Class of '23 Offers & Verbal Commits

9 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Committed to Akron on the same day PCCC offered him. Love it. 

Would not mind a Massillon pipeline...

Excuse my ignorance as I just started following Akron football closely last season, but who is PCCC?

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, GoZips86 said:

I like to Google QB commit Steele Wasel here and there just to make sure he is still committed lol. I am afraid of someone luring him away! 

I saw Marcus Moore picked up offers to at least Liberty and Marshall in recent days. Hope we can keep him as well. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, GoZips86 said:

I like to Google QB commit Steele Wasel here and there just to make sure he is still committed lol. I am afraid of someone luring him away! 

We’ve definitely picked up some good ones early. No doubt they’ll continue to receive attention and land more offers throughout the year. Our commits could always shut it down and tell everyone else they aren’t interested, but why would they do that? Especially in today’s world of NIL.

Commit early and reserve your spot. Then you have options available as they come along. We may not like it, but can’t fault the players for doing what’s in their best interest.

So far, it doesn’t seem as if we’ve lost anyone.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

We’ve definitely picked up some good ones early. No doubt they’ll continue to receive attention and land more offers throughout the year. Our commits could always shut it down and tell everyone else they aren’t interested, but why would they do that? Especially in today’s world of NIL.

Commit early and reserve your spot. Then you have options available as they come along. We may not like it, but can’t fault the players for doing what’s in their best interest.

So far, it doesn’t seem as if we’ve lost anyone.

Very true. I also read an article that Wasel has formed a great relationship with Moorhead over the past year or two, so hopefully that continues and keeps him wanting to be a Zip. I think he could be a great QB for the Zips and help us as we continue to move forward in what seems like a very promising era. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

St. Ed’s Michael Kilbane committed to Northwestern.

That’s too bad, but he was a long shot with the amount of offers he had rolling in.

However, I like that JoeMo is swinging for the fences and was able to get a guy like Kilbane on campus.

Edited by catdaddyp
  • Like 2

NCAA just announced they are suspending the FBS maximum signing limit of 25 players for the next 2 years. I suspect by the end of that time they’ll do away with it completely. This is great news for us as it’ll allow JoeMo to rapidly reshape the roster the way he wants it.

This year the max was 32, but it was to revert back to 25 next year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, catdaddyp said:

NCAA just announced they are suspending the FBS maximum signing limit of 25 players for the next 2 years. I suspect by the end of that time they’ll do away with it completely. This is great news for us as it’ll allow JoeMo to rapidly reshape the roster the way he wants it.

This year the max was 32, but it was to revert back to 25 next year.

This change may not increase JoeMo's ability to reshape the team with scholarship players as much as you think.

My understanding is that the 85 total scholarship limit will still be in place which which could mean that some existing scholarship players will have to get theirs yanked in order bring in other scholarship players.

3 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

This change may not increase JoeMo's ability to reshape the team with scholarship players as much as you think.

My understanding is that the 85 total scholarship limit will still be in place which which could mean that some existing scholarship players will have to get theirs yanked in order bring in other scholarship players.

Yes, the 85 scholarship limit is still in place. I think this rule will help separate the schools with strong recruiters vs the weak. JoeMo will have a clear idea of what he has on the roster after year one and I don’t think he’s going to be patient with many players who don’t produce at his level of expectation. The transfer portal is alive and well and I’m certain JoeMo will take advantage of it.

Edited by catdaddyp

43 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I like the potential Bowen possesses. He has a nice frame, moves well, and has some decent straight line speed. He strikes me as a guy who hasn’t fully grown into his body and will continue to develop. If that’s the case, he could turn out to be a steal.

I’m guessing he’ll be slotted as an edge guy and either fill the OLB or DE role.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Looks like former Notre Dame standout Jaylon Smith. Same frame - 6'2" 210+ lbs (Smith has obviously added size in the NFL). 

Is this a Reno Ferri connection with Cuse? He received an offer from the Orange and I'd imagine it was when Reno was there. 

3 hours ago, catdaddyp said:

I like the potential Bowen possesses. He has a nice frame, moves well, and has some decent straight line speed. He strikes me as a guy who hasn’t fully grown into his body and will continue to develop. If that’s the case, he could turn out to be a steal.

I’m guessing he’ll be slotted as an edge guy and either fill the OLB or DE role.

These are the body types Akron has missed out on for years. Hopefully JoMo can keep this pattern of bigger kids that can add weight/strength and not loose speed in the process. 

For years the LB position has been way too small and not nearly fast enough. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, gozips19 said:

These are the body types Akron has missed out on for years. Hopefully JoMo can keep this pattern of bigger kids that can add weight/strength and not loose speed in the process. 

For years the LB position has been way too small and not nearly fast enough. 

If you think our linebackers have been small you should take a look at the cornerbacks on some of our past rosters.

Many of them could have continued their athletic careers as jockeys.To quickly gain CBs of normal stature,  I occasionally suggested that we sew them together in pairs (the human caterpillar approach), but they never took my suggestion.

• Haha 1