New Head Coach Search - 2021 Edition

GoZips86

33 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

Tom Arth is a good person who was in way, way over his head. Guthrie did him a favor. Arth and all his coaches knew they weren't succeeding and were not capable of success. The coaches are the first to know there is a problem, but they are wired to try to the very end. Now they can all go to positions where they can be successful and happy. I wish them all the best.

A good manager recognizes the lack of talent and makes changes. He does not dwell on excuses. He does not hope the program leader can improve when there is no evidence over three years that the basic leadership skills are there. Guthrie is a good manager and he acted. He also has a new coach in mind. I love Tim Tyrell, but he is not on Guthrie's radar. Charles is thinking bigger. He also wants someone with significant D1 experience. This change is good news for all Zips. The bleeding will stop. We can, and should, win big. The process has started.

Welcome KangarooJake. This site is so important to Zip fans. Your opinion is welcome and don't be afraid to be different. I'm glad you are here. Thanks to the mods who made this site a reality. 

@KangarooJake (He'd probably miss this without the @ in front of his username.)  

3 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Maybe, but I think there was over a 90% chance they were going to lose the next 3 games and likely by quite a lot.  The Ball State game had 1 1/2 quarters of quality football and it was fun to watch.  I never saw that type of play during the ICoach years.  But why did it take to the last quarter of the 9th game of his 3rd season (yes, last year doesn't completely count) to get that type of quality play where they are driving and scoring and making 2 point conversions?  I don't know the answer.  And then Gibson made that fumble.  There was 1 minute 30 seconds left and Ball State had 2 time outs and down by 2.  I'm thinking the odds were 50/50 the Zips were still going to lose.  You can't run a railroad that way...hopes and prayers.  Life isn't always fair.

Dude I'm not defending Arth. I think it was time for him to be let go, and I am actively promoting Matt Brock as his replacement. Again, my point is we aren't absolutely abysmal with no chance to ever win games again. If we can get a few things to go our way, and a head man to ensure that happens, we can go to bowl games on a rather consistent basis. This is based on the fact that we didn't get throttled in every single game this season and we have a decent roster.

13 minutes ago, gozips19 said:

Thoughts on Doc Holliday? 

He's 64 - if we're hiring someone in their 60s, see the post on Bob Stoops (age 61) above. 

If he will come on with a short term contract, improve culture, and put a succession plan in place, I'm good with that.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ZipsSince04 said:

Dude I'm not defending Arth. I think it was time for him to be let go, and I am actively promoting Matt Brock as his replacement. Again, my point is we aren't absolutely abysmal with no chance to ever win games again. If we can get a few things to go our way, and a head man to ensure that happens, we can go to bowl games on a rather consistent basis. This is based on the fact that we didn't get throttled in every single game this season and we have a decent roster.

i understand what you are saying.  and as I mentioned there was some big improvement.  Arth was nothing like ICoach.  

John Hunter, RB Coach, Wake Forest. Midwest roots. MAC roots. With winning programs at places that don't normally win. Experience coaching at urban schools. 

Stop trying to turn Akron into Notre Dame. Stop hiring D3 coaches. 

Start by hiring the right guy for AKRON. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

Here's another name: Gary Patterson. TCU was short-sighted in this one.

Do you think that Patterson's authoritarian style would work ok with players and administration at Akron?  Would Guthrie cede him the control to do what it takes to succeed?

If it could work, he seems to know football better than almost anyone.

4 minutes ago, ZipsSince04 said:

I mean, I think it's unfair to count Ohio state, and Auburn. Unless you expect us to compete with those teams?

2 of the other scores you listed are two touchdown games. I don't consider two touchdowns a blowout, a play here or there changes that significantly. We beat BG, and are a play away from beating Ball State, who isn't a bad team. My point was we aren't far off from being a good team. Do you disagree?

Thank you for your very kind response (not being cynical_).  Part of me agrees with you, and part of me does not.  I do think we need to get the program to be competitive with OSU and Auburn.  As I got home and rewatched the game, the announcers kept talking about all of the seniors with Ball State.  We have basically none, except the kicker who made a terrible penalty near the end of the game, and he is here 6 years I believe.  So, we were at a major disadvantage.  As I have stated many times, Arth was dealt a very bad hand with little to no talent returning.  HIs strategy was to grow through recruits which I am guessing was an agreement between him and the prior AD.  I truly believe he did a much better recruiting job than Bowden, but he did not use the portal, which was his downfall.  With his late start his first year, and the Covid year, he was behind the 8 ball.  I truly think that we have some good young players on the roster.  I would have given him one more year even though I have been very critical of him at times.  However, it seems like Guthrie is a very arrogant and controlling AD who wants his people involved.  It is like the NFL, when a GM and coach are replaced, many on the roster are gone.  He is trying to make his mark, and I hope he does, but I have little faith in that person.  With the youth and experience, if the next coach does not win 6 games in his first year, I would can Guthrie and send his useless @$$ packing.  

Assuming we retain the current players (big assumption), we should be good at QB (Gibson, Jankowski), RB (norells, williams), WR, and I believe that the entire FR offensive line will grow.  Need to add some transfers.  On Defense, the line needs help, the LB's will be fine with Bubbas return, and the DB's are maturing.  Again, get some transfers on the DL and DB's.  

Go Zips!  I hope for the best, but with Guthrie, I see nothing but bad times ahead.

2 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Do you think that Patterson's authoritarian style would work ok with players and administration at Akron?  Would Guthrie cede him the control to do what it takes to succeed?

If it could work, he seems to know football better than almost anyone.

I think so. Kids can take the authoritarian style if they know the coach is credible and cares about them.

Akron needs a coach who will not accept losing and inferior work ethic. Patterson strikes me as that kind of guy.

4 minutes ago, bigjim said:

Thank you for your very kind response (not being cynical_).  Part of me agrees with you, and part of me does not.  I do think we need to get the program to be competitive with OSU and Auburn.  As I got home and rewatched the game, the announcers kept talking about all of the seniors with Ball State.  We have basically none, except the kicker who made a terrible penalty near the end of the game, and he is here 6 years I believe.  So, we were at a major disadvantage.  As I have stated many times, Arth was dealt a very bad hand with little to no talent returning.  HIs strategy was to grow through recruits which I am guessing was an agreement between him and the prior AD.  I truly believe he did a much better recruiting job than Bowden, but he did not use the portal, which was his downfall.  With his late start his first year, and the Covid year, he was behind the 8 ball.  I truly think that we have some good young players on the roster.  I would have given him one more year even though I have been very critical of him at times.  However, it seems like Guthrie is a very arrogant and controlling AD who wants his people involved.  It is like the NFL, when a GM and coach are replaced, many on the roster are gone.  He is trying to make his mark, and I hope he does, but I have little faith in that person.  With the youth and experience, if the next coach does not win 6 games in his first year, I would can Guthrie and send his useless @$$ packing.  

Assuming we retain the current players (big assumption), we should be good at QB (Gibson, Jankowski), RB (norells, williams), WR, and I believe that the entire FR offensive line will grow.  Need to add some transfers.  On Defense, the line needs help, the LB's will be fine with Bubbas return, and the DB's are maturing.  Again, get some transfers on the DL and DB's.  

Go Zips!  I hope for the best, but with Guthrie, I see nothing but bad times ahead.

Thank you for sharing your insights, this is a great post! May I ask what has influenced your view of Guthrie so strongly thus far? He has certainly made his presence known by bringing in some senior staff. 

Also, I see Bubba hitting the portal quickly. Why would he play for a 3rd HC at Akron? I have zero doubt that he could go anywhere in the country and while he may not play everywhere, he can contribute to a position room with his amazing attitude and work ethic. I'd love to see him stick around, but do not see it.

I agree Bubba is gone. He’s an asset to the program without a doubt (and a great story), but I’ve always looked at him as a Joe Schoebert type of player. Stuffs the stats by making downfield tackles, but hasn’t provided much in terms of impact plays like TFLs, sacks, forced fumbles, etc…at least in recent memory.

2 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I agree Bubba is gone. He’s an asset to the program without a doubt (and a great story), but I’ve always looked at him as a Joe Schoebert type of player. Stuffs the stats by making downfield tackles, but hasn’t provided much in terms of impact plays like TFLs, sacks, forced fumbles, etc…at least in recent memory.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Bubba stays.  He has a good family support system here & he just loves playing.

40 minutes ago, Aaron said:

He's 64 - if we're hiring someone in their 60s, see the post on Bob Stoops (age 61) above. 

If he will come on with a short term contract, improve culture, and put a succession plan in place, I'm good with that.  

Bob Stoops has more change laying around in his sofa then Akron could pay him and even if he wants to coach again, he’s not coming here, particularly for a short term.

32 minutes ago, bigjim said:

Depending on the new hire, I can see 3 of the 4 QBs leaving, but two for sure. One of the two true freshmen (eligibility wise) might stay if DJ or Zach leave.

Bubba is probably 50/50. Would suck for him to have to start again under new coach but also probably wants to go out on a competitive team, particularly if he can graduate after this semester.

14 minutes ago, GoZips86 said:

His XFL salary was on par with what Akron could likely give him, no? 

I have no idea what his XFL salary was but he didn’t take it for the money. He would only come to Akron because he needs money. He doesn’t.

10 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

So many people who either very casually or don’t watch any Akron football have been throwing this name around at me since this morning, but I don’t see it. I understand the guy could very well be a damn good head coach at this level some day, but since moving on from D3, is his resume what we’re looking for? Toledo is not good right now. 

That’s a popular name in the northeast Ohio media circles. Arth was too, to a lesser extent. People like Sam recognize a flashy NeO name like that and say BINGO! In reality, people who follow this program and conference on a daily basis are far more skeptical. Akron could very well end up hiring Kehres and he’s amazing. Then I’d happily, very happily, admit to being wrong. But I don’t see it, not yet. 

• Like 2

I don't want the following...

1. Recruiting Coordinator for a school that recruits itself

2. Non-DI college coach

3. Anyone Peyton Manning endorses

I want to be a stepping stone for the next coach, because right now we are hardly that. Coaches leaving Akron are going to lateral schools/positions because of their lack of success at Akron. I want to be paying attention to a P5 school in 5 years because our coach was hired AWAY from Akron after having head-turning success here. If I'm Guthrie, that's my pitch. 

Come to Akron, give us 3-4 years of high-level G5 success, and go collect a massive payday from a P5 school. Help me, help you, help me, help you.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Zipped Up said:

Depending on the new hire, I can see 3 of the 4 QBs leaving, but two for sure. One of the two true freshmen (eligibility wise) might stay if DJ or Zach leave.

Bubba is probably 50/50. Would suck for him to have to start again under new coach but also probably wants to go out on a competitive team, particularly if he can graduate after this semester.

Bubba already graduated