Game 2- Ohio State

clarkwgriswold

The Zips head to Columbus on the 9th to face the Buckeyes.

Here are some previews of the Buckeyes-

https://www.btpowerhouse.com/2021/10/28/22746468/2021-22-ohio-state-buckeyes-basketball-season-preview-team-predictions-big-ten-stat-holtmann-liddell

https://bustingbrackets.com/2021/10/09/ohio-state-basketball-2021-22-season-preview-and-outlook-for-the-buckeyes/

I am currently out of town but will try to post some more info soon.

• Thanks 1

Key players Young & Towns will miss the start of the season.

Massive news in regards to our chance at a major upset. Young is the heart & soul of that team effort wise, and Towns is a key piece with grad-level experience in their front court. Their tallest player is a 6'11" grad transfer from Indiana, and their next tallest players are 6'8" (but built). With Towns & Young out, we have an opportunity to catch the Suckeyes off-guard, as they lost 6 players from last season, and have 5 new faces in their rotation. 

If we learn to bring the energy that Press Virginia brought in the Exhibition game, this could be a W. At the very least, I'm expecting a close game.

• Like 1

Going to make a special effort to see this opener in the Zip State.  I don't get a chance to see that much B1G BB here in Oceania, but especially interested in OSUcks wing/F Justice Sueing, whose father JS Sr starred for the Hawaii Rainbow Warriors about 25 yrs ago.  I knew him as one of the players who liked to ride their mopeds on the freeway!  🙄

OSU looks like an undersized squad that Akron can rebound against and hopefully score on inside, perhaps opening up the 3-point line for our shooters.  It worked last time out for Oral Roberts.  Let's hope we make it two-in-a-row!

I really wish this team had a stretch big to help Freeman on the boards.  It would also give us a chance to have 2 bigs in the game together.  I'd like to see Aziz and Freeman on the floor together but I am not sure of either can play well enough out of the post so as to not clog things up down low.

It's going to be fun watching Groce work out the rotations.  In Groce I trust. 

30 minutes ago, dre22era said:

Im surprised the usual folks are not mad about another Power 5 match up 

That seems to be more football based.  The basketball posters don't seem to have that aversion.  They in fact generally want a more challenging OOC schedule.

Maybe its because our basketball team generally has a chance of staying in the game like this than the football team.  I'm confident that the basketball Zips will lose to the basketball Buckeyes by less than the 52 of their football counterparts.

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

That seems to be more football based.  The basketball posters don't seem to have that aversion.  They in fact generally want a more challenging OOC schedule.

Maybe its because our basketball team generally has a chance of staying in the game like this than the football team.  I'm confident that the basketball Zips will lose to the basketball Buckeyes by less than the 52 of their football counterparts.

a bad basketball team is more likely to beat a top 10 team than a bad football team is to beat a top 10 team

And the basketball players aren't being tackled by 300 pound linebackers 

Edited by NWAkron

Ohio State is ranked 17th in the nation.   I have been following Akron basketball for a long time and correct me if I am wrong but I do not believe we have ever beaten a ranked team.  I know they came close to beating VCU and Nevada at home but I do not know if those teams were ranked when we played them.  You would think all the stars would align and Akron would have beat a ranked team at some point in time.  Maybe Tuesday?

2 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

Ohio State is ranked 17th in the nation.   I have been following Akron basketball for a long time and correct me if I am wrong but I do not believe we have ever beaten a ranked team.  I know they came close to beating VCU and Nevada at home but I do not know if those teams were ranked when we played them.  You would think all the stars would align and Akron would have beat a ranked team at some point in time.  Maybe Tuesday?

Was Miss. State ranked when we beat them?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/933476-quincy-diggs-leads-akron-past-mississippi-state

3 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

Wow.  The memories!  lol. Renardo Sydney versus Zeke!  Just six weeks later Sydney got into an "altercation" (i.e., punches-swinging and landing) brawl with his own team's point guard in the stands one section from me at the Diamond Head Classic.  That was, I believe the end of the McDonalds All-America's college career.  I don't believe they were close to Top-25, but talented.  No, we've never beaten a ranked team.  Nevada was the closest.

So pumped for this game, it's like Christmas Day! I don't know much about Ohio State, but I do know that they are the most skilled team on the schedule this year, including WVU. I'm not thinking Akron is going to win, but this is a big opportunity to prove themselves in the national picture early.

This is as stacked a roster that Akron has had maybe ever, they have 8-9 guys that could start anywhere in the MAC. With that said, I am very concerned about where the leadership comes from. There isn't really a signature guy that has worked his way up in the program from green freshman to leading the team. I think that's where a lot of problems we see early on are going to come from, hopefully to be corrected and figured out soon. Also, I don't know who the go-to guy is. Who do we trust to take the last shot down by 1 under 10 seconds to go? Those are my two biggest concerns. I'm iffy on overall perimeter shooting, but I think it will be more spread out this year once the team develops chemistry.

In Groce we trust. Go Zips!

• Like 2