New Head Coach Search - 2021 Edition

GoZips86

I wouldn't have wanted Kehres two years ago for the same reason I wouldn't want Tyrell now. The jump to FBS from HS is too much I think. Kehres has been at a MAC program for two years now and has seemed to do fine, whether his performance merits a HC gig I'm not sure of, but he's recruited and coached at a good MAC school for two years now and knows what it takes. I wouldn't hate it. He clearly knows Xs and Os

• Like 1

Might’ve already been said before, but I think we let Arth go too quickly. Let’s look at the variables in place.

First year - 0 wins

Second year - 1 win

Third year - 2 so far, probably could be around 3 maybe 4

Do we have the money to buyout a coach and look for someone else like this? Genuine question. Most Akron fans, let’s be honest, know not to get our hopes up for football every year. I think if Arth would’ve gotten 3-4 wins the next couple years, then yes, maybe look for a new coach. 

I get the move though, I’m happy about it in a sense that the Univ. feels we need to obviously do better. 

As far as head coaches go, I think Saban still has family in Ohio ;) 

38 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

Luke Getsy would be my #1, not sure we could get him or if he would even be interested

Why is he your # 1? --- And this is not an arrogant question to question your choice, I'm honestly asking. I don't really know much about him, so I'm curious to hear from a Zips fan as opposed to looking at a resume on Wikipedia! 😂

9 minutes ago, GoZips86 said:

Why is he your # 1? --- And this is not an arrogant question to question your choice, I'm honestly asking. I don't really know much about him, so I'm curious to hear from a Zips fan as opposed to looking at a resume on Wikipedia! 😂

I feel like he is vested as a Akron QB & Alumni, he has been an OC in the SEC, WR & QB coach in the NFL.  I think he made $600,000 as OC at Mississippi State and we may not be able to afford him but my feeling is he has some great football knowledge and would hope he would want to be apart of saving the football program

just my opinion

8 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

I feel like he is vested as a Akron QB & Alumni, he has been an OC in the SEC, WR & QB coach in the NFL.  I think he made $600,000 as OC at Mississippi State and we may not be able to afford him but my feeling is he has some great football knowledge and would hope he would want to be apart of saving the football program

just my opinion

Awesome! That could be an exciting option. Thanks for the response!

Finally Akron doing this search the right way. Akron was too late last time in the search starting in late Dec and ended up with a bad hire of Arth. As for names is UC bearcats defense coordinator Mike Tressel. He could lean on his uncle Jim’s connections in the college football world to build a great staff. If not, I would go with another Bowden type coach with division 1  experience like that TCU coach that got let go. You can get a good hc from d1 that is hungry to get back in top d1 programs radar. Heck, I would love to steal Rich Rod oc away from Terry Bowden  to bring him to Akron! 

The first thing I would do with a candidate is put him in a room with 2 or 3 of the most noncommunicative kids on the team and watch how he interacts with the kids.  If he can't communicate with kids he won't be able to recruit or motivate them.  You need a guy who can sit in a kid's living room with the kid and his mom and convince them the kid should come to Akron, Ohio

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zipped Up said:

Depending on the new hire, I can see 3 of the 4 QBs leaving, but two for sure. One of the two true freshmen (eligibility wise) might stay if DJ or Zach leave.

Unfortunately, I agree with your assessment.  That is too bad, I see a lot of hope with Gibson and Jankowski.  So, the several year rebuild will begin again.

5 hours ago, NWAkron said:

i understand what you are saying.  and as I mentioned there was some big improvement.  Arth was nothing like ICoach.  

In some ways they were not alike (e,g., one had an abrasive personality while the other said "you know" enough that he might as well have had an abrasive personality).

In other ways they were alike (e.g. an abysmal win/LOSS performance.

4 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I don't want the following...

1. Recruiting Coordinator for a school that recruits itself

2. Non-DI college coach

3. Anyone Peyton Manning endorses

I want to be a stepping stone for the next coach, because right now we are hardly that. Coaches leaving Akron are going to lateral schools/positions because of their lack of success at Akron. I want to be paying attention to a P5 school in 5 years because our coach was hired AWAY from Akron after having head-turning success here. If I'm Guthrie, that's my pitch. 

Come to Akron, give us 3-4 years of high-level G5 success, and go collect a massive payday from a P5 school. Help me, help you, help me, help you.

That’s a start. You have to build the culture up at some point. I have to admit, Sean Lewis is doing that decently at Kent State. I could see him moving on to a P5 school here shortly. 

If I was a legit, hot/ up and coming coaching prospect, Akron is the last place I would go. If you are any good, there will be better opportunities....imo only a guy who who doubts his abilities would be willing to take the short term cash (and not that much) that comes with this position.   Unfortunately I do not have a lot of faith that things get better here (obviously).

5 minutes ago, morris buttermaker said:

If I was a legit, hot/ up and coming coaching prospect, Akron is the last place I would go. If you are any good, there will be better opportunities....imo only a guy who who doubts his abilities would be willing to take the short term cash (and not that much) that comes with this position.   Unfortunately I do not have a lot of faith that things get better here (obviously).

PCCC got a young up and comer to come to Ravenna!  LOL.

36 minutes ago, KangarooJake said:

Bowling Green hired a high school coach Mike Jinks. They went from best to worst in the MAC in literally a season 

Do you really think a new AD’s 1st hire for a D1 football program is going to be a high school football coach.  I would think that is career suicide

Especially a high school coach with no D1 coaching experience 

Edited by 94zipgrad