MAC tournament

Tomorrow W. Virginia plays at Ga Southern. Mountaineers will win that match. Then they will have 10 points, jumping past both BG and Akron. Now matter you look at it, if the Zips do not win at W. Mich next Thurs, they will miss the Mac tournament. And don't forget GA State. They  will beat Ga Southern . If the Zips lose at W. Mich, they will look back with pain at that home loss to Ga State. We will know by around 6-6:30 P.M. on Thursday, whether or not the Zips season is over. T

• Like 2

NIU has a very good team.   Very disciplined on the back line.    Their players on offense that had the ball....were able to keep possession and advance the ball in their half of the field.

They beat West Virginia 2-0....in addition to yesterday's win over Akron.

Credit to NIU for proving the MAC coaches wrong.

https://getsomemaction.com/news/2021/8/25/west-virginia-selected-to-win-2021-mac-mens-soccer-title.aspx

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

In basketball, I could probably explain why different MAC programs stay at the top or vastly improve.   Could one of you guys explain how NIU and/or BG moved even or ahead of Akron, a program that has a stronger pedigree?

IMO, random chance plays a much bigger role in soccer than in basketball, due to the very low scores. I don't think either NIU or BUGS has "moved even" with Akron on a long-term basis. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NWAkron said:

In basketball, I could probably explain why different MAC programs stay at the top or vastly improve.   Could one of you guys explain how NIU and/or BG moved even or ahead of Akron, a program that has a stronger pedigree?

IMO, recruiting, recruiting, and recruiting.  I respect the coaches and believe they find "system" players over ranking.  However, I have been underwhelmed with our recent classes and somewhat disappointed with the career production of some of our higher ranked guys.  It seems as though our MLS pipeline has been tapped dry.  Not down on Embick and staff, just giving an honest assessment.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, zippypitt said:

IMO, recruiting, recruiting, and recruiting.  I respect the coaches and believe they find "system" players over ranking.  However, I have been underwhelmed with our recent classes and somewhat disappointed with the career production of some of our higher ranked guys.  It seems as though our MLS pipeline has been tapped dry.  Not down on Embick and staff, just giving an honest assessment.

Akron soccer has also been impacted by the financial troubles of the university.   Program used to have head coach, 2 full time assistants , a volunteer assistant coach and a director of soccer operations.   In Spring 2021, they had Jared, Ger, and Michael Nanchoff.    This fall, there appears to be a volunteer assistant coach on the sidelines.   I would think that the budget for recruiting trips was also cut.    Prospective student athletes are smart enough to distinguish between well run universities and a university that is having to cut back on essentials.  With Covid, face to face recruiting was also limited and international recruiting did not happen for fall 2020.   

Former Athletic Director Larry Williams.....always prioritized football and basketball over Men's soccer.  I am confident that Charles Guthrie and the new associate AD Marcus.....will value the excellence of the soccer program.

I do strongly disagree with the MLS pipeline comment.   The players that joined Akron from  2007 to 2011  (Nagbe, Yedlin, Trapp, Kitchen, Sarkodie, Caldwell etal)....would never go to college in today's environment.   The top 17 year olds and top 18 year olds are going to MLS academy teams or they are going to Europe.   In the Porter era, it was not unusual for Caleb to sign 5 of the top 25 ranked seniors.   Now, if you look at Top Drawer soccer's top 25, 23 or 24 of those young men have already turned pro.  No college is signing 2 or 3 of the top 25...much less 4 or 5.   If you look at top drawer soccer.....26 to 50th ranked players, a large % of that group is turning pro.    For 2022, Jared has already signed two young men ranked....around 75 or 80 in the country.(Levi Stephens and Stefan Dobrijevic).     If Jared can sign 2 more domestic players in the top 100 and add the usual good international recruits, 2022 should look promising.

• Thanks 1

Some very good observations in this thread. I would add that we have not had a consistent lineup in some time from one season to the next. Lots of new players and players playing new positions.

• Like 1