MAC Men's Basketball 2021-2022

LoyalZIP

11 hours ago, RoyalBlu said:

From what I've seen/read, it looks like the Zips and the Rockets might be 3/4. 4/3 in the MAC power rankings behind UB-OU. And even if Akron is No. 4, the Zips depth should be the ace in the hole down the stretch of the season. After that, perhaps Miami with all of their seniors is the real deal, or maybe BG comes around.  As for the team down the road, they seem to have depth issues as well. Several games of theirs (Xavier, Towson, West Virginia) have been competitively close until the final 8-minutes or so when they seem to run out of gas. Backcourt is solid but baseline players whistle through the graveyard. Their two SEC transfers have been injured and out of action for the most part leaving them with a very young bench. They could get better as the season goes on ... or they could get worse.

Good call.

1. Buffalo

2. Ohio

3. Toledo/Akron

4. Akron/Toledo

5. KSUcks

Man, I love MAC basketball.

11 hours ago, RoyalBlu said:

As for the team down the road, they seem to have depth issues as well. Several games of theirs (Xavier, Towson, West Virginia) have been competitively close until the final 8-minutes or so when they seem to run out of gas.

This is why it's been so disappointing that Wynn has earned ZERO PT.  After Walton's inglorious departure, we're running a 7-man rotation.  That's awfully thin.  Ali's been playing every minute of the game.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Blue & Gold said:

]That's awfully thin.  Ali's been playing every minute of the game.

Speaking of thin...

16 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

1. Buffalo

2. Ohio

3. Toledo/Akron

4. Akron/Toledo

5. KSUcks

Man, I love MAC basketball.

This seems about right.  Watched Buffalo play the other night, and they are a big, physical team...and Graves is finally gone.

29 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Buffalo down 12 at half.  Came back and had 2 point lead.  Then lost by 3 pointer at the buzzer.  Jeanathan Williams turnover cost them the game.

I believe Canisius is a local rival for UB, so that might explain this result despite the difference in records.

Still a crappy loss for the MAC.

On 12/20/2021 at 3:41 PM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

The MAC is looking like an absolute powerhouse this year.

1. Ohio

2. Toledo

3. Akron

4. Everyone else. 

5. Central Michigan.

Edit: This is 100% sarcasm, @NWAkron. The MAC sucks aside from potentially OU, Toledo, and Akron. 

As long as Akron is in the top 8 and heading to Cleveland, I'm good.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

What are the odds the tournaments get scrapped again?

Honestly? I'd put it at 15%. The current wave is the direct result of Thanksgiving/Christmas (...it's almost like we can predict these things or something...it's almost like science works if we give it enough time...) and will likely burn through by March and be on the decline in cases.

Hopefully the universities can be smart and require masking at all games, and if they were even smarter they'd start requiring proof of vaccination like Playhouse Square does, to limit the potential disruption of a program outbreak. But ultimately it's whatever the players do in their spare time away from the buildings that will dictate the % chance of a program outbreak.

Edited by TheZipCat
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs down 1

1 hour ago, ZippyRulz said:

What are the odds the tournaments get scrapped again?

they had the tournament last year.  so doubtful.

The CDC shortened its recommended isolation time for people who test positive for Covid-19 from 10 days to five days if they’re asymptomatic

Edited by NWAkron

22 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Game vs BG and NIU postponed. With a handful of other MAC games as well.

Ugh, and the beat goes on.

20 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

Omicron is basically a very contagious common cold. Most of the people who are filling the hospitals right now have Delta. 

....and largely unvaccinated.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

Not really. I have multiple vaccinated employees that have caught Omicron. That includes me.

I believe Clark is referring to the ones that are getting covid severe enough that they need to be hospitalized. The numbers I've seen reported range anywhere from 66%-85% of hospitalizations are from the unvaccinated.

• Like 3

On 12/27/2021 at 7:21 PM, Hilltopper said:

Omicron is basically a very contagious common cold. Most of the people who are filling the hospitals right now have Delta. 

Please stop comparing SARS-CoV-2 to influenza and flu-like viruses. It's not even close to a similar comparison. Rhinoviruses, RSVs, and Parainfluenza viruses are responsible for "the common cold" and comparing them to Coronaviruses is laughably ignorant. Like, not even the same phylogenetic branches of the viral clades, or in how they interact with our cells and how the immune system develops antibodies for them.

Having similar symptoms does not equal similarity. 

Edited by TheZipCat
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

Not really. I have multiple vaccinated employees that have caught Omicron. That includes me.

Data from the CDC:

Unvaccinated: 451 cases per 100k

Vaccinated: 134 cases per 100k

Boosted: 48 cases per 100k

Unvaccinated: 6.1 deaths per 100k

Vaccinated: 0.5 deaths per 100k

Boosted: 0.1 deaths per 100k

With the rate of mutation we see in SARS-CoV-2 the only way to increase the chance of not contracting new strains is boosting. Though the level of protection given from Vaccines and Boosters is undeniable.

• Like 2