Game 9- Ball State

clarkwgriswold

1 hour ago, zipsrule said:

These are good points.  Rather than the adjustment being to change QBs, why not adjust the play calling to try and minimize the deficiencies?  How about some quick slants?  Maybe a few planned rollouts?  Or a screen pass?

Exactly.  You probably should call pass plays that take 4 seconds to develop when your line only gives your QB a second and a half.  Even a PCCC math major can do that math.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2021 at 8:15 AM, Zipmeister said:

I know you know that you really post these game threads to you know eek more predictions out of the Meister.

So here you know you go.

Zips by 14.

Akron sets new team record for longest field goal you know made.

Football Grandma you know rushes the field and cold cocks a ref for a bad call against the Zips (Arth you know immediately offers her a scholarship).

I'll pay to see that. You know.

• Haha 1

I know I’m in the minority but I do not believe the O-Line is as bad as most on here feel it is. The change in coaches just prior to the season was not optimal in its timing, considering coaches differences in technique etc. There have been multiple changes in personnel, so guys are still learning and growing into their positions, particularly the left side from tackle to center. I believe they’ve shown the ability to run block fairly effectively (certainly compared to 2019), and with inexperienced freshmen backs, one a walk-on. Pass protection undoubtedly needs to be better, but many of the sacks can be put on the staff’s lack of scheming to compensate for Iron’s deficiencies in the pocket. He is not a pocket passer and does not have the feel to step up into it to avoid the pressure from the edge. At least half those 11 sacks would have been avoided had he stepped up and released it quicker. His tendency is to scramble backwards or try and get wide. His limited success has come when the plays were controlled rollouts, throwing quick outs or balls in the flat. The reliance on free lancing and scrambling broken plays isn’t sustainable at the FBS level.

So I disagree Gibson was pulled due to the overall poor play of the offense. He was pulled because the HC and OC clearly believe Irons is the guy. They seem to love his ability to make broken plays but are too forgiving relative to his lack of other QB skills. Arth’s discussion (on Zips Live) about Saturday’s performance was a rationalization and justification, lacking any honest criticism. There was nothing I could discern that would indicate anyone but DJ will start the rest of the way. With that being said, if Guthrie doesn’t pull the plug on Arth, then I think DJ is the only returning QB next year.

Edited by Zipped Up
Correct a name

15 hours ago, Zipped Up said:

I know I’m in the minority but I do not believe the O-Line is as bad as most on here feel it is. The change in coaches just prior to the season was not optimal in its timing, considering coaches differences in technique etc. There have been multiple changes in personnel, so guys are still learning and growing into their positions, particularly the left side from tackle to center. I believe they’ve shown the ability to run block fairly effectively (certainly compared to 2019), and with inexperienced freshmen backs, one a walk-on. Pass protection undoubtedly needs to be better, but many of the sacks can be put on the staff’s lack of scheming to compensate for Iron’s deficiencies in the pocket. He is not a pocket passer and does not have the feel to step up into it to avoid the pressure from the edge. At least half those 11 sacks would have been avoided had he stepped up and released it quicker. His tendency is to scramble backwards or try and get wide. His limited success has come when the plays were controlled rollouts, throwing quick outs or balls in the flat. The reliance on free lancing and scrambling broken plays isn’t sustainable at the FBS level.

So I disagree Gibson was pulled due to the overall poor play of the offense. He was pulled because the HC and OC clearly believe he is the guy. They seem to love his ability to make broken plays but are too forgiving relative to his lack of other QB skills. Arth’s discussion (on Zips Live) about Saturday’s performance was a rationalization and justification, lacking any honest criticism. There was nothing I could discern that would indicate anyone but DJ will start the rest of the way. With that being said, if Guthrie doesn’t pull the plug on Arth, then I think DJ is the only returning QB next year.

I agree with the o line as I believe Gibson flat out has better pocket presence compared to the other 2. 

Your O line is only effective knowing whats going on behind them in regards to blocking. The other 2 are quick to abandon the pocket scrambling left and right out the gate. 

I get that it’s a TV show in which you are playing to the folks who have an interest in the Zips, but most of the people that watch the show also watch the game. So don’t tell me it’s raining while you’re pissing down my leg. His appraisal of his QB’s performance that included 5 fumbles, an INT and 4 turnovers while passing for less than 100 yards ranged from at worst; “WE” have to do a better job of taking care of the ball” to at best; “yeah he really has the ability to make things happen with his legs” 

And Joe Dunn should retire after his effusive praise of the same performance. What the hell game were you watching? May as well have given him offensive player of the game. 

9 hours ago, Zipped Up said:

And Joe Dunn should retire after his effusive praise of the same performance. What the hell game were you watching? May as well have given him offensive player of the game. 

Joe has no input as to the content of the show. His job is to be a cheerleader for the Zips, not Mike Wallace on 60 minutes.

• Like 1

God bless Joe Dunn.  Every week he swallows the disappointment and stays positive as the Zips football world crumbles around him.  Let's not forget that he's paid to support the program not be Morley Safer.

bigjim has a stronger stomach than me.  I barely make it to the first use of the word "challenge."

• Like 1

I get that he is a cheerleader, read my first sentence. The post was meant to second the overall notion that the show is a waste of time if there isn’t even a smidgen of honest analysis. I’m not advocating that any player be criticized for a poor performance either. But if there is nothing good to say, then don’t say it. I think he has that level of input.

Regardless, I agree, Joe Dunn isn’t Mike Wallace ….nor the issue at hand.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well, my friend asked me if he could have my tickets to take his young son. I am alright with this.

What I am not happy about is that I am alright with this. I wish the Zips were good and fun to watch and then I'll be like "No way!" on letting someone have my tickets. But alas, they make it easy to not go to the stadium on a Tuesday night and just watch it on TV. I wish this was a hard decision to make.

• Like 1

There's not a ton I have to say in preparation for this game. Before the year started, this is one I circled as a guaranteed loss with the defending MAC Champs bringing so many guys back. Following the Buffalo loss, I'd be shocked if a single player had interest in competing in this one. I hope I'm wrong. 

Keep an eye on Justin Hall for Ball State (WR). He's made a catch in every game in his career and he's a cool all around story. He started at Ball State when they were the worst team in the MAC in 2017. The Zips beat them by a final of 31-3 on a gorgeous homecoming afternoon.

Ball State -19.5 all day long. Go Zips.