New Head Coach Search - 2021 Edition

GoZips86

I have discussed this name before, I believe I can help in the media to get it done. I had heard rumors about Arth being let go, and have been clear that the best name for the job in my opinion is Matt Brock, assistant at Mississippi State. 

Up until this year, has been a leader nationally everywhere he has been as a Special Teams Coordinator. He was a special teams coordinator at BG and is what jump started his career. Apparently he is the right hand man to Zach Arnett, and Mississippi State has been dang good on defense this year, so good that Arnett is getting mentioned for big time DC and head coaching jobs. If not At Akron, he is destined to be a head coach in the near future. Might as well be here. Young, fiery, hard working, up and comer that can recruit, and has experience recruiting locally and nationally. 

I don’t like the idea of hiring another FCS head coach like Arth. Someone with P5 experience can get us back and going to bowl games every year. I posted this a while ago, but would love some help in pushing his name. Thank you, and as always Go Zips!

27C9FD32-CC5B-4C06-8465-F4F27A1361B2.png

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GoZips86 said:

I've seen his name posted around here, and I must say I'm interested! 

If there is someone better I want to know, to me, I want to do what is best for Akron! I will be making some calls today to promote him, so if you’re on the side that I am, please feel free to do the same. The more we’re able to do so, the more publicity he gets and the higher chance we get him. 

I agreed the team needed a rebuild after Milwe got done with it. Hindsight is 20/20 but cleaning house and playing underclassmen during the rebuild was a baaaad idea in a school trying to be relevant and build a fan base in football country. Even a strong fan base would be challenged during a ground-up rebuild.

A bigger mistake was  ignoring the transfer pool during the rebuild. Cutting Milwe’s players while replacing them with better would have been a great idea. Win some games, show some improvement, and the fan base would have followed.

15 minutes ago, morris buttermaker said:

Does Matt Brock leave MSU for $60,000  more than he is making...

Good question. I can try to ask around about that. At his age though, I would guess he would take an opportunity to be an FBS head coach though. 

I think from a coaching perspective, you can win here. That’s what attracts a lot of coaches. We weren’t blown out much this year. We’re not far away from being able to turn this thing around. 

The list of names mentioned in the other coaching thread (apologies if I missed one or two) are :

Matt Brock
Doug Belk
Todd Stroud
Bob Stoops
Levar Woods
Dino Babers
Joe Moorhead

I know that there are good reasons one or more of them would not be a suitable head coach, but those seven names are probably a good place to start making calls.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aaron said:

The list of names mentioned in the other coaching thread (apologies if I missed one or two) are :

Matt Brock
Doug Belk
Todd Stroud
Bob Stoops
Levar Woods
Dino Babers
Joe Moorhead

I know that there are good reasons one or more of them would not be a suitable head coach, but those seven names are probably a good place to start making calls.

I know Bob Stoops isn't the popular choice on here. And I'm not advocating. But I will say that would get the attention of people, including recruits, I think.

But I know, I know, wrong choice. I heard it before lol. 

20 minutes ago, ZipsSince04 said:

We weren’t blown out much this year. We’re not far away from being able to turn this thing around. 

60-10

45-24

59-7

34-17

34-21

45-10

Not blown out?  what universe have you been in?

I will agree that there is alot of young talent on the roster.  Arth is leaving more talent than he inherited, unless there is a mass exodus to the transfer portal.  Keep the current players,  add 5 transfer portal players to both the offense and defense, and we can win next year.  

13 minutes ago, GoZips86 said:

I know Bob Stoops isn't the popular choice on here. And I'm not advocating. But I will say that would get the attention of people, including recruits, I think.

But I know, I know, wrong choice. I heard it before lol. 

Stoops is one of my top choices on that list because of the attention of the name and his knowledge of how to build a winning culture.  I would want him on a short-term contract, with the understanding of him establishing a football culture, bringing in his own staff (paid appropriately!), and promoting one of his guys to HC at the end of a 5 yr contract.

He's not a long-term Akron coach, but I think he can be the right guy to turn around the culture, get short term attention, and set the program up for future success.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Stoops is one of my top choices on that list because of the attention of the name and his knowledge of how to build a winning culture.  I would want him on a short-term contract, with the understanding of him establishing a football culture, bringing in his own staff (paid appropriately!), and promoting one of his guys to HC at the end of a 5 yr contract.

He's not a long-term Akron coach, but I think he can be the right guy to turn around the culture, get short term attention, and set the program up for future success.

Spot on to my thinking!! Help us win, set us up, and bring us Akron's version of Lincoln Riley to take over. 

If you want young, inexpensive, and up and coming, Zac Alley, TB's DC is worth a look. He was special teams coordinator of the year at Boise State, has put together an impressive defense in year one at ULM, and spent 6 years learning from Brent Venerables at Clemson.

That being said, I bet TB tells him this is not a place he wants to go.

Tom Arth is a good person who was in way, way over his head. Guthrie did him a favor. Arth and all his coaches knew they weren't succeeding and were not capable of success. The coaches are the first to know there is a problem, but they are wired to try to the very end. Now they can all go to positions where they can be successful and happy. I wish them all the best.

A good manager recognizes the lack of talent and makes changes. He does not dwell on excuses. He does not hope the program leader can improve when there is no evidence over three years that the basic leadership skills are there. Guthrie is a good manager and he acted. He also has a new coach in mind. I love Tim Tyrell, but he is not on Guthrie's radar. Charles is thinking bigger. He also wants someone with significant D1 experience. This change is good news for all Zips. The bleeding will stop. We can, and should, win big. The process has started.

Welcome KangarooJake. This site is so important to Zip fans. Your opinion is welcome and don't be afraid to be different. I'm glad you are here. Thanks to the mods who made this site a reality. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, bigjim said:

60-10

45-24

59-7

34-17

34-21

45-10

Not blown out?  what universe have you been in?

I will agree that there is alot of young talent on the roster.  Arth is leaving more talent than he inherited, unless there is a mass exodus to the transfer portal.  Keep the current players,  add 5 transfer portal players to both the offense and defense, and we can win next year.  

I mean, I think it's unfair to count Ohio state, and Auburn. Unless you expect us to compete with those teams?

2 of the other scores you listed are two touchdown games. I don't consider two touchdowns a blowout, a play here or there changes that significantly. We beat BG, and are a play away from beating Ball State, who isn't a bad team. My point was we aren't far off from being a good team. Do you disagree?

4 minutes ago, ZipsSince04 said:

I mean, I think it's unfair to count Ohio state, and Auburn. Unless you expect us to compete with those teams?

2 of the other scores you listed are two touchdown games. I don't consider two touchdowns a blowout, a play here or there changes that significantly. We beat BG, and are a play away from beating Ball State, who isn't a bad team. My point was we aren't far off from being a good team. Do you disagree?

Maybe, but I think there was over a 90% chance they were going to lose the next 3 games and likely by quite a lot.  The Ball State game had 1 1/2 quarters of quality football and it was fun to watch.  I never saw that type of play during the ICoach years.  But why did it take to the last quarter of the 9th game of his 3rd season (yes, last year doesn't completely count) to get that type of quality play where they are driving and scoring and making 2 point conversions?  I don't know the answer.  And then Gibson made that fumble.  There was 1 minute 30 seconds left and Ball State had 2 time outs and down by 2.  I'm thinking the odds were 50/50 the Zips were still going to lose.  You can't run a railroad that way...hopes and prayers.  Life isn't always fair.