-'24 our offense should be great.  But who wants to wait that long?  It's been long enough as it is.

On defense, we just can't hold the LOS.  Very few TFL's & very few QB pressures, let alone sacks.  Opposing QB's are far too comfortable.  IMHO, that's the primary problem with our DB's.  

(Though Watts is a better S than CB.  That's really illustrated, for me, the truism of how tough it is to find top shelf CB's.)

36 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

@LoyalZIP great post.

I only find solace in that our offense starts 9 freshmen (including all OL), 1 sophomore (Mathison), and one junior (Quals).

That simply has to be an NCAA record.  It's just not fathomable any NCAA D-1 football team has ever started so many freshmen.  It makes no sense, really.  It's not as though Arth was required to literally start from scratch.

In '23-'24 our offense should be great.  But who wants to wait that long?  It's been long enough as it is.

On defense, we just can't hold the LOS.  Very few TFL's & very few QB pressures, let alone sacks.  Opposing QB's are far too comfortable.  IMHO, that's the primary problem with our DB's.  

(Though Watts is a better S than CB.  That's really illustrated, for me, the truism of how tough it is to find top shelf CB's.)

I appreciate it. The transfer portal would do this program absolute wonders. Of course, this would sort of include Dollard but that’s besides the point. 2 P5 transfer on either the offensive or defensive line would be exactly what they need. Watching Kent get throttled yesterday, I was in amazement at WMU’s ability to control the line of scrimmage for all 60 minutes. They have outstanding talent at QB, RB, and WR, but the difference was made at the line. And I keep waiting to see Akron establish that with their youth, who is gaining more experience week to week, but all of these Zagorski recruits may just be busts. And that resets the clock once again. How do you speed up that clock? The portal!!!

1 hour ago, 94zipgrad said:

Dam, you guys are brutal for getting are & our mixed up with talk to text.  It’s ok, I can handle it 😂.  Maybe, instead of a football forum we should make it a proper English forum.  Might be more exciting then this current team.

We may have been overly hard on you 94. After all, in that same post you were only one o away from using the correct too.

2 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't this the second or third year we've been talking about our young offensive line?

2nd. Though last year was only 6 games and they've mixed starters up quite a bit this year. I was in favor of bringing at least one in from the portal and still am for next year.

4 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

Dam, you guys are brutal for getting are & our mixed up with talk to text.  It’s ok, I can handle it 😂.  Maybe, instead of a football forum we should make it a proper English forum.  Might be more exciting then this current team.

1 hour ago, 94zipgrad said:

I’ll admit, I would of got that wrong, what are you?  An English teacher?

I'm not an English teacher; just a guy who knows the difference between then and than.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

Technically, it is Bad English - more formally known as disambiguation (enumerable examples of this appear in posts on ZipsNation).

Or an overactive spell checker

Very frustrating game to watch. Luckily I ordered pizza and wings while I watched, so that was a positive. The defense is absolutely horrid. It reminds me of the Browns before they became somewhat relevant now. You just know they can't compete and assume a 3rd and 10 will likely be converted. And many times it certainly does. Ugh. 

Offensively I'm more confident in. Not perfect by any means, but there is potential and a few "stars". Mumpfield is the man!!  Our defense on the other hand....no.

I am hoping for another win this season, but goodness, I'm not confident in them at all to be able to pull off a win. It's very frustrating. Not sure where this goes. 

3 minutes ago, GoZips86 said:

Luckily I ordered pizza and wings while I watched, so that was a positive.

I hope you meant this to be funny because it was. The bar for successfully ordering pizza and wings is pretty low. If the Zips can't achieve this level of skill, it must have been really bad.

• Haha 1