MAC Men's Basketball 2021-2022

LoyalZIP

4 minutes ago, TheZipCat said:

Please stop comparing SARS-CoV-2 to influenza and flu-like viruses. It's not even close to a similar comparison. Rhinoviruses, RSVs, and Parainfluenza viruses are responsible for "the common cold" and comparing them to Coronaviruses is laughably ignorant. Like, not even the same phylogenetic branches of the viral clades, or in how they interact with our cells and how the immune system develops antibodies for them.

Having similar symptoms does not equal similarity. 

but Lebron said the flu, covid, and the cold are the same thing 😁

I think I may have finally contracted it.  It's not hitting too hard. Slight headache, slight body ache, stuffy nose, slightly sore throat.  Certainly not a big deal.  (Presently. I suppose symptoms could become worse. Idk.)  But I'm planning on just chilling at home till I'm over it.  Is that typical protocol?  Or am I supposed to go to the emergency room & have them check if it's actually COVID?  Or buy a home test kit... and report it to someone?  How do they get these numbers?  I've only ever gone to the emergency room once in my life from having the flu.  I just always hunker down & ride it out.  That year the flu hit me MUCH harder than whatever I have now.

Unfortunately I still have my senses of smell and taste.  When I inevitably contracted it I was hoping to get back to 190 but it doesn't look like that's going to happen 😂

Edited by Blue & Gold

42 minutes ago, TheZipCat said:

Please stop comparing SARS-CoV-2 to influenza and flu-like viruses. It's not even close to a similar comparison. Rhinoviruses, RSVs, and Parainfluenza viruses are responsible for "the common cold" and comparing them to Coronaviruses is laughably ignorant. Like, not even the same phylogenetic branches of the viral clades, or in how they interact with our cells and how the immune system develops antibodies for them.

Thank you for this succinct and factual explanation.  As someone working in medicine, the constant minimizing of the pandemic and comparisons to the flu are profoundly frustrating.  The world is dealing with a new virus that we still don't understand how it affects the brain (loss of taste/smell in the parietal lobe), and the cardiovascular system (stroke, cardiomyopathy). 

No, games aren't being canceled because of kids getting the flu.  Games are being canceled out of an abundance of caution with hope of minimizing potential lifelong complications from a novel virus on young, healthy athletes.  

Bottom line for us as fans is that we're frustrated with cancelation of events that we find entertaining.  A minor inconvenience.  

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I think I may have finally contracted it.  It's not hitting too hard. Slight headache, slight body ache, stuffy nose, slightly sore throat.  Certainly not a big deal.  (Presently. I suppose symptoms could become worse. Idk.)  But I'm planning on just chilling at home till I'm over it.  Is that typical protocol?  Or am I supposed to go to the emergency room & have them check if it's actually COVID?  Or buy a home test kit... and report it to someone?  How do they get these numbers?  I've only ever gone to the emergency room once in my life from having the flu.  I just always hunker down & ride it out.  That year the flu hit me MUCH harder than whatever I have now.

Unfortunately I still have my senses of smell and taste.  When I inevitably contracted it I was hoping to get back to 190 but it doesn't look like that's going to happen 😂

I wouldn't go to the emergency room. You don't want to expose others to it if you have it. Not to mention the long waiting times. Just before Thanksgiving I was a close contact and was feeling a little sick. I didn't think I had covid (which turned out to be accurate), but wanted to make sure as the last thing I wanted to do was give it to my family on Thanksgiving. I scheduled an appointment with The Liberty Clinic in Belden Village for a rapid test. I didn't even have to leave my car. They ran someone out to me to test me. My insurance also covered the cost. It took all of a few minutes.

You can do an at home test too, but I don't have any experience with that.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I wouldn't go to the emergency room. You don't want to expose others to it if you have it. Not to mention the long waiting times. Just before Thanksgiving I was a close contact and was feeling a little sick. I didn't think I had covid (which turned out to be accurate), but wanted to make sure as the last thing I wanted to do was give it to my family on Thanksgiving. I scheduled an appointment with The Liberty Clinic in Belden Village for a rapid test. I didn't even have to leave my car. They ran someone out to me to test me. My insurance also covered the cost. It took all of a few minutes.

Thanks.  Good idea.  I'll wait a day & see how I feel & then maybe go to one of those drive-thru places.  Fortunately I don't feel that bad, but my place of employment may want to know what I am sick with.

39 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

There are a few nasty bugs going around.  I've known a few people, including my sister, who had a weeks long bad cold and were tested for everything.  I think the protocol is don't go to ER unless you are having trouble breathing.

• Thanks 1

On 12/27/2021 at 5:23 PM, TheZipCat said:

Honestly? I'd put it at 15%. The current wave is the direct result of Thanksgiving/Christmas (...it's almost like we can predict these things or something...it's almost like science works if we give it enough time...) and will likely burn through by March and be on the decline in cases.

Hopefully the universities can be smart and require masking at all games, and if they were even smarter they'd start requiring proof of vaccination like Playhouse Square does, to limit the potential disruption of a program outbreak. But ultimately it's whatever the players do in their spare time away from the buildings that will dictate the % chance of a program outbreak.

Have you considered giving motivational speeches?

These guys could use you.

Edited by Zipmeister
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Drive-in testing location, you can schedule it with any of the local pharmacies.  PCR is the way to go if you really want to know. I did not have it when I got sick earlier this year this winter. 

How they get the numbers is from the PCR tests, or the diagnosis from a professional consultation per the CDC guidelines. The at-home tests are for personal records, they aren't reported.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheZipCat said:

Scientists first identified a human coronavirus in 1965. It caused a common cold. That is the original virus.

2 hours ago, blueandgold said:

Scientists first identified a human coronavirus in 1965. It caused a common cold. That is the original virus.

The "common cold" isn't one virus, it's a series of viruses that tend to spread seasonally and have similar symptoms, as I listed above; and all have different characteristics such as HMPV which mostly impacts children, and appears to have been circulating for 200 years. The Human Coronavirus that you suggest was discovered in 1965 was actually discovered in 1961 by a Common Cold research laboratory. That doesn't mean it qualifies for being registered as a "common cold" virus, nor that it was the "original virus" for the common cold. It was a virus identified after samples from a patient with general symptoms. That doesn't mean it's classified as a "Common Cold Virus".

I know this might sound arbitrary, but to researchers it isn't. Symptoms do not equal classification. The inability of Kendal et. al. to cultivate the virus was what led to the discovery of the new clade of viruses. Simply producing a fever (aka cold) is not good enough for combating disease. This is why the first SARS-CoV-2 patient identified in a hospital in Wuhan was labeled as "SARS?" because the symptoms pointed to an upper respiratory virus, but all tests (even SARS-1 tests) came up negative and could not be identified by viral analysis. The only evidence they had of infection was the chest X-Rays...the same method that SARS-CoV-1 was originally identified in 2003...and something researchers had been warning about for the nearly 2-decades since.

The 60-odd years later...and the advent of RNA analysis, we've been able to trace viruses and their evolutionary clades. Clumping coronaviruses in with the viruses I listed in the previous post, as if to suggest they are something to be ignored or "common", is incredibly ignorant. SARS and MERS demonstrate exactly why they are a clade of viruses that should not be so ignorantly ignored or brushed aside as "common" because they jumping to humans are far from "common".

From RNA analysis we know all Coronaviruses, evolutionarily speaking, originate from Bats. Which is why researchers became increasingly concerned about the encroachment of domesticated animal farms in rural China, India, Pakistan and SE Asia because of the overlap with wild bat populations. Ironically this is where Pangolins, the most trafficked mammal on the planet, come into our little story...but that is a story for another time.

Edited by TheZipCat
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheZipCat said:

The "common cold" isn't one virus, it's a series of viruses that tend to spread seasonally and have similar symptoms, as I listed above; and all have different characteristics such as HMPV which mostly impacts children, and appears to have been circulating for 200 years. The Human Coronavirus that you suggest was discovered in 1965 was actually discovered in 1961 by a Common Cold research laboratory. That doesn't mean it qualifies for being registered as a "common cold" virus, nor that it was the "original virus" for the common cold. It was a virus identified after samples from a patient with general symptoms. That doesn't mean it's classified as a "Common Cold Virus".

I know this might sound arbitrary, but to researchers it isn't. Symptoms do not equal classification. The inability of Kendal et. al. to cultivate the virus was what led to the discovery of the new clade of viruses. Simply producing a fever (aka cold) is not good enough for combating disease. This is why the first SARS-CoV-2 patient identified in a hospital in Wuhan was labeled as "SARS?" because the symptoms pointed to an upper respiratory virus, but all tests (even SARS-1 tests) came up negative and could not be identified by viral analysis. The only evidence they had of infection was the chest X-Rays...the same method that SARS-CoV-1 was originally identified in 2003...and something researchers had been warning about for the nearly 2-decades since.

The 60-odd years later...and the advent of RNA analysis, we've been able to trace viruses and their evolutionary clades. Clumping coronaviruses in with the viruses I listed in the previous post, as if to suggest they are something to be ignored or "common", is incredibly ignorant. SARS and MERS demonstrate exactly why they are a clade of viruses that should not be so ignorantly ignored or brushed aside as "common" because they jumping to humans are far from "common".

From RNA analysis we know all Coronaviruses, evolutionarily speaking, originate from Bats. Which is why researchers became increasingly concerned about the encroachment of domesticated animal farms in rural China, India, Pakistan and SE Asia because of the overlap with wild bat populations. Ironically this is where Pangolins, the most trafficked mammal on the planet, come into our little story...but that is a story for another time.

Thanks for keeping your focus on Zip sports. I hope you feel better after your educational thesis. I bet the Pangolins have a hell of a team this season.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

Thanks for keeping your focus on Zip sports. I hope you feel better after your educational thesis. I bet the Pangolins have a hell of a team this season.

It's important for University of Akron alumni to be as informed as possible, and this has affected all sports fans. My first post was succinct and direct as possible, @blueandgold responded with a, not fully accurate understanding which needed to be addressed. Perhaps you should redirect your ire there; to the incorrect understandings rather than the corrections. We shouldn't be an echochamber for misunderstandings.

Pangolins, however, would make a wonderful mascot.
image.png.eb0fb2525300d75c0b91f3e18d704574.png

Edited by TheZipCat
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

Let's see, we're up to omicron, then there's pi, rho, sigma .... still lots of Greek letters left...

When are we going back to Xi? 

Toledo at PCCC on Saturday at 2pm. ESPN3. That'll be one to keep an eye on.

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

On 12/29/2021 at 10:04 AM, kreed5120 said:

A major Akron hospital had a 40 patient waiting list for admissions (rooms). The other is probably in the same situation.

Edited by Spin

On 12/29/2021 at 9:02 AM, TheZipCat said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/31/health/covid-omicron-lung-cells.html

This virus is going to be with us forever. Forgive me for hoping that Omicron becomes the dominant strain.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/31/health/covid-omicron-lung-cells.html

This virus is going to be with us forever. Forgive me for hoping that Omicron becomes the dominant strain.

And?Just because something will be with us forever doesn't mean you should/can treat it trivally, especially in the initial phases of novel viruse's adaptation to the human immune system and our immune system to it. There's a saturation point to adaptation which you hope to reach a stable, predicable, rate of mutation. This is why H1N1 (which is the chief culprit for the 1918 pandemic) is not as deadly today. It reached its mutable saturation point to which there's only a limited scope for which it can mutate, and our immune system has a wider ability to adapt to those mutations...and we learned how to treat patients to increase survivability. With the 1918 pandemic it wasn't the virus that killed you, it was your autoimmune cytokine shock that killed you. You literally drowned in your own autoimmune response of trying to fight the virus. If given enough time, most people fought it off. The problem was...they drowned long before that could happen.

The original projections back in February 2020 based on the rate of mutation, to reach a point of normalcy was at the earliest 2022...latest 2025. We're right on track for that projection. Huh, it's almost as if science works or something.

Edited by TheZipCat
  • Like 1