Conference Realignment

zipsrule

24 minutes ago, Lee Adams said:

Maybe you don't have to go to DII but, unless the AD can attract competent coaches consistently the program will not attract enough players who can play at the MAC level. 

Akron has hired "competent" coaches several times. One can argue Arth is a competent coach. Where Akron keeps missing is too many times it doesn't hire the right coach for Akron. We keep hiring coaches based upon what people want Akron to be and not what it is/can be. 

Heck, the MAC keeps making decisions on what it wants to be and not what it is. Leads to one disaster after another. 

• Like 1

Arth was way over his head for FBS. He showed he was a competent coach at the D3 level, but D3 is much different than the FBS. He honestly should have went out and got at least 1 guy who had long-term FBS experience to be his OC or DC to help him with the transition and bring him up to speed. Instead he brought his equally inexperienced staff.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, GP1 said:

Akron has hired "competent" coaches several times. One can argue Arth is a competent coach. Where Akron keeps missing is too many times it doesn't hire the right coach for Akron. We keep hiring coaches based upon what people want Akron to be and not what it is/can be. 

Heck, the MAC keeps making decisions on what it wants to be and not what it is. Leads to one disaster after another. 

We keep hiring coaches who would do well if Akron was playing at their appropriate level.

By appropriate, I mean other programs with the same resources UA has. 

Im not an elitist. I enjoyed watching the Rubber Ducks win the league championship (that many here would laugh at) a lot more than watching the cheapass Indians try to compete in MLB. Those of us who were at that game will never forget it. YMMV. It was entertaining to see the Canton Charge play in their league. I don’t want to see them play the Lakers.

It is what it is. 

Edited by Spin

2 minutes ago, Spin said:

We keep hiring coaches who would do well if Akron was playing at their appropriate level.

By appropriate, I mean other programs with the same resources UA has. 

Other than two games a year, we are doing this. 

We have yet to hire a coach who is a cultural fit for Akron. 

On 10/25/2021 at 10:32 AM, Lee Adams said:

There have been only a few stretches when Akron has consistently been competitive even at the MAC level. Early 2000's and a few years with TB. But, certainly not much consistent winning since hitting full D1. Maybe you don't have to go to DII but, unless the AD can attract competent coaches consistently the program will not attract enough players who can play at the MAC level. At least when they consistently had a shot at going to the DII playoffs(college division then) they could generate some fan interest. Even in the early 2000's they were competitive in the MAC and there was more interest than now. Remember though Akron football has never and will never consistently attract a lot of fans. Its more about OSwho and the Browns.

Sad.

I brought up on another thread how much fun it was to watch the Akron Rubberducks win the Eastern League championship a few weeks ago. The crowd went crazy, was still there an hour after the game was over. We'll never forget it. There's something to be said about staying in your lane. I wouldn't look out my window if the Ducks were playing the NY Yankees across from my house. I'm starting to feel the same way about the Zips.

I'd love to see the Zips play top level ball. But with the budget crunches the past few years and the layoffs, the dropped athletic programs, I don't see the University pulling that off. 

Edited by Spin

10 hours ago, UAZippers said:

I'd rather the Conference leadership go exploring for Sasquatch. They would do less damage to the rest of the conference. 

Whenever you hear someone at the G5 level is exploring something, translate that into they have made a horrible decision and are sitting around trying to justify their bad decision until they can find a better job. 

48 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

University presidents have PhDs so we have to assume they are smart. Will one of them be smart enough to ask how the addition of these two schools helps the athletes, student body, alumni, fans and general communities around these schools?  The addition of the two schools actually is detrimental to the mission. 

Let me be the first to welcome MTSU and WKU to the MAC. The people who run the league are monumentally stupid and they will proceed. 

1 hour ago, GoZips86 said:

This WKU/MTSU joining of the MAC would be a good thing....yes/no?

Almost 100% no. The only thing that would make it interesting is if the shake up landed Toledo in the MAC East and we played them in football every season. That will probably not happen though.

• Like 1