Conference Realignment

zipsrule

9 hours ago, akzipper said:

People love an underdog story and I doubt many fans of the "big" schools would be against playing a MAC school if it meant they had an extra shot at the CFP. 

While it is true people love an underdog story, that's not the central question. The question the people running college football (television networks) are asking is, "Will more people tune in to watch NIU or Baylor get destroyed by Alabama?".  The answer is obvious. There is no room in the future for MAClike schools in the college football playoffs. The sooner we can carve out our own path, the better off we will be.

10 hours ago, akzipper said:

Just about every season there's a school from a smaller conference that has a great record. Cincy, UCF, Coastal Carolina, NIU, Boise, etc. There's always a debate over if they should be allowed in the CFP. As I stands right now, with 4 teams, probably not. It's probably not fair to let them jump a BigTen runner-up or two loss SEC team. But I think they should at least get a chance to prove it. They beat a WC team and they absolutely deserve a shot at the big dogs. That's part of what makes the college basketball tournament so exciting. Small schools make a run every season and technically everyone has a shot, even if it's a very slim chance. People love an underdog story and I doubt many fans of the "big" schools would be against playing a MAC school if it meant they had an extra shot at the CFP. 

Meh, I think Cincy deserved it last year and probably UCF a few years before that. When they don't win, everybody likes to say "I told you so", but I'd much rather watch that than watching ND or MSU lose by 5 scores. Even they Buckeyes have a nice 31-0 point drubbing from Clemson in CFP era.

• Like 3

On 7/14/2022 at 10:33 PM, akzipper said:

They beat a WC team and they absolutely deserve a shot at the big dogs. That's part of what makes the college basketball tournament so exciting. Small schools make a run every season and technically everyone has a shot, even if it's a very slim chance. People love an underdog story and I doubt many fans of the "big" schools would be against playing a MAC school if it meant they had an extra shot at the CFP. 

I thought that for a long time. But there are vastly different dynamics between college basketball and college football. In basketball you can catch lightening in a bottle, develop a couple players into stars, and make a run. See also Cleveland State. In football you need 20-30 talented gifted kids to smell a big bowl game, let alone make a playoff run.

Thats why the highly ranked football schools should break off into their own division. Or jettison the NCAA altogether and go rogue. The networks would be fighting each other for the new league, fat contracts in hand. 

My question is how long will the B10’s hold onto the Indianas and Minnesotas in their new world? Programs not in media markets and no real legacy of doing anything the past, oh, 50 years? How long before they get left behind? 

I’d prefer they put the top 32 programs into a super league for schools with a ghost of a chance of winning, the biggest budget big NIL programs, and let the semi-pros eat.

Then the rest can put together a real playoff, using the bowl games along the way, and let college football be college football.

Edited by Spin

18 hours ago, Spin said:

I thought that for a long time. But there are vastly different dynamics between college basketball and college football. In basketball you can catch lightening in a bottle, develop a couple players into stars, and make a run. See also Cleveland State. In football you need 20-30 talented gifted kids to smell a big bowl game, let alone make a playoff run.

Thats why the highly ranked football schools should break off into their own division. Or jettison the NCAA altogether and go rogue. The networks would be fighting each other for the new league, fat contracts in hand. 

My question is how long will the B10’s hold onto the Indianas and Minnesotas in their new world? Programs not in media markets and no real legacy of doing anything the past, oh, 50 years? How long before they get left behind? 

I’d prefer they put the top 32 programs into a super league for schools with a ghost of a chance of winning, the biggest budget big NIL programs, and let the semi-pros eat.

Then the rest can put together a real playoff, using the bowl games along the way, and let college football be college football.

Very true. It's much more difficult to build a cinderella football team than a basketball team. A school like Akron would need sustained success over multiple seasons to even get to the same talent level as even the mediocre BigTen schools. But at the same time how many teams from the MAC/AAC/MW beat the Mizzou, Syracuse, Kentucky, Northwestern, Purdue, Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland, Minnesotas of the world? Seems like it happens every season. Those schools have one decent season every 10 years and still manage to stay in the SEC or BigTen. Part of me feels like the big guys like Alabama, Georgia and OSU like to have those easy games sprinkled throughout their season. Would they want a super league where every games is basically against a Top 25 team?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, akzipper said:

Very true. It's much more difficult to build a cinderella football team than a basketball team. A school like Akron would need sustained success over multiple seasons to even get to the same talent level as even the mediocre BigTen schools. But at the same time how many teams from the MAC/AAC/MW beat the Mizzou, Syracuse, Kentucky, Northwestern, Purdue, Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland, Minnesotas of the world? Seems like it happens every season. Those schools have one decent season every 10 years and still manage to stay in the SEC or BigTen. Part of me feels like the big guys like Alabama, Georgia and OSU like to have those easy games sprinkled throughout their season. Would they want a super league where every games is basically against a Top 25 team?

The answer to your question is yes, the big boys would want a super league playing games against the top 25 week in and week out if the money is there. Money trumps everything in the world of top 25 schools. That has been a reality for the last couple of decades, but the speed at which it has accelerated lately is astonishing. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2022 at 8:16 AM, Hilltopper said:

That my friends, sums up the future of "college" football. The minor leagues for the NFL.

It is not a minor league. It's a television show produced by the organizations running college football now, the TV networks. 

It is similar to baseball's minor leagues in that very few will ever make much money or have a realistic shot at the highest level. It's better in that a player may be able to make a little money while getting a free education. 

I'd tell the networks this. If you want me to watch more college football on television, do me a couple of favors. First, fit the games in the 3 hour time slots. Reduce the amount of time referees talk on heads replaying plays. Second, please, please, please get the clock moving. Many prime time games are lasting over 4 hours. It's insanity. I left the ACC Championship last year at the strike of 10 PM when the last second ran off the second quarter in a game that started at 8 PM. 

• 2 weeks later...

Big Ten is getting a new media deal worth over $1B.

Everyone is in except ESPN, which means NBC is also in. I bet this means Notre Dame is joining the Big Ten. 

MAC/CUSA/Sun Belt will probably combine at some point.

AAC and Mountain West become the bridge to the Super 4 Conferences.

Big 12/PAC 12 combine to survive. Add ACC, Big Ten, and SEC for the Super 4. 

TV deals are starting to show the map of what's going to happen. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

4 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

MAC/USA/Sun Belt will probably combine at some point.

AAC and Mountain West become the bridge to the Super 4 Conferences.

The Mac/cusa etc will combine. It will be in their own division. 

The AAC and MW, once the good teams are skimmed off, will be a shell of their current self. They will play with cusa etc. There will be no bridge. Once the dust settles, the P4 schools will burn down the bridges behind them. 

Embrace what is happening. It is a good thing. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, zippy5 said:

ND can't join the big ten for like 10 more years

When there is more money to be made in the Big 10, ND will join and the Big 10 will be glad to have them. It's getting close to that point now. The ND alumni association can make up the difference short term but it can't last forever. 

1 hour ago, GP1 said:

When there is more money to be made in the Big 10, ND will join and the Big 10 will be glad to have them. It's getting close to that point now. The ND alumni association can make up the difference short term but it can't last forever. 

They have a signed agreement with the ACC that if they join a conference by 2036 it must be the ACC 

1 minute ago, AkronAlumnus said:

I see two super conferences, not four. One with an ESPN/ABC deal & the other with fox.

ACC has ESPN/ABC. 

Unless you're saying the the conferences are dictated by their TV deal companies, not the traditional conference names themselves. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

3 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

ACC has ESPN/ABC. 

Unless you're saying the the conferences are dictated by their TV deal companies, not the traditional conference names themselves. 

Yeah that's how I'm looking at it plus the ACC is a Clemson loss away from vying for the worst "power five" conference w/ the PAC