Jump to content

Class of '23 Offers & Verbal Commits


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

Catdaddyp: "Its pretty clear this staff is targeting mobile quarterbacks. My concern is the ability to hang on to him as more offers are likely to come if he has a big senior season."

 

First, welcome to this site. It's good to have you. No matter the sport there is a lot of passion for the Zips here.

 

Your quote above tells me you are well on your way to becoming a typical Zip fan in that despite our success we start worrying about what can go wrong. We are working on expecting success no matter what as soccer, track, swimming & diving and basketball programs  have shown. Give us time with football as we have been thru great trauma. But we will get there. The journey is shaping up to be fun.

 

In Joe We Trust. 

Good to be here! Despite what it may seem, I’m not looking for what can go wrong. Recruiting is a different beast in the fact that so much can change before signing day. It’s exciting to know this staff has a keen eye for talent. For the roster to get over the hump and into elite status, we’ll have to hang on to players like Wassel who may soon be pursued aggressively by Power 5 schools. It’s a good problem to have. 
 

I watched film on all of the recruits that the previous staff had verbal commits from and I can’t say there was much concern losing any of them to bigger programs. Things are definitely headed in the right direction!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, catdaddyp said:

Great pickup! Definitely a sleeper. Nice job by the staff getting in early on him. Hudl film linked below:

 

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/16848795/617966bcbee0f606c4773b0c

Great size, film looks great.  I could not find him on 247 and he has no stars (and I am a star guy).  But, we need big defensive linemen which is large weakness of the current roster..  

In Joe We Trust!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bigjim said:

Great size, film looks great.  I could not find him on 247 and he has no stars (and I am a star guy).  But, we need big defensive linemen which is large weakness of the current roster..  

In Joe We Trust!!!

My guess is the kid hasn’t done any of the summer camps. That’s where many kids get noticed and receive star bumps.
 

His head coach needs to submit information to the recruiting services so a profile can be made.

 

The thing that immediately jumps out is how well he moves for a guy his size. That first highlight of him running is impressive! He may not be a four star player, but he has the makings of a kid with a high ceiling. There’s a lot of raw talent and athleticism there. Hard to believe he’s as coordinated as he is being that big and young.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

My guess is the kid hasn’t done any of the summer camps. That’s where many kids get noticed and receive star bumps.
 

His head coach needs to submit information to the recruiting services so a profile can be made.

 

The thing that immediately jumps out is how well he moves for a guy his size. That first highlight of him running is impressive! He may not be a four star player, but he has the makings of a kid with a high ceiling. There’s a lot of raw talent and athleticism there. Hard to believe he’s as coordinated as he is being that big and young.

His athleticism does look good. You can tell the HS doesn't have many players recruited...I feel the hudl film doesn't do him many favors. Hard to spot and little reps on OL, which appears to be the position he's getting recruited.

 

BTW - quite positive all of Mumpfield, Gibson, and Mathison combined had no more than one FBS offer between them. I like taking a flyer on diamonds in the rough. Low risk (move them on while underclassman if they aren't showing anything), high reward.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, LZIp said:

His athleticism does look good. You can tell the HS doesn't have many players recruited...I feel the hudl film doesn't do him many favors. Hard to spot and little reps on OL, which appears to be the position he's getting recruited.

 

BTW - quite positive all of Mumpfield, Gibson, and Mathison combined had no more than one FBS offer between them. I like taking a flyer on diamonds in the rough. Low risk (move them on while underclassman if they aren't showing anything), high reward.

His technique isn’t too hot as an OL, but what he does display is transitional power needed to be successful in college. Meaning does he fall over, stumble, trip over himself? Or does he keep his balance and continue driving his man downfield while staying engaged?
 

I hope we are recruiting him as a DL. With the way he moves and runs, I wouldn’t be surprised if he is being recruited to split time between DE and NG within the 3-4 scheme.
 

The more I watch his film, the more excited I am about this pickup. He has natural gifts that can’t be taught. Getting stronger, refining technique, etc. is what our coaches will give him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

 

So I actually have it on good authority this commit is actually going to be the 22 class, though I’d typically think 23 given the timing. What I don’t know is if they’re on scholly and/or is this a replacement for the OL commit from Indiana who is the only freshman signee that isn’t on the roster. Not a lot of information out there on this one and this is and example of where it gets confusing when trying to track players on scholly.

Edited by LZIp
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

So I actually have it on good authority this commit is actually going to be the 22 class, though I’d typically think 23 given the timing. What I don’t know is if they’re on scholly and/or is this a replacement for the OL commit from Indiana who is the only freshman signee that isn’t on the roster. Not a lot of information out there on this one and this is and example of where it gets confusing when trying to track players on scholly.

Not in 247, Maxpreps says he graduates in 2022.  Looks like the quality of an Arth recruit.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, bigjim said:

Not in 247, Maxpreps says he graduates in 2022.  Looks like the quality of an Arth recruit.  

Agreed. Not to say Arth didn’t land some talent, but compared to the linemen Moorhead is bringing in, this recruit doesn’t quite fit the bill. He does have height and length, so that’s something to build on.

 

@LZIp Even if Davis does not make it to campus, he still counts towards 2022 scholarship limit if he already signed his letter of intent. That shouldn’t be an issue though, as we can offer up to 32 scholarships for 2022 - assuming the school and athletic department allow it.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I’m seeing offers from Kent, BG, Army, Navy, Air Force and some FCS schools.

Interesting offer. He has some sneaky athleticism and length. It’s clear this staff is targeting OL and TEs that are fairly athletic, have long frames, and possess the ability to add on plenty more mass. Definitely a developmental type player, but could turn out to be a productive one in a few years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...