Conference Realignment

zipsrule

2 hours ago, GP1 said:

I agree, but expanding the league isn't being proactive. It would make more sense to eliminate a team or two which would make the league more competitive. 

The Big Ten didn't add Rutgers & Maryland for their competitive athletic programs. They added them for their markets. The MAC needs to expand to capture more markets. More markets = more money = more exposure = more excitement = better atmosphere = increased level of competition. 

7 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

The Big Ten didn't add Rutgers & Maryland for their competitive athletic programs. They added them for their markets. The MAC needs to expand to capture more markets. More markets = more money = more exposure = more excitement = better atmosphere = increased level of competition. 

The MAC isn't the Big Ten. It will never have the ability make money grabs like P5 conferences. What has gotten G5 schools into the problems they have now is pretending they are P5 schools. Worse, the G5 athletic directors who will do anything detrimental to their schools in order to get a P5 job. It needs to stop.

Any G5 AD who jumps conferences right now is harming their school in favor of their career and the president of whatever school they work for should fire them on the spot if they bring up the idea. 

You brought a different twist on the "exposure" argument. You assume more markets will be become more money and the money leads to more exposure. Normally the logic thread starts with exposure. In reality, the exposure has resulted in more money for ESPN and not enough for us to cover our overhead making G5 schools public works programs.  The ESPN exposure has resulted in all the excitement empty stadiums bring to a nationally televised audience while at the same time making degenerate gamblers happy on Tuesday nights. Better competition?  The MAC is the worst it has been in my lifetime. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/20/2021 at 10:37 AM, Section210Zip said:

JMU has the facilities to come to the MAC. They have a beautiful stadium. It's layout is a little different with how they expanded over the end zone. The campus sits right off the highway and other than the tolls in PA, its a nice drive. 

I'm not too familiar with Illinois State's facilities but they would have to invest in their stadium to at least meet FBS attendance requirements. At least how it is written now. 

In looking at Illinois State i was reminded of this and had to throw up so thank you for that. 

image.png

I remember that 1991 ISU game. It's when I pretty much soured on Gerry.

On 10/19/2021 at 9:17 PM, zipsrule said:

Six members of Conference USA have submitted applications to join the AAC.  If they get approved, what happens to the remaining members of Conference USA?  Does the MAC have any interest in adding two of them - say Marshall, Middle Tennessee State or Western Kentucky?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32432496/six-schools-officially-apply-join-american-athletic-conference

Those six schools have accepted their invitations.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32445087/florida-atlantic-charlotte-north-texas-utsa-rice-uab-set-join-american-athletic-conference

58 minutes ago, zipsrule said:

I have no interest in what those schools do. Never been to a UNCC game and it's 25 miles from my house. Saw Wake Forest play Rice once and almost passed out from the boredom......or was it the 12 beers?....I can't remember. 

Anyhow, good luck to them. We are fine where we are at. 

17 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Unless ESPN is willing to give the MAC a pay bump to expand or the CFP payout gets amended, I don't see how it's beneficial for the MAC to expand.

Doing the bidding of ESPN is what has gotten G5 schools into the mess they are in. 

One school making the playoffs per hand winning one game every 10 years is not a good reason to expand. There is no good reason for the MAC to expand. 

20 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Specifically, they wanted the B10 Network in major media centers so they could drive up advertising rates.

If the MAC had a cable network, I imagine it would go something like this...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Spin said:

Specifically, they wanted the B10 Network in major media centers so they could drive up advertising rates.

If the MAC had a cable network, I imagine it would go something like this...

Hall of Fame post. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LZIp said:

One would think ESPN pays all of these conferences because they make some money on it. I wonder why Fox doesn't get in the game? We are in the B1G's footprint.

Fox is in the game but on a smaller scale. They show Big Ten at noon every Saturday. 

It just seems like they aren't doing anything because they only have FS1 and not a bunch of networks like ABC/ESPN. 

14 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

image.png

Remove Canada, WKU, NIU and MTSU.  Every team plays each other with three ooc games. At the end of the season the two best records, with some tie breakers figured in, play each other for the championship. 

BG, Toledo and EMU are all easy drives from NE Ohio. It's part of making MAC schools benefit the players, students, alumni, fans and general communities where they are. 

The MAC needs to be smaller, not bigger.

G5 conferences need to pull their heads out of their rear ends and figure out the future.

I have zero interest in MTSU and WKU. Throw in Canada and NIU.  

• Like 1

For whatever reason, some here think Marshall is a good idea. As far as Marshall, they  look like a pack of idiots for jumping conference every few years. Ever notice no conference really searches them out?  They are always reacting at this point. It amazes me anyone would want them back in the MAC knowing they will always have one foot out the door. It amazes me any conference would want to partner with such a group of opportunists.  Screw them. 

On 10/21/2021 at 4:30 AM, GP1 said:

The MAC isn't the Big Ten. It will never have the ability make money grabs like P5 conferences. What has gotten G5 schools into the problems they have now is pretending they are P5 schools. Worse, the G5 athletic directors who will do anything detrimental to their schools in order to get a P5 job. It needs to stop.

Any G5 AD who jumps conferences right now is harming their school in favor of their career and the president of whatever school they work for should fire them on the spot if they bring up the idea. 

You brought a different twist on the "exposure" argument. You assume more markets will be become more money and the money leads to more exposure. Normally the logic thread starts with exposure. In reality, the exposure has resulted in more money for ESPN and not enough for us to cover our overhead making G5 schools public works programs.  The ESPN exposure has resulted in all the excitement empty stadiums bring to a nationally televised audience while at the same time making degenerate gamblers happy on Tuesday nights. Better competition?  The MAC is the worst it has been in my lifetime. 

Couldn't agree more. The train that held/holds that G5(hate that label) schools could consistently compete against P5(hate that too) schools left the station long ago. Occasionally one or two pop up temporarily but don't last. The big schools are going to find the money in any way they can. No surprise. Think about how some of those schools have abandoned long standing relationships with certain conferences. 

The P5 schools need to go and play themselves or is with themselves?  The so called G5 schools need to separate and go the way of FCS schools. Play each other. Establish a playoff system. Become more competitive against teams at your own level. Have a shot at playoff spots. Competitive games generate interest. Playoffs generate interest.

Do it.

Edited by Lee Adams
Misspell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

Goodbye, P5 & TV revenue. Hello Div. II.

Maybe. Maybe not. What we know for sure is the TV revenue and paydays do not cover the bills.

There could still be a smaller amount of P5 money and some TV revenue. 

Much can be done without become D2 with some imagination. 

9 hours ago, GP1 said:

Remove Canada, WKU, NIU and MTSU.  Every team plays each other with three ooc games. At the end of the season the two best records, with some tie breakers figured in, play each other for the championship. 

BG, Toledo and EMU are all easy drives from NE Ohio. It's part of making MAC schools benefit the players, students, alumni, fans and general communities where they are. 

The MAC needs to be smaller, not bigger.

G5 conferences need to pull their heads out of their rear ends and figure out the future.

I have zero interest in MTSU and WKU. Throw in Canada and NIU.  

Absolute spot on.  Those four teams are irrelevant to me.

On 10/23/2021 at 5:23 PM, GP1 said:

Maybe. Maybe not. What we know for sure is the TV revenue and paydays do not cover the bills.

There could still be a smaller amount of P5 money and some TV revenue. 

Much can be done without become D2 with some imagination. 

There have been only a few stretches when Akron has consistently been competitive even at the MAC level. Early 2000's and a few years with TB. But, certainly not much consistent winning since hitting full D1. Maybe you don't have to go to DII but, unless the AD can attract competent coaches consistently the program will not attract enough players who can play at the MAC level. At least when they consistently had a shot at going to the DII playoffs(college division then) they could generate some fan interest. Even in the early 2000's they were competitive in the MAC and there was more interest than now. Remember though Akron football has never and will never consistently attract a lot of fans. Its more about OSwho and the Browns.

Sad.