Game 10- Western Michigan

clarkwgriswold

1 minute ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

If basketball games were 39 minutes 59 seconds long, and football games were 58 minutes 59 seconds long, I’d have had a hell of a Tuesday night. Instead…

This

1 minute ago, zippy5 said:

Really impressed with Gibson. Our line didn't give him much time and he shows a lot of poise in the pocket. Steps up into it when the usual inexperienced move is to spin back and out

Love that stat for sure. But I'd argue the line did a decent job in pass protection, Gibson just holds the ball too long. 

Maybe nobody's getting separation? You can't see the entire field on tv. so who knows. But our passing game has to be quicker or else Gibson is going to need life insurance.  

1 minute ago, scottditzen said:

But our passing game has to be quicker or else Gibson is going to need life insurance.  

If he doesn't get the ball out quicker he won't be able to buy life insurance.

1 minute ago, bigjim said:

When the receivers were open, he got it out quick.  When everyone was covered, he held the ball.  This is where the backs need to get out in the flat as the last option.

Oh yeah I could definitely see some designed plays like that. Drives the defense nuts and helps cover for a line that's, well, less than stellar. 

Also I liked how the tv guys noticed Gibson keeping his eyes downfield. This kid is has great poise and the toughness you want to see from your QB. The guys on the sideline looked inspired too. 

Caught this one on the radio but I hope to see some highlights in the AM. 

What the hell is going on with this team? They just put up 40 points for the first time since Morgan State in 2018 if my memory is serving me right. When was the last Zip kick return TD? Did you ever think that the first turnover we force in what feels like 8 years would be a DL pick 6? Just insanity. Weirdness always happens when the Zips go to Waldo, that is certain. 

I’m hoping at least a few guys in this offensive core stick around with the new coach, I would assume at this point everyone might transfer, but the prospect of a new coach getting 3 more years of Zach Gibson could make this job the slightest bit more attractive. He’s come a very long way as a 3rd year Freshman and he has played his tail off for the Zips this season. 

Feeney should have been gone lone before Arth. I think Arth could have saved himself if he had gotten rid of him last year, but that ship has sailed. Too bad. I haven’t seen the final TD yet, but I can’t imagine many Zips fans had much faith they could hold on there at the end, just when you get your hopes up…Eleby strikes. 

2-8 with 2 to go. Kent is going to come into Infocision with a goal of absolute annihilation. That’s how Lewis is. But I can see tonight that the group is still motivated to prove themselves, and I love that. Beating Kent with the year they’ve had compared to the year we’ve had would make it one of my all-time favorite wins over them. I definitely don’t see it happening as that would require at least 5-6 stops by the defense depending on how we move the ball. But I’ll save my thoughts on that one for a few days. 

What a wild run of games for Akron Zips Athletics. I can taste the wins for football and basketball. I’m ready. Go Zips! 

After the last two games against two very solid MAC teams, I am thinking that letting Arth go may have been a mistake.  Every week, the Zips play with the most freshman of any team.  They are starting to come around and Arth's vision of a long range rebuild is coming to fruition.  They found the QB Gibson (it took Arth much longer than it should have).  The RB's are beginning to play well.  The OL is coming together when Gray is not playing.  They have a couple of very good WR's.  On defense, the Line is awful and needs help from the transfer portal (I posted on this in the past), I am thinking of 3 transfers while the youth develop.  They need to go to a 4 man front since their 3 is not successful.  When Bubba gets back, he and Boateng will make a great pairing at LB.  The DB's are young, but are improving.  Get a couple from the transfer portal to help next year.  

The DL made a couple of big plays, like the pick 6.  However, they got run over for over 300 yards which is unheard of, and it should have  been more.  They are awful.

I am curious to see how the Zips play to finish the season.  If they are competitive, they are setting the stage for the future.  I hope Guthrie makes the right choice and the key players stay around.  Otherwise, there will be many more bad seasons and the attendance at the stadium will drop to nothing.  

Go Zips!  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, scottditzen said:

Love that stat for sure. But I'd argue the line did a decent job in pass protection, Gibson just holds the ball too long. 

Maybe nobody's getting separation? You can't see the entire field on tv. so who knows. But our passing game has to be quicker or else Gibson is going to need life insurance.  

Yes, you are exactly right.  Line played fairly well.  Gibson has to learn 2-3 seconds and if nothing is there....RUN!  Overall, Gibson played well, just tried to do too much at times.

52 minutes ago, GoZips86 said:

I'm really afraid that all of our good players (Gibson and Mumpfield come to mind) will leave for transfer portal now that a new "era" is coming (aka all new coaching staff).

That's about the only two that come to mind for me as well.

If half the team transferred, would it matter? Tonight was the first time I took time to watch the Zips play this year. Went back an forth between the Zips and the Miami game since Mrs. GP1, the luckiest woman in the world, wanted to watch her school win. There is a shocking lack of talent on the team. Not sure how they were able to stay in the game last night, but they did and still lost. Not sure how half of them are not easily replaceable.  My guess is they were highly motivated last night after getting their coach fired. Nobody wants to go down as a coach killer. That motivation will wear off quickly. Players will be talking openly about leaving the program over the next weeks, coaches will be spending a lot of time networking for another job and those left will be smart enough to know there is nobody really holding them accountable for bad play. 

• Like 1

You guys are absolutely crazy if you think OL played well.  Gibson was hit over 20 times in the game and we still cannot get the running game going.  Yes they are young and continue to improve but putting any blame on the QB is non sense.  Secondly, the second series when the OC put Irons into the game cost the team points.  We were driving and he put him in because of his pride.  He recruited Irons and wants him to shine so he can get credit for his development.  There is NO doubt that Gibson should be and should have been the starter all along.  That led to Arth being fired.  Just my opinion.

• Thanks 1