Class of '23 Offers & Verbal Commits

The Man of Steele Leads Yellowjackets

Recent interview with Steele Wasel. The interviewer isn't the best, but within the 14:00 mark he gets into Akron commitment. Sounds like his connection with Moorhead and QC coach is a big part of him wanting to play for Zips. Makes me feel good that no matter how successful he will be this year in his senior season, his connection to coaches will keep him committed to the Zips. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Zips commit Kameron Cheatom broke his ankle & is out for the rest of his senior season.

That’s disappointing. I wonder if he has the grades and/or desire to graduate and enroll early. If so, that could be a nice spring board from this setback.

Edited by catdaddyp
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I notice that someone just posted a reaction to the initial post in this thread. So don't forget, or, for anyone new to this thread please know, that I'm continually editing Post #1 to keep it as up to date as possible (sans any insider information) in regards to our Class of 2023 Verbal Commitments.  

• Thanks 1

On 10/4/2022 at 3:44 PM, catdaddyp said:

DT Marcus Moore mid-season highlights.

LB Joshua Bowen mid-season highlights.

WR Lester Miller mid-season highlights.

WR Adrian Norton mid-season highlights.

S Darius Owens mid-season highlights.

This is great, @catdaddyp. Thank you.  As this thread continues to grow this post will get lost, so, for easy reference, when I get some free time tomorrow I'll incorporate your information into Post #1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/4/2022 at 3:44 PM, catdaddyp said:

DT Marcus Moore mid-season highlights.

LB Joshua Bowen mid-season highlights.

WR Lester Miller mid-season highlights.

WR Adrian Norton mid-season highlights.

S Darius Owens mid-season highlights.

thanks for sharing. I came away more impressed with Lester Miller and Darius Owens than I think I originally was, though all look like players. Who stuck out to you the most?

48 minutes ago, LZIp said:

thanks for sharing. I came away more impressed with Lester Miller and Darius Owens than I think I originally was, though all look like players. Who stuck out to you the most?

100% agree. Those two look to have progressed the most. Credit the staff for recognizing their potential and getting in early. Owens looks perfect for boundary safety (where Thompson is currently playing). Miller will probably stick at WR, but he could be productive on both sides of the ball as he’s just a playmaker.

Ill be interested to see if Bowen is bulked up and slotted at DE or if he stays at LB.

Moore reminds me of Thomas in the way they are built and move. Although Thomas is obviously more advanced and fires off as quick, if not quicker, than any other DL we currently have.

Im not crazy about Norton playing QB, but I understand the thought process about having the ball in your best player’s hands every snap. And whoever #6 is he’s pretty good too.

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, LZIp said:

You know more about football than I. Doesn't it appear he has a lot of improvement to make on footwork? Looks like he's standing flat footed and relying on his upper body on many of those throws.

Yeah, he looks a little lackadaisical in some of those highlights. I’d be worried if he had heavy feet that could hinder his development, but fortunately that’s not the case. I’m sure all of that will get cleaned up in fairly short order once he arrives on campus.

Edited by catdaddyp

21 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

Great News! 

Edit: I thought it originally said early.

Massive news. He looks to be running a pretty similar offense as we’ve got here. Must be why they went after him so far. On a lot of the plays, it appears the competition is such that he doesn’t need to try so he doesn’t move his feet and just flicks it out there. Not a fan of those. But on plays where he’s tasked with making reads and moving around, he looks very promising. And I didn’t expect to see accelerating like that, he can turn on the jets quick. 

With him coming in early, we could be looking at Irons vs. Steele for 2023. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Massive news. He looks to be running a pretty similar offense as we’ve got here. Must be why they went after him so far. On a lot of the plays, it appears the competition is such that he doesn’t need to try so he doesn’t move his feet and just flicks it out there. Not a fan of those. But on plays where he’s tasked with making reads and moving around, he looks very promising. And I didn’t expect to see accelerating like that, he can turn on the jets quick. 

With him coming in early, we could be looking at Irons vs. Steele for 2023. 

If Irons stays it will be his job, no debate, but it is always great for a QB to early enroll to learn the system. If he progresses like JoeMo would hope it would be his job in 2024.  

• Like 1