Conference Realignment

zipsrule

16 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I remember at a Zips football golf outing about 13 years ago Mack Rhoades was standing next to JD Brookhart and told the gathering - "We aren't thinking about winning the MAC, we're thinking beyond the MAC!"

How'd that work out?

Come next October the Zips will very likely have beaten one FBS football program (BG, twice) in the last 4 calendar years. Our basketball team is probably #4 in the MAC, and soccer is now mediocre. Conference ascension probably shouldn't be on the AD's agenda at this time. 

The MAC is fine. We have plenty of bowl opportunities now. And the competition is good. 

I'll happily settle for 4-5 football wins next season and take it from there.

Can we please get the Las Vegas bowl sometime, somehow? Need a good excuse to tell my wife we're heading to Vegas for a few days LOL 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I remember at a Zips football golf outing about 13 years ago Mack Rhoades was standing next to JD Brookhart and told the gathering - "We aren't thinking about winning the MAC, we're thinking beyond the MAC!"

How'd that work out?

Come next October the Zips will very likely have beaten one FBS football program (BG, twice) in the last 4 calendar years. Our basketball team is probably #4 in the MAC, and soccer is now mediocre. Conference ascension probably shouldn't be on the AD's agenda at this time. 

The MAC is fine. We have plenty of bowl opportunities now. And the competition is good. 

I'll happily settle for 4-5 football wins next season and take it from there.

Substitute the word "I'm" for "we're" and you can see what he was really thinking.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GP1 said:

See how if thread go on the ideas get better? More exposure and money..... What could possibly go wrong? Zipmeister, you have everything it takes to be an Athletic Director some day. If you can just improve your thinking a little, you could become a G5 conference commissioner.  

Pul-leez GP1, don't encourage him! There is only so much of the Meister that a Zip can take. As an AD we could never except him. As a commissioner he could begin to plot world domination like Dr. Evil! I happen to know for certain that he has a hairless cat.

9 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

Pul-leez GP1, don't encourage him! There is only so much of the Meister that a Zip can take. As an AD we could never except him. As a commissioner he could begin to plot world domination like Dr. Evil! I happen to know for certain that he has a hairless cat.

When Kittie and I take over we need a couple of yes men to serve as #3 and #4 in our organization. 72roo and GP1 appear to be excellent candidates for these positions.

kittie.jpg

Edited by Zipmeister

9 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

When Kittie and I take over we need a couple of yes men to serve as #3 and #4 in our organization. 72roo and GP1 appear to be excellent candidates for these positions.

kittie.jpg

I get the eye patch!

On 2/17/2022 at 7:32 AM, GoZips86 said:

No offense, but....huh?

Back finally.  AIM LOW AND YOU WILL FOR SURE HIT YOUR TARGET. AIM HIGH AND RISK AND GREAT THINGS ARE POSSIBLE EVEN IF NOT THE ORIGAINAL TARGET. IF YOU CAN IMAGINE IT, IT IS POSSIBLE

15 minutes ago, 60zip said:

Back finally.  AIM LOW AND YOU WILL FOR SURE HIT YOUR TARGET. AIM HIGH AND RISK AND GREAT THINGS ARE POSSIBLE EVEN IF NOT THE ORIGAINAL TARGET. IF YOU CAN IMAGINE IT, IT IS POSSIBLE

ORIGAINALLY, I thought you were uder the influence of some mind-altering substance, but now I see the light. Let's aim for the ACC and if we miss we can settle for the Big Ten.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Link

Smart guys like Gene Smith don't just say things like this to the media on a whim. The idea has been pushed around behind the scenes for years and it's going to happen.

If you are thinking the G5 schools are in the FBS so these changes won't impact them, think again. The P5 schools aren't going to drag us along and drain their revenue stream. 

G5 schools need to prepare for the inevitable. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GP1 said:

Link

Smart guys like Gene Smith don't just say things like this to the media on a whim. The idea has been pushed around behind the scenes for years and it's going to happen.

If you are thinking the G5 schools are in the FBS so these changes won't impact them, think again. The P5 schools aren't going to drag us along and drain their revenue stream. 

G5 schools need to prepare for the inevitable. 

Sad, but true. I don’t have a link, but the same insiders who reported that Oklahoma and Texas were joining the SEC before the initial news came out also said there were conversations between the SEC with Michigan and Ohio State. Nothing has come of it as of yet, but the landscape is most certainly changing.

What sucks is that technically any D1 basketball team can make it to the Final Four and even win a championship. He mentions 10 conferences in FBS branching off. I can get on board with that. I just can't imagine only have teams in 5 conferences eligible to make the playoff. That means we'll never see a smaller school make a jump like TCU, Cincy, UCF or Houston, we'll never see upsets like Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl or schools like NIU getting their shot against the big guns. The Zips probably have a one in a million chance at ever winning a championship. But when those odds are officially 0, what is the point? Go undefeated and we get to play in the Boca Raton Bowl or Idaho Potato Bowl? No thanks.

In a perfect world the 10 FBS conferences break away from NCAA for football. Strengthen schedules by removing FCS opponents, expand the playoffs and give every conference an automatic bid. Maybe the G5 schools have a play-in tournament or something? I just don't want the Zips to be left behind. 

Edited by akzipper

10 minutes ago, akzipper said:

What sucks is that technically any D1 basketball team can make it to the Final Four and even win a championship. He mentions 10 conferences in FBS branching off. I can get on board with that. I just can't imagine only have teams in 5 conferences eligible to make the playoff. That means we'll never see a smaller school make a jump like TCU, Cincy, UCF or Houston, we'll never see upsets like Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl or schools like NIU getting their shot against the big guns. The Zips probably have a one in a million chance at ever winning a championship. But when those odds are officially 0, what is the point? Go undefeated and we get to play in the Boca Raton Bowl or Idaho Potato Bowl? No thanks.

In a perfect world the 10 FBS conferences break away from NCAA for football. Strengthen schedules by removing FCS opponents, expand the playoffs and give every conference an automatic bid. Maybe the G5 schools have a play-in tournament or something? I just don't want the Zips to be left behind. 

Unfortunately, basketball isn’t what’s leading the change, it’s football as that’s the highest revenue sport at most Power 5 schools. SEC is positioning themselves as the power players. If OSU and Michigan end up joining, they’d probably drop the SEC moniker and call it something else.

Money is driving all things and it seems like the SEC is just waiting for the NCAA to try and drop some type of hammer on one of their “prestigious” football programs before they buck up and make a power move. NCAA seems to have no idea how to control the NIL activity as it is.

29 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

Unfortunately, basketball isn’t what’s leading the change, it’s football as that’s the highest revenue sport at most Power 5 schools. SEC is positioning themselves as the power players. If OSU and Michigan end up joining, they’d probably drop the SEC moniker and call it something else.

Money is driving all things and it seems like the SEC is just waiting for the NCAA to try and drop some type of hammer on one of their “prestigious” football programs before they buck up and make a power move. NCAA seems to have no idea how to control the NIL activity as it is.

The NCAAs failure to regulate NIL is sad because the solution is obvious.

Limit NIL to $100,000 per player per year (or pick a different number if you like).

Then any additional payments to players would have to be made below the table, just like the good old (pre NIL) days. Such a change would be extremely welcome news to scores of unemployed former bag-men.

• Haha 1

I think the true driving force behind conference realignment has to do with the capability, politics and readiness of superior conferences. (and less about NIL as it's subjectively used at some schools more than others)

For example, affirmative action hire, Kevin Warren of the Big10 had zero problem delaying and almost cancelling the BIG10's football season while his son didn't miss a practice at an SEC school. 

No wonder OSU and Michigan want out of the BIG10. It's run by bad people with room temperature IQs. Actions have consequences and if one has a multi-million dollar university and a top tier sports program they may not want to be under incompetent leadership.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AkronAlumnus said:

I think the true driving force behind conference realignment has to do with the capability, politics and readiness of superior conferences. (and less about NIL as it's subjectively used at some schools more than others)

For example, affirmative action hire, Kevin Warren of the Big10 had zero problem delaying and almost cancelling the BIG10's football season while his son didn't miss a practice at an SEC school. 

No wonder OSU and Michigan want out of the BIG10. It's run by bad people with room temperature IQs. Actions have consequences and if one has a multi-million dollar university and a top tier sports program they may not want to be under incompetent leadership.

I’m unsure if OSU and Michigan want out. There were just preliminary talks according to the source. I’m posting a link below for the top 25 most valuable football programs. It’s pretty clear where the SEC is trying to go with this.

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2021/12/14/texas-tied-for-richest-college-football-program/

• Like 1

The P5 have no incentive to boot the G5 out. They pretty much already have the G5 by the balls so the G5 pretty much will accept whatever scraps the P5 throws them. 

FBS football is pretty much a system of the bigger fish eating the smaller one. OSU/UM feasting on Wisconsin/Iowa. Iowa/Wisconsin feasting on Purdue/Northwestern. Purdue/Northwestern feeding on Rutgers. Rutgers feeding on G5. With no G5 programs like Rutgers would win 0-3 games pretty much every year as they would now be the bottom of the food chain. That would deteriorate their fan base. It would have a similar, but not as drastic impact on Purdue/Northwestern tier as well. As Akron fans know cheering for 0-12 & 1-11 teams is no fun.

5 hours ago, akzipper said:

The Zips probably have a one in a million chance at ever winning a championship. But when those odds are officially 0, what is the point?

I'd like to answer this. Matthew point is making the football program benefit the athletes, students, alumni, fans and general ne Ohio community. That's good enough for me. 

Hot off the wire...

Pac-12 scraps divisions moments after NCAA paves way

The Pac-12 announced Wednesday it was scrapping its divisional format for the upcoming football season moments after the NCAA Division I Council tossed out requirements that dictate how conferences can determine a champion.

The Pac-12 will now pair the teams with the highest conference winning percentages in its title game after 11 seasons of matching winners of the North and South divisions.

Interesting article, hope this is the right place to post...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Spin said:

Hot off the wire...

Pac-12 scraps divisions moments after NCAA paves way

Interesting article, hope this is the right place to post...

It often feels like the Pac-12 stumbles their way around, but I like this move. The ACC is also changing their format. 

Seems like every conference would want their two best teams competing for the conference championship.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

USC and UCLA set to join Big Ten in a couple of years.

There will be spots open to move up in conferences, and I think we're setting ourselves up nicely to get an invite. 

Where to, the PAC 12? That wouldn't make sense.

Edited by blueandgold