Class of '23 Offers & Verbal Commits

6 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

The staff is going up against some pretty high-powered programs.

I place the over/under at 2 for how many high schoolers with Big 10 or SEC offers that the Zips sign.

Anyone want to take the over?

I'll take the over at a 2.5 line. So 2 or less you win, 3 or more I win.

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

10 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

The staff is going up against some pretty high-powered programs.

I place the over/under at 2 for how many high schoolers with Big 10 or SEC offers that the Zips sign.

Anyone want to take the over?

I will absolutely take the over. 

1.  Look at my post from a few days ago.  As long as we sign a couple of top players each year, the program will improve.  

2.  Go to GoZips and look at the high school signees this year.  The coaching staff was successful in being over with just the late signing period.  If you count all P5 schools, Coach Joe was way over 2 even though 90% of the high school players sign early.  I cannot wait to see what this staff does with an entire recruiting cycle.

In Joe We Trust!!!!

• Like 1

FWIW - This staff perhaps reaching out making offers to some higher tier P5 prospects is nothing new. You can easily look at prior year offers we've made and the programs they've committed with. 

For O/U of 2.5 of players with reported SEC/B1G offers, I'd probably take the over as well. I believe we got 3 in short order this year - Landers, Keylen Davis, and Jennings. Whether they were being actively recruited by them is another story, but the programs apparently felt good enough to make an offer at some point which means something.

11 minutes ago, LZIp said:

FWIW - This staff perhaps reaching out making offers to some higher tier P5 prospects is nothing new. You can easily look at prior year offers we've made and the programs they've committed with. 

For O/U of 2.5 of players with reported SEC/B1G offers, I'd probably take the over as well. I believe we got 3 in short order this year - Landers, Keylen Davis, and Jennings. Whether they were being actively recruited by them is another story, but the programs apparently felt good enough to make an offer at some point which means something.

Ah, there's the rub.

3 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

Think how you would feel if we actually signed this guy!

Do not look at all the offers the Zips have made on 247; your heart may not be able to take it.

I have looked at the offers and many of them are impressive.  Finally, Akron is pursuing top players with a fine coaching staff who know how to recruit.  I have been ripped on this forum for stating the same approach of pursuing top players.  As I stated earlier, as long as you can sign 2-3 top players per year and a lot of 3 star players, the team will  be winning big time very soon.  

In Joe We Trust!!!!

On 10/22/2021 at 8:17 AM, Blue & Gold said:

2023 VERBAL COMMITMENTS

Steele Wassel , QB, 6-4, 210, Choctaw HS, Choctaw, OK

This kid is impressive. With QBs, it’s always hard to know how successful they’ll be at the next level as so much of it is mental. Assuming Wassel picks things up quickly, he’ll be an excellent addition. He has plenty of arm strength, always keeps his eyes down field, and can efficiently scramble when he needs to.

Its pretty clear this staff is targeting mobile quarterbacks. My concern is the ability to hang on to him as more offers are likely to come if he has a big senior season.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/11660442/61b13a44d21bb50410a1a351

• Like 1

Catdaddyp: "Its pretty clear this staff is targeting mobile quarterbacks. My concern is the ability to hang on to him as more offers are likely to come if he has a big senior season."

First, welcome to this site. It's good to have you. No matter the sport there is a lot of passion for the Zips here.

Your quote above tells me you are well on your way to becoming a typical Zip fan in that despite our success we start worrying about what can go wrong. We are working on expecting success no matter what as soccer, track, swimming & diving and basketball programs  have shown. Give us time with football as we have been thru great trauma. But we will get there. The journey is shaping up to be fun.

In Joe We Trust.