Game 2- Ohio State

clarkwgriswold

17 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Well. Walton fought threw it and was closing. If the call was to switch everything then Walton blew it. But, I think Freeman needs to see that and not chase the guard on the perimeter

Agreed.  Looks like Walton and Freeman both chased the guard.  One switched and one didn't.   In any event, Ali shouldn't end up on that bruiser down low.  

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 1

I was really impressed with the Zips.  I couldn't believe this was the first game of the season.  the defense, the fight, the clutch plays, the comebacks.  Awesome game.  Whether they beat a "ranked" team doesn't so much matter to me.  That doesn't matter too much (or at all) come March.  And Ohio State may not be ranked too long for all we know.   Beating Ohio State would have been incredibly awesome for Akron and Groce.  Super game.  I liked that he could play so many players.

Wow. How many painful losses can UA teams put up in the span of one week? 

Absolutely a brutal way to lose. It looked like an incredible way to win before it became an incredible loss. I love how this team plays defense. Groce is truly amazing at getting guys to buy in on that end of the floor. Offensively, Castaneda really worried me in the first half, but he came out firing with confidence in the second half and looked a lot more comfortable. Trimble still looks just as streaky, but he played a lot harder on defense. Tribble was outstanding on defense. Walton looked a bit out of control, but made it work. Ali can create his own shot. 

No moral victories. I may feel good about the Zips heading forward, but that’s a game they should’ve won. Freeman owns his mistake on the blown coverage, and I hope that’s a strong learning moment for the still young former walk on. On to Point Park, see you at the JAR!!

13 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

We are tied with Ohio State in basketball and beating Western Michigan in football.  I guess this is Zips heaven!!!

Losing a buzzer beater to Ohio State when 2 defenders leave a guy wide open under the basket.  Watching our safeties in football let a receiver run past them to score a winning touchdown in the last minute.  Obviously, this is not Zip heaven but must be the other place.

• Like 1

Our defense was fantastic last night. I know Groce stresses D, but I can’t help but feel our scrimmage w/ WVU showed our guys first hand what true, sold-out commitment to that end of the floor looks like. 

I hope Groce & Co. can motivate the guys to maintain that level of defensive intensity.

50 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Our defense was fantastic last night. I know Groce stresses D, but I can’t help but feel our scrimmage w/ WVU showed our guys first hand what true, sold-out commitment to that end of the floor looks like. 

I hope Groce & Co. can motivate the guys to maintain that level of defensive intensity.

I don't think this team has the same top level of starting talent that the LCJ, Cheese, Banks, Xeyrius team did, but they're deeper. You could see at points Groce used this aggressive style of defense for stretches in year past, but he couldn't maintain it for an entire game as he knew he would tire out the team given the lack of bench depth. I expect to see this same style of defense start to finish every game assuming we stay healthy.

• Like 2

On 11/9/2021 at 9:49 AM, Blue & Gold said:

Initial TeamRankings dot com rankings currently rank Akron as the #128 team in the country and the #4 team in the MAC.

Teamrankings dot com ranks OSU as the #9 team nationally and give the Zips a 7% chance to win.

Hopefully this game vaults us into the top 125 😐

5 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Still a little surprised we've not seen Michael Wynn.

He’s not hurt or anything, and we know his abilities. His defense is very valuable and he’s a great athlete. I have a feeling it’s an attitude/teamism thing. Wynn loves him some Wynn, and that’s not the kind of guy Groce wants in there. Hopefully they’re working on it. 

7 minutes ago, blueandgold said:

What a joke. There is no way we should be out of the Top 100. 

These are the kenpom rankings, which are computer rankings. They factor in last year and preseason rankings until like early January. They can't really do it any other way as there isn't really a large enough sample size. Heck quite a few teams haven't even played yet. Once you get into the end of December these rankings start to paint a better picture.