Conference Realignment

zipsrule

22 hours ago, mes102 said:

Sports Illustrated on Twitter: "With the news of USC & UCLA leaving the Pac-12 for the Big Ten Conference, let's reimagine the NCAA landscape with the 'Forde Bowl Subdivision' from 2020 @ByPatForde explains: https://t.co/iZVgsPPBPy https://t.co/Tvo9kbbG8l" / Twitter

I wish I could get a job being as intellectually lazy as this guy. First things first, college football is not in crisis.  Why blow up something that is working?College football is more competitive than it has been in years due to offensive creativity and the free movement of labor through the transfer portal. Sure, there are 3-4 teams that dominate the top, but the rest of college football is doing great and if you can enjoy the hundreds of things that make college football great, it's easy to ignore what's going on at the very top. Today, the Zips are in a great position to be successful in the short term because of coaching creativity and the transfer portal. No more 5 year building process that ends in disaster. 

Look, I'm not sure why so many think the solution to all the problems in college football is an expanded playoff system. This stupid and lazy idea assumes everyone in college football either is capable or has the desire to win a national championship in football. There are less than 5 schools capable of winning a championship and an expanded playoff is only going to shovel more crap through your television in their pursuit of the championship for the small number of schools who could actually win. The current playoff games are trash and more trash isn't what we need. 

The only way for G5 schools to escape this level of stupidity is to divorce themselves from P5 conferences and create a system focused on making their athletic programs benefit the athletes, students, alumni, fans and general communities. The insanity has to stop. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I don't think individual school revenue is the driving force, but rather the media market as a whole. The Big Ten probably has a lot of alumni/fans who have migrated to the LA/West Coast area. Their media deals can now include those markets, therefore more $$$, hence why the Big Ten added Maryland and Rutgers. 

The west coast Big Ten alumni can watch all conference games on a variety of nationally televised sports channels including ABC/ESPN, Fox/Fox Sports and the Big Ten Network. 

I get where USC is coming from but confused about UCLA. I think PAC 10 football, as a whole, has become very average and continues to fall behind the leaders. Because of this, I think USC probably is impacted in their recruiting in a negative way. There is no reason for them to not be as good as the top 5 schools. This move will help their football program. It will be interesting to see how USC and UCLA handle late season road games in places like Wisconsin and Minnesota. UCLA has a problem because it hasn't been relevant in football for a long time and I think this move will only make things worse. UCLA does have a good chance of taking a good basketball program and becoming even better. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I don't think individual school revenue is the driving force, but rather the media market as a whole. The Big Ten probably has a lot of alumni/fans who have migrated to the LA/West Coast area. Their media deals can now include those markets, therefore more $$$, hence why the Big Ten added Maryland and Rutgers. 

Yes, the media contracts are a part of it and I believe the B1G is up for a new one soon, but it doesn’t have much to do with alumni on the West Coast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GP1 said:

The west coast Big Ten alumni can watch all conference games on a variety of nationally televised sports channels including ABC/ESPN, Fox/Fox Sports and the Big Ten Network. 

I get where USC is coming from but confused about UCLA. I think PAC 10 football, as a whole, has become very average and continues to fall behind the leaders. Because of this, I think USC probably is impacted in their recruiting in a negative way. There is no reason for them to not be as good as the top 5 schools. This move will help their football program. It will be interesting to see how USC and UCLA handle late season road games in places like Wisconsin and Minnesota. UCLA has a problem because it hasn't been relevant in football for a long time and I think this move will only make things worse. UCLA does have a good chance of taking a good basketball program and becoming even better. 

I suspect it was proposed as a package deal with USC and UCLA. Oklahoma State attempted to make it a package deal to move to the SEC with Oklahoma, but neither the SEC nor Oklahoma seemed to care too much about that idea. However, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Oklahoma State eventually make their way to the SEC by the time all the realignment is completed - whenever that may be.

11 hours ago, catdaddyp said:

Yes, the media contracts are a part of it and I believe the B1G is up for a new one soon, but it doesn’t have much to do with alumni on the West Coast.

Correct, I didn't word it well enough. 

Fact is, the Big Ten just captured the LA market, on top of what they already had with a huge alumni base. 

On 7/2/2022 at 7:54 AM, GP1 said:

UCLA makes the Big 10 stronger in basketball

I wonder what happens to the PAC 6 after all this. Do the remaining schools jump to Mountain West or do 6 or so schools jump from the MW?

Seems like the MAC and Mountain West Conference have remained relatively the same through all the conference shuffling the past decade. But if the important people at UA aren't doing everything they can to get us into the AAC, the Zips are going to be left behind. 

19 minutes ago, akzipper said:

I wonder what happens to the PAC 6 after all this. Do the remaining schools jump to Mountain West or do 6 or so schools jump from the MW?

Seems like the MAC and Mountain West Conference have remained relatively the same through all the conference shuffling the past decade. But if the important people at UA aren't doing everything they can to get us into the AAC, the Zips are going to be left behind. 

I can't tell if this is sarcasm directed at me... 😂

someone vision GIF

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, akzipper said:

Left behind what?

On 7/5/2022 at 3:49 PM, akzipper said:

A brand like the PAC won't just suddenly vanish from college sports (as a lot of people seem to anticipate happening).

Unless all of their members get suspended, like with the old Southwest Conference (not likely)

Edited by ZippyRulz

4 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

A brand like the PAC won't just suddenly vanish from college sports (as a lot of people seem to anticipate happening).

You must not be old enough to remember the Southwest Conference.

7 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

When you think you're joining one of the Super Conferences forming, but your name isn't USC, UCLA, or Notre Dame...

(Viewer's Discretion is Advised)

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Internet Rumor: UNC, UVA, Clemson, and FSU to the SEC.

I saw this and a firm rebuttal from Barrett Sallee on twitter. It looks like the big10 and the sec are the only conferences that matter anymore, might as well give the winner of the big10 the rose bowl (or even better make the big10 championship the rose bowl)

& SEC vs big10 play for the natty

Edited by AkronAlumnus

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

When Maryland bolted for the Big 10, the remaining members of the ACC signed a contract that protected the league against poachers and made any team leaving extremely expensive. It's unlikely, but not impossible. 

Three of these four teams are average acc football schools. Imagine how bad they would be in the sec. 

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

UNC is not leaving Duke behind, and vice versa. Clemson would be stupid to leave the ACC, and UVA is the prototypical ACC school. 

Notre Dame is going to join the Big Ten - that is their only option to maintain a semblance of their media rights revenue stream. There wouldn't be a single incentive for NBC to pay massive money for exclusive Notre Dame rights if Notre Dame can't schedule any Big Ten or SEC schools because Big Ten and SEC schools won't have an incentive to play any tough schools outside of their respective conference. 

The ACC is in an interesting spot. Their niche is being the Academic Power Conference, with private schools and academic standards galore. They also have a nice deal with Disney/ESPN that gives them a financial foundation, their basketball is top class, their football has a National Champion contender every couple of years, and they offer a higher-end level of off-brand sports like soccer and lacrosse. The PAC12 & Big12 don't have this niche. Combining into one conference and becoming the 4th Power Conference might be their only way to survive as a Power Conference. 

• Like 1