MAC Men's Basketball 2021-2022

LoyalZIP

1 minute ago, zipsrule said:

What could have been if Akron wins against Northern or Western.

Uhh.  well, maybe Zips would still have Trimble?  Can't look backwards.

I believe OU won last year because they were fresh, having only played a handful of games from end of February into March.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Uhh.  well, maybe Zips would still have Trimble?  Can't look backwards.

I believe OU won last year because they were fresh, having only played a handful of games from end of February into March.

Good point.

Edited by Blue & Gold

2 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I assume there's no way we can get the 3 seed?

Nope, and it looks like the final 8 teams are set unless BG can beat Toledo @ Toledo when Toledo is playing for the #1 seed and the regular season championship.  Toledo reminds me of the Zips 2020 team.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I assume there's no way we can get the 3 seed?

Nope we were locked into the 4/5 game even before tonight. The best we can do is tie either KSU or OU and we lose the tiebreakers to both of them. 

KSUcks wins by single digits against NIU. They shot 41.7% from the floor, and 16.7% from 3. Should they ever slip up and not shoot lights out against the best in the MAC (I highlighted, I think earlier in this thread, their shooting differences against the top of the MAC vs the bottom), they'll get run out of the gym. 

Ohio lost to BG by 3. BobcatAttack is a real pick-me-up if you're having a down day. Many are looking towards next season already, and one post even says that last night's loss may have cost them the CBI. Yes, you read that correctly. The Athens Kitty Cats are worried about the CBI. Despicable Me Reaction GIF

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

KSUcks wins by single digits against NIU. They shot 41.7% from the floor, and 16.7% from 3. Should they ever slip up and not shoot lights out against the best in the MAC (I highlighted, I think earlier in this thread, their shooting differences against the top of the MAC vs the bottom), they'll get run out of the gym. 

Ohio lost to BG by 3. BobcatAttack is a real pick-me-up if you're having a down day. Many are looking towards next season already, and one post even says that last night's loss may have cost them the CBI. Yes, you read that correctly. The Athens Kitty Cats are worried about the CBI. Despicable Me Reaction GIF

Definitely looking forward to Kitten attack today!

34 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Yes, they are so despondent it isn't even fun.  A CBI reference would be a funny joke on Ball State Over the Pylon, but on Kittens Attack, they are deadly serious.

Carter got booted with just under 4 minutes left against BG, right after OU made a huge run to get back into the game.   He got called for travelling then went off on the ref who T'd him up.  He then kept at it and got the quick hook.  He then acted like a child taking forever to leave and then holding his ear to the crowd as he walked out.  Nice childish display for a 5th year player and a complete momentum killer for OU.  It was fun to replay on ESPN+. 

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Carter got booted with just under 4 minutes left against BG, right after OU made a huge run to get back into the game.   He got called for travelling then went off on the ref who T'd him up.  He then kept at it and got the quick hook.  He then acted like a child taking forever to leave and then holding his ear to the crowd as he walked out.  Nice childish display for a 5th year player and a complete momentum killer for OU.  It was fun to replay on ESPN+. 

Actually a 6th year senior! In his second stint at OU!!! LOL

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

He whined that the BG guy pushed him. I was watching the game and when they showed a different angle you could see Carter not only traveled but hooked the BG out of the way while going to the basket.  

Edited by NWAkron

8 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

He whined that the BG guy pushed him. I was watching the game and when they showed a different angle you could see Carter not only traveled but hooked the BG out of the way while going to the basket.  

It was clearly contact he initiated and a travel.  Those picky MAC refs will generally call travelling when you take 4-5 steps.

Not to digress from the current topic of a bobkitty tantrum, but I had a slow afternoon at work so I did a brief (and very basic) statistical analysis for the MAC POTY candidates.  I looked at the top 20 in these statistics:  points, rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks.  I used a progressive scale to award a point value based on the player's ranking in the MAC, i.e. 1st in a stat = 20 down to 20th in a category = 1.  NR in a stat = 0.  Below is the top 10.

image.png.2d4ca3b610217e1629ad4a3fd00f06c4.png

I find these rankings hard to argue, other than the fact that guys like Rollins and Sears have trailed off slightly in the late season.  Also interesting that the only player not from a contending team is Plowden, whom I think is 34 year old at this point.  

Other Zips of note:

Bandaogo 22nd with 20 points (tied for first in blocks with Enrique)

Ali (16th in assists, 13th in points) 32nd with 13 points

Castaneda (19th in assists) and Tribble (19th in steals) tied for 47th with 2 points

Edited by RowdyZip
Added rankings for other Zips.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, RowdyZip said:

Not to digress from the current topic of a bobkitty tantrum, but I had a slow afternoon at work so I did a brief (and very basic) statistical analysis for the MAC POTY candidates.  I looked at the top 20 in these statistics:  points, rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks.  I used a progressive scale to award a point value based on the player's ranking in the MAC, i.e. 1st in a stat = 20 down to 20th in a category = 1.  NR in a stat = 0.  Below is the top 10.

I find these rankings hard to argue, other than the fact that guys like Rollins and Sears have trailed off slightly in the late season.  Also interesting that the only player not from a contending team is Plowden, whom I think is 34 year old at this point.  

Other Zips of note:

Castaneda (19th in assists) and Tribble (19th in steals) tied for 47th with 2 points

Not too far off for sure. I know you aren't asking for feedback, but I wonder what it would look like if you gave a little more weight to points and found a way to knock them for a lower shooting % and turnovers per game. Probably not a whole lot different.

59 minutes ago, RowdyZip said:

Other Zips of note:

Nice work.  Rollins would get my vote.  

My All-MAC team would be: Rollins, Insincere, Sears, Freeman and Plowden

DPOY- Freeman

Freshman of the Year-  co-winners- Farakhan and Sparks

29 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Wow, I just looked his up and when he was promoted from asst. coach to coach his salary went from $110,000 to $120,000.  Not exactly a vote of confidence.  

Bates had been with WMU basically since 2000. That's a lot of mediocrity to build your career on. 

Per BobcatAttack, Bates has(had?) a commitment from a Javaughn Hannah for next season. Rivals lists him as a 3*, and the 32nd best SG in the country for his class. His offer list is impressive, although most of the offers came earlier in his high school career.

Is Clayton Bates a recruiting sorcerer? 

44 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

How did this guy get Lamar Norman to Kalamazoo? Does Lamar stay with a new coach or opt to transfer, having to sit out a year in the process?

I believe Norman had some family issues and wanted to be close to home, that is my understanding but I don’t know the whole story.