According to Bruce Feldman, Arth is done

exit322

On 11/5/2021 at 10:45 AM, dre22era said:

So you question my education in a edit hours after your original message. (you must have no life)

I respond back defending my education and now you respond back acting like a little Bish 

Oh poor you

I apparently have more of a life than you do...troll who lives on ZNO. 😂🤣 Like good lord brother, kettle meet pot! 🤣

I don't question your education Dre, I'm denying it's existence. 🤣

Oh I edited this post right after posting too, does that mean something magical? 🤣 Get a grip dude.

Edited by TheZipCat

8 hours ago, LZIp said:

Seeing multiple media folk on Twitter say firing Arth was premature, especially how the team has played the last 2 games. Pressures on, Guthrie.

How many of those people actually pay attention to Zips football in a meaningful way?  My guess is they put as much effort into it as I do, which isn't much. Another loss is another loss. Five point loss or fifty point loss doesn't matter at this point. Even if they win one more game, it doesn't matter. At the end of the year, this team is likely to be 2-10 after three seasons. Is that meaningful progress? No, it's terrible. Worse, it's laughable. The program is trash right now and Arth got it here. Firing him now or at the end of the season was irrelevant. If this is the quality of sports journalism around NE Ohio, I need to move back and get a job at the ABJ or Plain Dealer because the thought leaders have lost their minds and are doing a disservice to the people of NE Ohio.

The pressure on Guthrie?  From whom?  I hear the stadium is almost completely empty for games so I can only assume nobody cares enough to exercise any pressure on the AD. Zips fans are indifferent, which is third place for where you want your fans minds to be. First place is "happy" because people come to games. Second place is "mad" because people still care enough to be mad. Indifference is absolutely the worst place for a fan base to be.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GP1 said:

How many of those people actually pay attention to Zips football in a meaningful way?

Often, next to zero. Big upsets, midweek games, and coaching news will catch their eye. Nothing else. What were they saying in the Temple ass-kicking? Bryant atrocity? Ohio embarrassment? BG win? Miami and Buffalo blowouts? 

They see the results and come to a very quick and ill-informed conclusion. There are a few media guys who are "Akron guys" and they consider themselves Akron experts and their followers are made up of Ohio State Browns fans who look to them for their UA and MAC takes, when in reality they've seen a few snaps of a few games over decades.

The death of the newspaper is hitting mid-majors harder than anyone, and I get it. Their isn't enough interest in UA for the BJ or any other local outlet to properly report on and analyze Akron. In turn, you get blowhards on Twitter going "Man, they shoulda never let that guy go!" 

The local media was SALIVATING when Akron hired Arth. Quite hilarious. They then killed Akron for being such an embarrassment during the 0-12 season and called Akron football "invisible." Now Akron has two close should-have-been-wins after losing to Buffalo in embarrassing fashion, looking like a high school team. Now we're getting slapped in the face constantly with KEHRES!!!!!!! not because they know he will be a good fit at Akron, but because it's an easy name to suggest as it's the only one they know. That's also how a high school coach's name gets thrown around.

That game last night could have just as easily been 59-21 based on the talent gap alone. What did these media guys have to say about WMU beating Kent by 30+? None of them even know that ever happened. WMU is streaky, Akron tends to play hard. There's not much more you can say beyond that. Akron loses that game 9/10 times they play it. Same with the Ball State game and so on. 3-24 speaks for itself, of course they were getting a little better, it was damn near impossible not to. Vegas had the Zips being 27 points worse than WMU for a reason. The point still stands, it was time to move on.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Often, next to zero. Big upsets, midweek games, and coaching news will catch their eye. Nothing else. What were they saying in the Temple ass-kicking? Bryant atrocity? Ohio embarrassment? BG win? Miami and Buffalo blowouts? 

They see the results and come to a very quick and ill-informed conclusion. There are a few media guys who are "Akron guys" and they consider themselves Akron experts and their followers are made up of Ohio State Browns fans who look to them for their UA and MAC takes, when in reality they've seen a few snaps of a few games over decades.

The death of the newspaper is hitting mid-majors harder than anyone, and I get it. Their isn't enough interest in UA for the BJ or any other local outlet to properly report on and analyze Akron. In turn, you get blowhards on Twitter going "Man, they shoulda never let that guy go!" 

The local media was SALIVATING when Akron hired Arth. Quite hilarious. They then killed Akron for being such an embarrassment during the 0-12 season and called Akron football "invisible." Now Akron has two close should-have-been-wins after losing to Buffalo in embarrassing fashion, looking like a high school team. Now we're getting slapped in the face constantly with KEHRES!!!!!!! not because they know he will be a good fit at Akron, but because it's an easy name to suggest as it's the only one they know. That's also how a high school coach's name gets thrown around.

That game last night could have just as easily been 59-21 based on the talent gap alone. What did these media guys have to say about WMU beating Kent by 30+? None of them even know that ever happened. WMU is streaky, Akron tends to play hard. There's not much more you can say beyond that. Akron loses that game 9/10 times they play it. Same with the Ball State game and so on. 3-24 speaks for itself, of course they were getting a little better, it was damn near impossible not to. Vegas had the Zips being 27 points worse than WMU for a reason. The point still stands, it was time to move on.

tenor-132953432.gif

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GP1 said:

How many of those people actually pay attention to Zips football in a meaningful way?  My guess is they put as much effort into it as I do, which isn't much. Another loss is another loss. Five point loss or fifty point loss doesn't matter at this point. Even if they win one more game, it doesn't matter. At the end of the year, this team is likely to be 2-10 after three seasons. Is that meaningful progress? No, it's terrible. Worse, it's laughable. The program is trash right now and Arth got it here. Firing him now or at the end of the season was irrelevant. If this is the quality of sports journalism around NE Ohio, I need to move back and get a job at the ABJ or Plain Dealer because the thought leaders have lost their minds and are doing a disservice to the people of NE Ohio.

The pressure on Guthrie?  From whom?  I hear the stadium is almost completely empty for games so I can only assume nobody cares enough to exercise any pressure on the AD. Zips fans are indifferent, which is third place for where you want your fans minds to be. First place is "happy" because people come to games. Second place is "mad" because people still care enough to be mad. Indifference is absolutely the worst place for a fan base to be.

tenor-79271615.gif

If any football coach for a team they actually cared about went 3-24 regardless if it's high school, college, or pro they would be calling for their head. They want to give Arth more time because they don't care about losing. In fact they expect it. It's that kind of loser mentality that keeps programs down.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

If any football coach for a team they actually cared about went 3-24 regardless if it's high school, college, or pro they would be calling for their head. They want to give Arth more time because they don't care about losing. In fact they expect it. It's that kind of loser mentality that keeps programs down.

Love this.

1 hour ago, LoyalZIP said:

and Love This!!

16 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

They want to give Arth more time because they don't care about losing.

Most don't realize we have actually done Arth a favor. Heck, even Arth knows we have done him a favor at this point. Now Tom can move on with his life and get a nice QB coaching job at a P5 school or maybe an assistant in the NFL.

Three Money Games per year

Pluto is  a moron

"They're looking at hiring a couple of fundraisers. They're looking at playing three money games a year." Akron currently plays two such games against powerhouses for a big payout, but next season will play three. They'll face Michigan State, Tennessee and Liberty.

Liberty is a pay day game???  Not.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, K-Roo said:

Pluto is  a moron

"They're looking at hiring a couple of fundraisers. They're looking at playing three money games a year." Akron currently plays two such games against powerhouses for a big payout, but next season will play three. They'll face Michigan State, Tennessee and Liberty.

I believe it is actually. I remember reading about them paying other MAC schools (maybe Buffalo) to come there in the past, thought it obviously isn’t really comparing to the other ones.

19 minutes ago, K-Roo said:

Pluto is  a moron

The link is worth the read because it takes you to a study UofA did on athletics. Some good ideas there and some not so good ides.

Let's put this to bed. Pluto is a moron. I can't stand the guy and I know this is going to make this reply go on more than I intend. Unfortunately, Pluto has been a thought leader in NE Ohio for decades now and has helped created some of the most miserable fans in the world.  Of course someone can win at Akron!!!! How do I know that?  Akron has won. We have won a MAC Championship, been to another MACC game and won a bowl game. I think Faust had a season that is still the highest winning percentage in the D1 era. It is absolutely possible to win at Akron. This whole notion that "if Arth cannot win then who can" is presenting the public with the idea that Akron can't win or worse yet has never won and that is just factually inaccurate.  What I would really like to ask Pluto, which would expose the reality of his stupidity, is what about Arth's resume made him think he was a good hire to begin with. Played at St. I?....so what, a lot of people have.  Went to JC?....so what, it's a D3 school.  Played with Manning at Indy?....so what, he isn't Manning...God knows I wish he was.  Coached at JC?....so what, it's a D3 school.  Coached at UTC?.....so what, it's an irrelevant FCS program he made worse after going 9-13 in two seasons. Someone help me here. How was this guy ever going to create success at Akron? Don't blame Arth for taking a better job than he had. He is a smart guy who made a smart choice and will be making almost $700k over the next two years for doing nothing if he wants. Our previous AD was an absolute moron.

The UofA study is interesting in that some of what I have said is included in it. I love the part about K-12 activities on campus and using those activities to drive people to sporting events. It needs to be more bold though. It can't always be sporting events driving people to activities on campus. If "We Rise Together" is more than just a statement on fundraising letters, everything has to work together. My concern is too much of it does not look towards the future of college athletics, specifically football, and tries to see a different path forward not just for the University, but he MAC and G5 schools. It also focuses on revenue generation. The endless pursuit of more an more money is destroying G5 athletics. For example, another buy game is just more of the same bad thinking that got us all here in the first place.  The real problem is they lay out a solution that is ultimately going to lead the program to early season failure that will result in never gaining any momentum for winning and will have another study trying to figure out in 10 years why this study didn't work. 

The debt service was something I learned. However, I think if they eliminated the debt tomorrow, I'm not certain much would change. 

The fact that out of state athletes on scholarship get charged out of state tuition rates to the Athletic Department is moronic and should change. That was a good point it makes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GP1 said:

The fact that out of state athletes on scholarship get charged out of state tuition rates to the Athletic Department is moronic and should change. That was a good point it makes. 

This is proof that the so-called cost of athletics for UA is a total farce. Nothing more than clever accounting and a shell game. The actual costs of athletics is much less than what appears on the balance sheet.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

This is proof that the so-called cost of athletics for UA is a total farce. Nothing more than clever accounting and a shell game. The actual costs of athletics is much less than what appears on the balance sheet.

Out of likes, but I agree. It’s a fake cost.

Edited by LZIp

Northern Illinois, who hired their head coach at the same time as Akron and had a worse record than Akron last year, is 7-3 (5-1 MAC) after defeating Ball State. They’re in the driver’s seat for the West and control their own destiny. They have 80+ freshman. 

Arth was 3-24. Wonder how many local media folks will talk about this? Just ask Dustin Fox, he thinks Arth was just turning the corner. Loser. 

• Like 2

On 11/7/2021 at 6:08 PM, clarkwgriswold said:

Please, for the sake of everyone on ZipsNation, to not look at the Urban Dictionary definition.  I have and I am emotionally scarred.

Yeah that's not quite the same definition that I was returning to...

9 hours ago, K-Roo said:

Pluto is  a moron

Liberty is paying us something like 1.3 million to go and play them without a return game. That is a money game since it wasn't a home and home agreement.

I agree the costs are really exaggerated in college athletics. Namely for scholarship and room and board. The real cost is how much do we spend feeding the players and how much they cost us in utilities. I suppose cost for some specially allocated GA tutors as well. The class rooms and dorms are already there so no cost there.

It still costs a lot of money to feed 250+ scholarship athletes and I'm sure they combined cost the university thousands in utilities, but the marginal cost of having them on campus is much less than what's quoted. 

Edit: what we spend on coaches, athletic facilities, and travel are very much real.

Edited by kreed5120

Well, maybe Pluto was correct in saying that a football program needs a general.  Unfortunately, he failed to acknowledge Akron had hired a McClellan, Westmoreland or a Custer.

By the way, I don't "hate" Pluto.  He has written some of my favorite sports books.  I'm not though always a fan of his on some NEO sports issues.