MAC Men's Basketball 2021-2022

LoyalZIP

Didn't want to create a new thread, but Dennis Gates is the leading candidate for Missouri apparently. He's done nice at Cle St, but nothing really noteworthy to warrant that big of a jump IMO.

Edit: As long as it isn't Groce, why the hell am I complaining?!

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, LZIp said:

Didn't want to create a new thread, but Dennis Gates is the leading candidate for Missouri apparently. He's done nice at Cle St, but nothing really noteworthy to warrant that big of a jump IMO.

Edit: As long as it isn't Groce, why the hell am I complaining?!

Yikes.  A colleague is a big CSU fan.  He knew this day was coming.   And, agree, he's hasn't accomplished anything more than bringing CSU to near the top of the awful Horizon League 

11 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Yikes.  A colleague is a big CSU fan.  He knew this day was coming.   And, agree, he's hasn't accomplished anything more than bringing CSU to near the top of the awful Horizon League 

Missouri seems to disagree. He's on his way to Columbia according to Terry Pluto.

With openings at a couple MAC schools, and Travis Steele being jobless at the moment does anyone think the league could have a brother coaching act with Steele and Groce?  If Balls St can afford him, I could imagine it, though it's quite a step down.  The school has past tradition however.

28 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

With openings at a couple MAC schools, and Travis Steele being jobless at the moment does anyone think the league could have a brother coaching act with Steele and Groce?  If Balls St can afford him, I could imagine it, though it's quite a step down.  The school has past tradition however.

I don't see Steele getting much, if any, attention from major conferences. His time at Xavier was more disappointing than Groce time at Illinois and Groce at least had prior tournament success to bolster his resume. Steele has really nothing. He's almost certainly going to have to go back to being an assistant at a high major or accept a position at some place like a Ball State to prove himself. 

Whether or not a MAC school has interest in him I have no idea. I don't think he would be a break the bank though. If he decides to be a head coach at a mid-major over being an assistant at a big school, I'd imagine he'd sign for ~500k/yr. I believe Whitford was making around 300k so it would definitely be a pay increase, but very doable if they decide they want to make a splash hire.

1 minute ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Loses NCAA Tournament game Saturday night. Takes new job Sunday morning. Classy.

I never said he was a man of high character.  Clearly, he isn't.  However, I thought BG overreacted when they fired him.  They could have taken some remedial steps.  But the Zips are fortunate Huger is still at at the helm.

26 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I never said he was a man of high character.  Clearly, he isn't.  However, I thought BG overreacted when they fired him.  They could have taken some remedial steps.  But the Zips are fortunate Huger is still at at the 

I was just agreeing with you.

34 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

sorry, i phrased that poorly.  Also, in the "life comes at you hard" category:  Steve Hawkins to small-town Illinois

https://www.quincy.edu/quincy-university-announces-new-mens-basketball-coach/

Quincy is where he cut his teeth as a coach. Not "life coming at him hard" just him going back to his roots. Good for him.

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

I never said he was a man of high character.  Clearly, he isn't.  However, I thought BG overreacted when they fired him.  They could have taken some remedial steps.  But the Zips are fortunate Huger is still at at the helm.

Generally how it works in sports is the more talented you, the more schools/fans are willing to look past things. He was only at BG for 1 year and they went 11-7 in MAC play. Not like he achieved enough for BG to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Also, the WAC is a disaster of a conference. It's pretty much NMSU, who has been a solid mid-major for a while, and a bunch of other really crappy teams. NMSU is pretty much a lock to make the tournament every year and they had success long before Jans got there. I doubt he would have had the same success at BG as the MAC is much more competitive.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Generally how it works in sports is the more talented you, the more schools/fans are willing to look past things. He was only at BG for 1 year and they went 11-7 in MAC play. Not like he achieved enough for BG to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Also, the WAC is a disaster of a conference. It's pretty much NMSU, who has been a solid mid-major for a while, and a bunch of other really crappy teams. NMSU is pretty much a lock to make the tournament every year and they had success long before Jans got there. I doubt he would have had the same success at BG as the MAC is much more competitive.

A 12 seed is a 12 seed regardless of the conference.  Toledo if they had won out would have likely been that with 4 losses.  NMS beat St. Mary's and Wash St in the pre-season I believe.  The WAC has become a stepping stone league, with Cal St Bakersfield and Grand Canyon moving from D-2 and now Tarleton St.  CSUB moved on to the Big West.  NMSU was a WAC member for...50 years?  They went down with the league, but the bb program still is respected and can recruit.  They might get a veteran coach in the declining years.  Is Larry Brown available??  🤣

7 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

A 12 seed is a 12 seed regardless of the conference.  Toledo if they had won out would have likely been that with 4 losses.  NMS beat St. Mary's and Wash St in the pre-season I believe.  The WAC has become a stepping stone league, with Cal St Bakersfield and Grand Canyon moving from D-2 and now Tarleton St.  CSUB moved on to the Big West.  NMSU was a WAC member for...50 years?  They went down with the league, but the bb program still is respected and can recruit.  They might get a veteran coach in the declining years.  Is Larry Brown available??  🤣

Yes, I didn't say NMSU wasn't a good mid-major program. They're just the only good mid-major in a extremely weak conference. It becomes easier to recruit at the mid-major level when you're pretty much a lock to make the tournament every year.

6 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Yes, I didn't say NMSU wasn't a good mid-major program. They're just the only good mid-major in a extremely weak conference. It becomes easier to recruit at the mid-major level when you're pretty much a lock to make the tournament every year.

Grand Canyon becoming more competitive every year, and they have the resources to win -- Bryce Drew wants to be as successful as his brother Scott.  He'll probably have to move up again -- didn't really have a chance at Vandy.  And GCU will likely move up to SOMEWHERE... is the Big Sky a promotion?  NMSU has little hope, or resources for promotion.

1 hour ago, Z.I.P. said:

Grand Canyon becoming more competitive every year, and they have the resources to win -- Bryce Drew wants to be as successful as his brother Scott.  He'll probably have to move up again -- didn't really have a chance at Vandy.  And GCU will likely move up to SOMEWHERE... is the Big Sky a promotion?  NMSU has little hope, or resources for promotion.

NMSU accepted an invite to Conference USA to backfill all the teams that bolted for the Sunbelt and AAC.

10 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

NMSU accepted an invite to Conference USA to backfill all the teams that bolted for the Sunbelt and AAC.

WOW!  I'm sure folks remember not so long ago when dreamers on this board imagined the Zips moving up to the rare air of Conference USA!  😄

On 3/17/2022 at 6:36 AM, clarkwgriswold said:

Payton Sparks in the transfer portal.  I think we could make room for him! He couldn't work out worse than our last Ball State transfer.

“So far I've heard from Pittsburgh, Virginia, Oklahoma, Indiana, Illinois, Cincinnati, Iowa State, Loyola Chicago, West Virginia, Arizona State and receiving serious interest from West Virginia, Iowa State, Loyola Chicago, Indiana so far.”

So...MAC can't afford this kid.

https://247sports.com/college/arizona-state/Article/Basketball-recruiting-Ball-State-Payton-Sparks-Pittsburgh-Virginia-Oklahoma-Indiana-Illinois-Cincinnati-Iowa-State-Loyola-Chicago-West-Virginia-Arizona-State-184974136/Amp/

5 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

“So far I've heard from Pittsburgh, Virginia, Oklahoma, Indiana, Illinois, Cincinnati, Iowa State, Loyola Chicago, West Virginia, Arizona State and receiving serious interest from West Virginia, Iowa State, Loyola Chicago, Indiana so far.”

So...MAC can't afford this kid.

https://247sports.com/college/arizona-state/Article/Basketball-recruiting-Ball-State-Payton-Sparks-Pittsburgh-Virginia-Oklahoma-Indiana-Illinois-Cincinnati-Iowa-State-Loyola-Chicago-West-Virginia-Arizona-State-184974136/Amp/

That;s what I expected.  Unfortunately, the mid-majors have become the developmental leagues for the top programs.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Owens out at Miami. First couple years showed promise, then as the team got older they got worse. They finished a distant 7th place, far behind the top 5 in the league. A team full of very old and experienced seniors should be much much better, and the future could only get worse.