Conference Realignment

zipsrule

If you aren't listening to Rick Neuheisel on ESPNU the past few days, you are missing out. He looks at the recent developments from every angle including Fox owning 60% of BTN and the influence that has over the recent decisions. 

He also discusses how college football wants to become as close to the NFL model as possible including attracting degenerate gamblers and not caring if anyone actually attends games or not because it's all in TV money. He's really a smart guy. 

Edited by GP1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, GP1 said:

If you aren't listening to Rick Neuheisel on ESPNU the past few days, you are missing out. He looks at the recent developments from every angle including Fox owning 60% of BTN and the influence that has over the recent decisions. 

He also discusses how college football wants to become as close to the NFL model as possible including attracting degenerate gamblers and not caring if anyone actually attends games or not because it's all in TV money. He's really a smart guy. 

Good takes! I've been saying, for awhile now, that CFB and CBB are becoming the JV of the NFL/NBA. With NIL playing sports in college is now moreso a job about making $money$ and how much $$ can you make vs getting an education. Not saying in the past college athletes prioritized their education (Cardale Jones tweet about not going to OSU to "play school" comes to mind) but NIL, free agency, and conference realignment really exacerbate it and liken CFB to the NFL. The JV unit always played on Saturdays in HS and it looks that way for the foreseeable future in college too. 

Edited by AkronAlumnus

34 minutes ago, AkronAlumnus said:

but NIL, free agency, and conference realignment really exacerbate it and liken CFB to the NFL. 

I think it is becoming most like the NFL in that television ratings are driving decisions. The networks aren't asking, "How do we get the die hard fan to watch more NFL?".  They are asking, "How do we get the fans of football who see the NFL as their favorite television show to watch more games?".

We all know someone who is a die hard fan of NFL Team X and really doesn't watch NFL beyond that team.  The NFL is less concerned about this fan and more concerned about attracting a person who will watch any NFL game for 9 hours on Sunday. The Red Zone Network attracts this fan. All of the games attract degenerate gamblers.  A lot of these fans just like hanging out with friends in a bar on Sundays watching football and having some beers. OSU vs USC attracts more of this type of fan than OSU vs Indiana or OSU vs Toledo. The television networks know this and since they are running college football (If the networks aren't running college football, who is?), we get the results we are seeing today.

• Like 3

On 7/7/2022 at 9:54 PM, GP1 said:

Agree on the NFL comparisons and I don’t like where it is going... but at the very least if it has to go this way can they create a playoff that resembles the NFL... win your conference and in and seeded ahead of any wild cards... that would be something.. would be interesting to see something like a MAC champ hosting a power conference runner up in a December playoff game. 
Yes, I know it will never happen but that would align with the NFL model.

• Like 2

SEC is reportedly done adding teams. They will be at 16 when the dust settles and are supposedly content with that. 

Notre Dame is the biggest name left to move.

Phil Knight is reportedly making cold calls to everyone he can to find a new home for Oregon. 

PAC 12 is in a names war with the Big 12, using UCF, Cincy, etc. against them to diminish their Power 5 credibility. 

And we have Joe Mo. I love it. 

On 7/9/2022 at 12:08 PM, GJGood said:

Agree on the NFL comparisons and I don’t like where it is going... but at the very least if it has to go this way can they create a playoff that resembles the NFL... win your conference and in and seeded ahead of any wild cards... that would be something.. would be interesting to see something like a MAC champ hosting a power conference runner up in a December playoff game. 
Yes, I know it will never happen but that would align with the NFL model.

I've always felt like every conference deserves at least an automatic bid and then throw in a few Wild Cards. 14 teams would work out just fine. Top two seeds get a bye and while it would be a tough road for a MAC school to make a run at least they would have a chance. It would add some higher stakes to some of the bowl games too if some of the bigger ones got to host each playoff game.

Edited by akzipper

On 7/8/2022 at 9:48 AM, GP1 said:

I think it is becoming most like the NFL in that television ratings are driving decisions. The networks aren't asking, "How do we get the die hard fan to watch more NFL?".  They are asking, "How do we get the fans of football who see the NFL as their favorite television show to watch more games?".

We all know someone who is a die hard fan of NFL Team X and really doesn't watch NFL beyond that team.  The NFL is less concerned about this fan and more concerned about attracting a person who will watch any NFL game for 9 hours on Sunday. The Red Zone Network attracts this fan. All of the games attract degenerate gamblers.  A lot of these fans just like hanging out with friends in a bar on Sundays watching football and having some beers. OSU vs USC attracts more of this type of fan than OSU vs Indiana or OSU vs Toledo. The television networks know this and since they are running college football (If the networks aren't running college football, who is?), we get the results we are seeing today.

In addition, I worry that CFB will soon split into two major power conferences (Big in the North & Sec in the South) and everyone else gets left out. Unless there are two CFB championship games; one for the major conference and one for everyone else - those not in the SEC and BIG will be left out. Look for the Miami's, Baylor's, and Pittsburg's to make a jump up.

If any of you Zipsters are familiar with the structure of European soccer, where there are different tiers/levels of play that act somewhat autonomous of each other, I think CFB will end up similar to that. 

1 hour ago, akzipper said:

I've always felt like every conference deserves at least an automatic bid and then throw in a few Wild Cards. 14 teams would work out just fine.

The current playoff games are horrible entertainment. Why do you want more crap shoveled into your living room through your television. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AkronAlumnus said:

In addition, I worry that CFB will soon split into two major power conferences (Big in the North & Sec in the South) and everyone else gets left out. Unless there are two CFB championship games; one for the major conference and one for everyone else - those not in the SEC and BIG will be left out. Look for the Miami's, Baylor's, and Pittsburg's to make a jump up.

If any of you Zipsters are familiar with the structure of European soccer, where there are different tiers/levels of play that act somewhat autonomous of each other, I think CFB will end up similar to that. 

European (i.e. UEFA) football indeed.  Like include promotion/relegation in the CFB Super Liga. 😂

Unless there are two CFB championship games; one for the major conference and one for everyone else - those not in the SEC and BIG will be left out.

Left out of what?  Most schools are not capable of winning the national championship. I actually hope this happens. 

Just now, Z.I.P. said:

European (i.e. UEFA) football indeed.  Like include promotion/relegation in the CFB Super Liga. 😂

I love Rick Neuheisel, but he takes this relegation idea seriously and is wrong. It's actually a really stupid idea that assumes a senior starter on a horrible college football team cares about winning and not just getting out of the season and moving on. The dynamics are very different between professional soccer and college football. 

5 hours ago, GP1 said:

I love Rick Neuheisel, but he takes this relegation idea seriously and is wrong. It's actually a really stupid idea that assumes a senior starter on a horrible college football team cares about winning and not just getting out of the season and moving on. The dynamics are very different between professional soccer and college football. 

Yes but the dynamics are rapidly shifting & making income the focal point above all-else. Who is to say that programs who don't make the arbitrary jump to a more established conference will continue to function. Rhetorical question but why would a tv station make a deal with the MAC when they'll have massive super conference games likely being played simultaneously.... 

why would a tv station make a deal with the MAC when they'll have massive super conference games likely being played simultaneously.... 

Because there are more slots to fill than super conference teams. 

7 hours ago, GP1 said:

Because there are more slots to fill than super conference teams. 

This is the current status quo but if conferences expand to say two super-32 team conferences then there would be no television slots for schools who didn't make the cut of 64. This is all speculation and parlor games but once someone makes a big enough step it's hard not to go down tumbling down a slippery slope.

Euro soccer and the promotion/relegation system sounds interesting at first, but if you go back it seems like the same clubs flip flopping every season. So, your club moves up from Series B to Serie A. They have about as much a chance of progressing into the upper half of the top division as I have owning an NFL team. Teams move up, get curb stomped, hang around the bottom 4 or 5, and get relegated again. Manager fired, another rebuild starts. Wash, rinse, repeat. See also: Premier League.

Does anybody want to see NIU promoted to the B10, and Indiana drop to the MAC? Then switch back next year? Does B10 wants to see Rutgers get relegated, and they lose that major media market?

Edited by Spin

9 hours ago, AkronAlumnus said:

Yes but the dynamics are rapidly shifting & making income the focal point above all-else. Who is to say that programs who don't make the arbitrary jump to a more established conference will continue to function. Rhetorical question but why would a tv station make a deal with the MAC when they'll have massive super conference games likely being played simultaneously.... 

Same reason they do now. Content. Football. Advertisers. 

54 minutes ago, AkronAlumnus said:

This is the current status quo but if conferences expand to say two super-32 team conferences then there would be no television slots for schools who didn't make the cut of 64. This is all speculation and parlor games but once someone makes a big enough step it's hard not to go down tumbling down a slippery slope.

Each network has at least three east coast time slots for games on Saturday. That covers six teams. Networks are mostly:

ESPN

Espn2

ESPN News

ESPNU

ABC

CBS

CBS sports

Fox 

Fox Sports

NBC

BTN 

ACC Network

SEC Network 

ESPN +

Throw in some of these networks will play primetime west coast games, there are plenty of national television spots. 

41 minutes ago, Spin said:

Euro soccer and the promotion/relegation system sounds interesting at first, but if you go back it seems like the same clubs flip flopping every season. So, your club moves up from Series B to Serie A. They have about as much a chance of progressing into the upper half of the top division as I have owning an NFL team. Teams move up, get curb stomped, hang around the bottom 4 or 5, and get relegated again. Manager fired, another rebuild starts. Wash, rinse, repeat. See also: Premier League.

Does anybody want to see NIU promoted to the B10, and Indiana drop to the MAC? Then switch back next year? Does B10 wants to see Rutgers get relegated, and they lose that major media market?

The people who believe in this nonsense believe Americans will tune into a game between two horrible teams if there is something to play for. In reality, the ratings for last year's national championship game fell well below expectations and previous years. People simply aren't buying this gimmick and it's a game between two great teams. 

8 hours ago, GP1 said:

Each network has at least three east coast time slots for games on Saturday. That covers six teams. Networks are mostly:

ESPN

Espn2

ESPN News

ESPNU

ABC

CBS

CBS sports

Fox 

Fox Sports

NBC

BTN 

ACC Network

SEC Network 

ESPN +

Throw in some of these networks will play primetime west coast games, there are plenty of national television spots. 

8 of these are Disney, which covers ACC and SEC. Fox covers Big Ten, Big 12, and PAC 12 I believe. NBC has Notre Dame (for now). CBS has some SEC.

None of this includes streaming brands either. Apple, Netflix, Amazon, etc. The amount of money coming into sorts is unreal. 

On 7/12/2022 at 3:26 PM, akzipper said:

I've always felt like every conference deserves at least an automatic bid and then throw in a few Wild Cards. 14 teams would work out just fine. Top two seeds get a bye and while it would be a tough road for a MAC school to make a run at least they would have a chance. It would add some higher stakes to some of the bowl games too if some of the bigger ones got to host each playoff game.

Wow! My thoughts exactly.. right down to the number of teams.. I would like conference champs seeded better than wild cards (but we know that won’t happen).. in my format last year I still would have had MAC champ NIU playing at Louisiana in the 7/10 matchup but it wouldn’t be like that every year and I did have G5 member Cincinnati hosting Oklahoma State. That would have been great in my opinion.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, GJGood said:

Wow! My thoughts exactly.. right down to the number of teams.. I would like conference champs seeded better than wild cards (but we know that won’t happen).. in my format last year I still would have had MAC champ NIU playing at Louisiana in the 7/10 matchup but it wouldn’t be like that every year and I did have G5 member Cincinnati hosting Oklahoma State. That would have been great in my opinion.

Just about every season there's a school from a smaller conference that has a great record. Cincy, UCF, Coastal Carolina, NIU, Boise, etc. There's always a debate over if they should be allowed in the CFP. As I stands right now, with 4 teams, probably not. It's probably not fair to let them jump a BigTen runner-up or two loss SEC team. But I think they should at least get a chance to prove it. They beat a WC team and they absolutely deserve a shot at the big dogs. That's part of what makes the college basketball tournament so exciting. Small schools make a run every season and technically everyone has a shot, even if it's a very slim chance. People love an underdog story and I doubt many fans of the "big" schools would be against playing a MAC school if it meant they had an extra shot at the CFP.