MAC Men's Basketball 2021-2022

LoyalZIP

This game just guaranteed the MAC to be a 1 team entry into the NCAA tournament.  Ohio had a small chance at an at large bid with 4 losses if they lost in the MAC tourney (to Akron), but that is blown out of the water.  Ohio was ranked 54 in the RPI, and will fall with this loss.  However, Toledo was a surprise at 52.  No chance at an at large bid for the MAC now.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

You never know.  I think Groce is playing 3 dimensional chess and trying to drop down to the 7th or 8th seed to avoid Buffalo or Kent in the first round.

I'm thinking 3D chess with only pawns is the same as regular chess with only pawns. 'Game Over' may just take a little longer.

Edited by GoZips88

39 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Bummer, I thought she did a really nice job with MAC games

that job as Rhegi's sidekick couldn't have paid much more than a few hundred bucks per game.  It's a real loss.  But someone with her talent and personality was bound to move on to better things.  So much change lately.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, NWAkron said:

that job as Rhegi's sidekick couldn't have paid much more than a few hundred bucks per game.  It's a real loss.  But someone with her talent and personality was bound to move on to better things.  So much change lately.

You see former players and media personnel land announcing gigs all the time. It was nice having an official to breakdown the calls made and provide a different insight to the game that you just don't see elsewhere.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

You see former players and media personnel land announcing gigs all the time.

9 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I am curious to see who ends up in the seat.

First, best of luck Jacki!! Thank you for your contribution to Zips basketball.

I always thought Xeyrius Williams was cut out for this sort of thing. Very natural and comfortable behind the microphone and obviously would bring an intelligent perspective from a player's point of view. That's all I got.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

First, best of luck Jacki!! Thank you for your contribution to Zips basketball.

I always thought Xeyrius Williams was cut out for this sort of thing. Very natural and comfortable behind the microphone and obviously would bring an intelligent perspective from a player's point of view. That's all I got.

Williams is having a nice career in Greece playing for Aris basketball club and their arena holds 5,000.  I just hope they do not have a track in the middle of the stands.  Glad to see X is doing well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

KSUcks beat Balls by 11 last night - 93-82. 

It took 42 pts from Carry and a 17 pt triple double from Jacobs. 

Really hoping the cavernous Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse cools them off. They're incredibly beatable. 

Here's hoping they are peaking too early.  They've gone from 4-4 in the MAC with losses to CMU and NIU to 13-4.

18 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Here's hoping they are peaking too early.  They've gone from 4-4 in the MAC with losses to CMU and NIU to 13-4.

Since losing to NIU, they've gone 11-1. During that stretch, they've 38.87% 3PT%, and 47.55% overall FG%. They're season averages are 33.9% 3PT% and 44.4% overall FG%. 

In addition, 4 of those wins included atrocious performances by their opponents (note 3 of them were against Akron, Toledo, OU)...

Akron - 35.2 FG%, 16.7% 3PT%

EMU - 25.6% FG%, 12.5 3PT%

Toledo - 35.5% FG%, 33.3% 3PT%

Ohio - 23.1 FG%, 17.9 3PT%

Any off nights they've had, aside from the Buffalo game which resulted in a loss, came against the bottom half of the MAC. For whatever reason, they've caught their best opponents during their worst performances. I think Cleveland will neutralize KSUcks. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

2 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Since losing to NIU, they've gone 11-1. During that stretch, they've 38.87% 3PT%, and 47.55% overall FG%. They're season averages are 33.9% 3PT% and 44.4% overall FG%. 

In addition, 4 of those wins included atrocious performances by their opponents (note 3 of them were against Akron, Toledo, OU)...

Akron - 35.2 FG%, 16.7% 3PT%

EMU - 25.6% FG%, 12.5 3PT%

Toledo - 35.5% FG%, 33.3% 3PT%

Ohio - 23.1 FG%, 17.9 3PT%

Any off nights they've had, aside from the Buffalo game which resulted in a loss, came against the bottom half of the MAC. For whatever reason, they've caught their best opponents during their worst performances. I think Cleveland will neutralize KSUcks. 

From your mouth to the basketball gods' ears Let'sGoZips94!

• Thanks 1

Ran a bunch of scenarios and don't see a single one where the Zips are any higher than the fourth seed. Can't holds the direct tie breaker on us, OU beat Can't once so they hold a tiebreaker there and since Buffalo can't finish tied with us with an uneven number of games the best we can do is fourth and worst is fifth. We are locked into the 4/5 game. 

27 minutes ago, MDZip said:

Ran a bunch of scenarios and don't see a single one where the Zips are any higher than the fourth seed. Can't holds the direct tie breaker on us, OU beat Can't once so they hold a tiebreaker there and since Buffalo can't finish tied with us with an uneven number of games the best we can do is fourth and worst is fifth. We are locked into the 4/5 game. 

Right.  And watching  games today, Miami, EMU, and NIU kept it close for a half then collapsed. Not expecting any surprises rest of the way.  I think CMU and Miami are also set for Cleveland.

I don't believe Toledo can drop to the four but I feel like they are our worst matchup. So rooting for any of the other three to take the top seed. Don't really care who we draw in the 4/5 game. The worst we can finish is 12-8 and the five seed and the sixth seed is likely to be sub .500. 

• Like 1