New Head Coach Search - 2021 Edition

GoZips86

5 minutes ago, Football grandma said:

You'll never soar with the eagles if you're content to walk with the turkeys. A coach creates a culture that has the team wanting to soar with the eagles. A little Class A school (less than 1000 K-12) in PA has won multiple state championships. Why? Not because it always has the best players in the conference, but because the coaches tell the turkeys they can soar with hard work, discipline, and unity.

If you're talking about Southern Columbia then maybe you're onto something. They are good at recruiting those turkeys, maybe they can recruit some talent here

On 11/8/2021 at 11:03 AM, Gozips7 said:

Jim Fleming former Akron DC current HC at Rhode Island would be a great HC 

No thanks. I watched his D too many times when he was here with JD. The offense carried those teams. His call in the Motor City Bowl probably cost them a chance a t a comeback win against Memphis. Called a run blitz when they had Memphis at what its own 2 yard line with one of the best RBs in the country. Broke off a huge run that put the game out.

Lets try either an assistant from a successful D1 or a high profile coach from FCS(that might be hard) or DII. 

One name I find very interesting is Mike Tressel, current defensive coordinator at Cincinnati, prior to that he was on the defensive staff at Michigan State.

His current boss, Luke Fickell as well as his uncle Jim Tressel have certainly shown him the ropes in Ohio recruiting 

Anyone have any thoughts on him? Is his name one worth being promoted?

Edited by GJGood
  • Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 9:12 AM, GJGood said:

One name I find very interesting is Mike Tressel, current defensive coordinator at Cincinnati, prior to that he was on the defensive staff at Michigan State.

His current boss, Luke Fickell as well as his uncle Jim Tressel have certainly shown him the ropes in Ohio recruiting 

I’ve mention that name before in a previous post. Would like to bring him on but not sure what UC is paying him right now. Has Ohio roots but could be looking at bigger d1 schools since UC is a top 6 contender right now. Would love seeing a Tressel as a hc here at Akron even if it’s a stepping stone job. 

I would really like to see administration interview Todd Stroud.  He was on Bowden’s staff and did an amazing job developing players and recruiting. His contacts all over the country make him a valuable asset using the transfer portal.  He coached several All Mac players during his tenure and defensively he and Amato statistically did a great job.  He knows the University and understands what it takes to win at Akron.  They would be remiss not to at least interview him and pick his brain for information.   Just my two cents. 

1 hour ago, akrzips2012 said:

I’ve mention that name before in a previous post. Would like to bring him on but not sure what UC is paying him right now. Has Ohio roots but could be looking at bigger d1 schools since UC is a top 6 contender right now. Would love seeing a Tressel as a hc here at Akron even if it’s a stepping stone job. 

Tressel's salary in 2020 was $667,385, the same he made as Dantonio's highest-paid assistant while serving as defensive coordinator in 2019.

44 minutes ago, Zips Win! said:

So while checking to see if Getsy has any interest would be ideal, how about a 50 ish year old who had a head coaching shot at a P5 school that didn't quite pan out who might be available?

I would guess guys on the UC staff are waiting for a big payday if Fickell goes elsewhere.

Who do you have in mind?

On 11/10/2021 at 9:12 AM, GJGood said:

If his name was Joe Smith, would you be interested?

This just in. The Zips are going hard after one of the Mannings to be the next coach...... Cooper Manning. 

Edited by GP1
  • Haha 1

So new article today with an update to Zips coaching search. It says that Akron doesn’t want to screw this up again with a div 3 hc or hs coach. They are looking to go big or go home approach with some big div 1 schools on this list with the exception of Nfl qb coach Charlie Frye. Like I said before, need a coach with div 1 experience that can bring in a great staff!! https://247sports.com/Article/Akron-coaching-search-Dolphins-assistant-Power-Five-coordinators-top-Zips-reported-list-175207910/Amp/

Thoughts on these coaches: 

Purdue DC Brad Lambert, Arkansas DC Barry Odom, Ohio State assistant head coach Tony Alford, William & Mary coach Mike London, Ohio State OC Kevin Wilson, Cincinnati DC Mike Tressel and Dolphins assistant Charlie Frye are among the names.”

On 11/13/2021 at 4:38 PM, akrzips2012 said:

So new article today with an update to Zips coaching search. It says that Akron doesn’t want to screw this up again with a div 3 hc or hs coach. They are looking to go big or go home approach with some big div 1 schools on this list with the exception of Nfl qb coach Charlie Frye. Like I said before, need a coach with div 1 experience that can bring in a great staff!! https://247sports.com/Article/Akron-coaching-search-Dolphins-assistant-Power-Five-coordinators-top-Zips-reported-list-175207910/Amp/

Thoughts on these coaches: 

Purdue DC Brad Lambert, Arkansas DC Barry Odom, Ohio State assistant head coach Tony Alford, William & Mary coach Mike London, Ohio State OC Kevin Wilson, Cincinnati DC Mike Tressel and Dolphins assistant Charlie Frye are among the names.”

I don't want Frye hired because he has a "connection" to Akron or Tressel to get an edge because of his last name.   

13 hours ago, exit322 said:

Can add Eddie George to the list?

You have to be a subscriber to read the article, but I could also make out that they mentioned Bobby Petrino, who is presently at Missouri State, and Ferris State's Tony Annese.

I think I'd be extremely excited about Bobby Petrino.  

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1

So Thamel says we can't afford to gamble on upside (which I agree with), then Feldman says we are looking at George? lol. Should be fun! George would be the least experienced coach we've ever hired.

Lambert seems to have good, well rounded experience and has spent a significant amount of time at programs who recruit Ohio, but his 22-48 record as HC at Charlotte is worrisome. I don't have much thoughts on him at Purdue this year.

Odom doesn't seem to have a connection to the area, but looking at his Wikipedia, it looks like he actually did okay at Missouri considering its Missouri. He went 25-25 in total and was only 38 when hired, so definitely able to learn from that experience and continue to grow I'd think. His D at Arkansas appears to be top 1/3rd-ish from a quick look on ESPN.

Tony Alford just may be my favorite. He's from the area, has been a great recruiter (ranked #11 out of all coaches last year), has ND, OSU, and other P5's on his resume, and has had the Associate HC title at OSU and Iowa State. He's definitely one of the best position coaches in the country. He's definitely somebody I'd take from OSU, but I'm not sure if we can put up the $$ to  get him if we wanted if I'm being honest. That seems to be a tight knit staff considering the status, job security, and pay that come with it.

Kevin Wilson likely not a bad choice, but I don't think we can afford the $$ for him once again. Per Wikipedia, he's making 1.2 million this year.

Mike London's resume is kind of all over the place. Seems he parlayed one FCS championship and another solid year at Richmond with predominately Dave Clawson's players to a HC job with Virginia. He did bad at VA (27-46). He had a good first year at Howard, then jumped after the 2nd year, which was a losing season, to take his current role at William & Mary where he is 12-13 thus far (6-4 this year). At the FCS level over his career, he was pulled off FBS wins vs ULNV and Duke 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Cykron said:

Anybody interested in Iowa State's OC Tom Manning?  He's got Mt. Union roots too.

His name was thrown around last time as well. He would be a home run, but I don’t see him having much interest. I think Campbell may be on his way out there as they’ve lost their magic, and with the NFL experience Manning has, I’m sure he would go with Campbell to the NFL if that’s where he ended up. 

13 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I don't know enough about him to not be interested. Lol.  Both he and your head coach are Mount guys.  Mount is a football coach factory.

Iowa State has at least 3 Mt. Union guys:  Mat Campbell, Tom Manning, and Matt Caponi.  

We have another guys who probably has the highest ceiling on our coaching staff (other than Campell).  His name is Nate Scheelhaase.  Even looks like Campbell.  We are crossing our fingers not to lose him.

Fortunately, we are able to pay enough to keep them from considering MAC jobs.  

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

I think I'd be extremely excited about Bobby Petrino.  

Petrino certainly wouldn't need the $$ to come here.  He's had maybe two 8 figure contracts bought out and was also fired for cause from Arkansas,  Why, you ask?

He also was involved in a MAJOR EFFING SCANDAL at Arkansas.  Having an affair with a volleyball player, then circumventing procedures and hiring her for a position she wasn't qualified for, and then getting in a motorcycle accident with her and lying about it.  

NO, NO, NO, NO!  

And Eddie George?  A name and no coaching resume worth a nickel.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1