Class of '23 Offers & Verbal Commits

56 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Hmm, maybe this is the disconnect. I'd surely hope no one is recruiting off of stars. But as a fan evaluating a recruiting class, they're helpful. Over time and a large sample size, the higher rated your guys are, the more likely they are to succeed. Of course there are always outliers and exceptions.

I think the football staff is doing a tremendous job recruiting and landing some players that could play at the Power 5 level, but will be difference makers here. Not necessarily starters at the Power 5 level, but could make the depth chart and contribute. In essence I think we have a staff that is recruiting like a Power 5 staff at Akron. The biggest difference I see in recruiting as a whole is along the offensive and defensive lines (and to some extent linebacker and safety). It may take a year or two for the freshmen to develop on the OL and DL, but the talent has most certainly increased. The physicality our incoming recruits play with is eye opening and something we see on a weekly basis at Power 5 levels.

Im doing my best to get the national guys at Rivals to rate our recruits, but they are busy and there is still the mindset that Akron isn’t a good program. I suspect I’ll have their ear a little more after this season and we’ll likely see a few more 3 star recruits in next year’s class, even if they aren’t any better than some of the recruits in this year’s class.

It’s an exciting time for Akron football and I’m looking forward to experiencing it with everyone here.

Edited by catdaddyp
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

All of our 2023 commits now have ratings except Lester Miller and Max Tucker, but I’m working on that.

FYI, while rivals now shows us as having the 80th best class, there isn't a link to click on our name to see the list of commits and their rating.

https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2023/all-teams/football

18 minutes ago, LZIp said:

FYI, while rivals now shows us as having the 80th best class, there isn't a link to click on our name to see the list of commits and their rating.

https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2023/all-teams/football

Disappointing about the link. I’ll see what can be done about it, but that probably won’t change any time soon. They would need an editor to keep the site up and running. For now, I’m making sure all of the recruits have updated profiles and receive a rating. 

Edited by catdaddyp
  • Like 3

Offers are still rolling in for Tucker. He received another one from Dartmouth. 

Rivals is showing us as having 15 verbal commits, but someone at Rivals mistakenly created another profile for Tucker. It is actually 14 commits as @Blue & Goldhas listed at the top of this thread.

Ive been told Tucker and Miller will have ratings soon.

On a different note, there is a chance that Devonte Golden-Nelson is not enrolled despite what the official roster says. I stumbled upon some information that had him enrolled at Iowa Western Community College. We’ll have to see how that pans out.

Edited by catdaddyp

28 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

Rivals is showing us as having 15 verbal commits, but someone at Rivals mistakenly created another profile for Tucker. It is actually 14 commits as @Blue & Goldhas listed at the top of this thread.

On a different note, there is a chance that Devonte Golden-Nelson is not enrolled despite what the official roster says. I stumbled upon some information that had him enrolled at Iowa Western Community College. We’ll have to see how that pans out.

Here's hoping the information you stumbled upon is actually misinformation.

I can't even find a football roster for IWCC.

13 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

I hope it’s wrong too. I couldn’t verify anything, but this profile was created 2 days ago. 

If we are to believe Rivals (and I'm not saying I do), if the young man was unable to handle the academic rigor at Memphis (a pillar of higher education), this is not a good indicator he would enjoy academic success at Akron.

Another one to check out now is On3.com. It is another rating service like 247 and Rivals. They do their own ratings but also come up with a combined rating of all three services. They are gaining a lot of traction in the recruiting world. I haven't looked up how our class of 23' compares on this vs Rivals and 247 but might be a good project for anyone willing to take it on  - or maybe I will this weekend.   

Interesting, they have QB Steele Wasel as most likely going to Tulsa

https://www.on3.com/db/steele-wasel-108253/

Edited by MangoZip

On 8/5/2022 at 2:35 PM, MangoZip said:

Another one to check out now is On3.com. It is another rating service like 247 and Rivals. They do their own ratings but also come up with a combined rating of all three services. They are gaining a lot of traction in the recruiting world. I haven't looked up how our class of 23' compares on this vs Rivals and 247 but might be a good project for anyone willing to take it on  - or maybe I will this weekend.   

Interesting, they have QB Steele Wasel as most likely going to Tulsa

https://www.on3.com/db/steele-wasel-108253/

On3 was created by the same guy who started Rivals. Rivals will have the most up to date information on Akron recruits.

On3 is incorrect about Wasel. He’s firmly committed to Joe Moorhead and Akron.

Edited by catdaddyp

On 8/5/2022 at 8:56 AM, catdaddyp said:

Not sure why else Golden-Nelson would be retweeting this if he weren't at IWCC..bummer.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Not sure why else Golden-Nelson would be retweeting this if he weren't at IWCC..bummer.

Agreed. I think the Rivals guy has a connection to some of the Midwest JUCOs and was right in this scenario. I was really looking forward to watching Golden-Nelson play. Maybe next year.

• 2 weeks later...

I updated the rest of the MAC teams in hopes of getting a few more eyes on the conference. Out of all the teams, only 15 committed players still need a rating. Not perfect, but better than any other recruiting site. My goal is to have every MAC player rated in 2023. Currently the team rankings look like this:

#60 - Central Michigan 

#62 - Miami

#69 - Western Michigan 

#77 - Akron

#81 - Northern Illinois

#84 - Ball State

#90 - Kent State

#93 -Toledo

#97 - Eastern Michigan 

NR - Ohio

NR - Bowling Green

NR - Buffalo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

25 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

I updated the rest of the MAC teams in hopes of getting a few more eyes on the conference. Out of all the teams, only 15 committed players still need a rating. Not perfect, but better than any other recruiting site. My goal is to have every MAC player rated in 2023. Currently the team rankings look like this:

#60 - Central Michigan 

#62 - Miami

#69 - Western Michigan 

#77 - Akron

#81 - Northern Illinois

#84 - Ball State

#90 - Kent State

#93 -Toledo

#97 - Eastern Michigan 

NR - Ohio

NR - Bowling Green

NR - Buffalo

Is this overall recruiting class, HS commits only, or transfers only?

3 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Is this overall recruiting class, HS commits only, or transfers only?

HS commitments only. Rivals will be rolling out a new transfer ranking later this year, but are still working out kinks in the system.

Edited by catdaddyp

On 8/19/2022 at 9:14 PM, catdaddyp said:

#60 - Central Michigan 

#62 - Miami

#69 - Western Michigan 

#77 - Akron

#81 - Northern Illinois

#84 - Ball State

#90 - Kent State

#93 -Toledo

#97 - Eastern Michigan 

NR - Ohio

NR - Bowling Green

NR - Buffalo

Update: Only 8 players still need a rating. Not much movement in the rankings except Toledo jumping into a tie with Ball State at #85.

#61 - Central Michigan 

#62 - Miami

#70 - Western Michigan 

#77 - Akron

#79 - Northern Illinois

#85 - Ball State

#85 - Toledo

#92 - Kent State

#95 - Eastern Michigan

NR - Ohio, Bowling Green, Buffalo

Edited by catdaddyp
  • Like 1

Here are where things stand as far as Rivals is concerned. None of the committed players will receive a ratings bump unless they decommit and commit to a P5 school. That goes for all G5 players. So at this point, for more 3 stars to be in the 2023 class they need to be rated as such before committing. I think the process needs some adjustment, but I’m not in a position to change it. There are some players in this class who should probably be 3 stars such as Lester Miller, Adrian Norton, and Max Tucker to name a few.

In any case, I think this is a strong prep class and will continue to get better despite the player ratings. Not all of these players will contribute immediately, but the talent is certainly there to be successful at some point in their careers. 

Edited by catdaddyp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3