New Head Coach Search - 2021 Edition

GoZips86

8 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

His name was thrown around last time as well. He would be a home run, but I don’t see him having much interest. I think Campbell may be on his way out there as they’ve lost their magic, and with the NFL experience Manning has, I’m sure he would go with Campbell to the NFL if that’s where he ended up. 

Yeah, maybe.  But Campbell talks so much about the young players who aren't even playing much.  He makes it clear that he has a view to the future.  He always talks about "building something" here.

Once of his mantras is "outcomes aware, but process and purpose driven."  He sometimes talks about enjoying practices more than the games.  I don't think a blue blood job would allow that attitude.  It is perfect for us.  

8 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Petrino certainly wouldn't need the $$ to come here.  He's had maybe two 8 figure contracts bought out and was also fired for cause from Arkansas,  Why, you ask?

He also was involved in a MAJOR EFFING SCANDAL at Arkansas.  Having an affair with a volleyball player, then circumventing procedures and hiring her for a position she wasn't qualified for, and then getting in a motorcycle accident with her and lying about it.  

NO, NO, NO, NO!

And Eddie George?  A name and no coaching resume worth a nickel.

+100

28 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Lambert seems to have good, well rounded experience and has spent a significant amount of time at programs who recruit Ohio, but his 22-48 record as HC at Charlotte is worrisome. I don't have much thoughts on him at Purdue this year.

Good post. This is interesting. 

Lambert built the UNCC program from scratch. He worked there for at least one year before there were even any players and was highly involved in every aspect of the program and construction of facilities. The losing record doesn't bother me because it is sort of expected considering the circumstances were so difficult. 

What is most intriguing to me is his history at Wake Forest. He was defensive coordinator when they won the ACC during the Grobe years. They really had some good defenses and brought in some really good players like Aaron Curry and Al Smith. It's not easy to win at Wake Forest and he was part of winning. Akron needs a coach like that whether it's him or someone else. 

There would be a money problem. 

Edited by GP1

36 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Petrino certainly wouldn't need the $$ to come here.  He's had maybe two 8 figure contracts bought out and was also fired for cause from Arkansas,  Why, you ask?

He also was involved in a MAJOR EFFING SCANDAL at Arkansas.  Having an affair with a volleyball player, then circumventing procedures and hiring her for a position she wasn't qualified for, and then getting in a motorcycle accident with her and lying about it.  

NO, NO, NO, NO!  

Ooooh.  That is pretty bad. lol

It would certainly be an about face to go from the guy who repeatedly touted character to a guy (Petrino) with none.  On top of his college "incidents" he bailed on the Atlanta Falcons in mid-season.  

You know, we could hire Petrino and when Groce moves to a bigger job we could bring in Rick Pittino.  Pittino and Petrino.  Wow, I think I'm onto something here!

Edited by clarkwgriswold

9 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

You know, we could hire Petrino and when Groce moves to a bigger job we could bring in Rick Pittino.  Pittino and Petrino.  Wow, I think I'm onto something here!

It wouldn’t be boring. On the field or off.

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Whatever you think of Petrino the person, he has won everywhere he's been at the collegiate level.

Agreed. He is still a cancer and has no place at Akron. If he were to be hired he would leave whenever he felt like it such as when he coached the Atlanta Falcons and left mid-season w/o even speaking to the players. No class. No morals. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Whatever you think of Petrino the person, he has won everywhere he's been at the collegiate level.

I guess as we await the news we will have some lively discussions about potential candidates.  So I will continue this and say:  in this situation, you can't separate coach from person.  He used his position as a coach to have an affair with a co-ed and misuse school resources, etc.  I would wonder what other dastardly deeds he's engaged in with recruiting in order to build up that winning record.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NWAkron said:

I guess as we await the news we will have some lively discussions about potential candidates.  So I will continue this and say:  in this situation, you can't separate coach from person.  He used his position as a coach to have an affair with a co-ed and misuse school resources, etc.  I would wonder what other dastardly deeds he's engaged in with recruiting in order to build up that winning record.

I want to make it clear I wasn't advocating for him, just making it known. If I had to guess, he would win some here, but leave us high and dry as soon as he could in a likely inconvenient position. Not somebody I want.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Section210Zip said:

Not surprising. I’m always very skeptical when I see Zac Jackson’s name attached to Akron news. He stopped caring and putting effort into covering Akron when Dambrot left. I think the only time he’s been back since then was during Buffalo’s dominant run in MBB. 

6 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Dre's favorite candidate is telling people he informed UA that he's not interested.

So he was interested in YSU, but not Akron. Suuuurreeee.

He was never a candidate. It's embarrassing the local media reported as much.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1