New Head Coach Search - 2021 Edition

GoZips86

Last time we were looking for a head coach the name I liked most was Joe Harasymiak, who made Maine a national player at the FCS level. I don’t think my mention of his name even got a comment in this forum and then he was quickly grabbed up by P.J. Fleck at Minnesota where he has since become the co-defensive coordinator. His currently salary is only in the mid $300k range I believe. Should this be someone the Zips at least look at?

Everything I have ever seen written about his coaching had been extremely positive.

• Like 2

With Saturday being the conclusion to one of the biggest flops to a season ever in this program's history, I would expect the name to be announced within the next week or so. If you're going to fire a coach with nearly a month left in the season, you'd think it would be coming soon.

This has been such an oddly quiet search. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not, just very interesting to me.

In my mind, the whole point of firing early is so that you can begin your search early. Guthrie needs to make a quick hire after the season concludes, and hire somebody who is going to focus on being HC of the Akron Zips right away and not wait until after a bowl season or playoffs. Early signing day is the 15th and we've seen the majority of players sign in this period the past few years. New coach needs all the time he can get to salvage this class or his first year will essentially be "year 0" like Arth's since he was hired so late.

Edited by LZIp

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

In my mind, the whole point of firing early is so that you can begin your search early. Guthrie needs to make a quick hire after the season concludes, and hire somebody who is going to focus on being HC of the Akron Zips right away and not wait until after a bowl season or playoffs. Early signing day is the 15th and we've seen the majority of players sign in this period the past few years. New coach needs all the time he can get to salvage this class or his first year will essentially be "year 0" like Arth's since he was hired so late.

I agree . I just feel like putting names out there for eyes to see can only help. I definitely think that some higher ups in this decision are very aware of this forum.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, GJGood said:

I agree . I just feel like putting names out there for eyes to see can only help. I definitely think that some higher ups in this decision are very aware of this forum.

They may be aware of us, but that doesn't necessarily mean they value us as the brain-trust to help them pick a coach.  

George Thomas - "So Charles, what was your deciding factor in finding Clyde Kadittlehopper as your head coach?"

Charles Guthrie - "Man I really liked what LZip and clarkgriswold had to say about Clyde while I was surfing ZnO last night, so I took a flier and gave him a call..."

(No offense to you two, just picked names off the screen)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

52 minutes ago, zippy-claws said:

They may be aware of us, but that doesn't necessarily mean they value us as the brain-trust to help them pick a coach.  

George Thomas - "So Charles, what was your deciding factor in finding Clyde Kadittlehopper as your head coach?"

Charles Guthrie - "Man I really liked what LZip and clarkgriswold had to say about Clyde while I was surfing ZnO last night, so I took a flier and gave him a call..."

(No offense to you two, just picked names off the screen)

Oh I agree but there are literally hundreds of names that COULD be looked at. The AD is new to the university and region. Not saying a braintrust at all but if a name gets brought up that is intriguing it doesn’t hurt to look or inquire.

4 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Not likely.  UWGB didn't have football.  Before that he was at some very small schools. 

I know he came from Green Bay and there is no football there but he must have had connections with other ADs and administrators at places that did have football or with whom there is some familiarity. He must have friends in the business.

6 hours ago, LZIp said:

Well ya! That was said long ago.

3 hours ago, GJGood said:

I know he came from Green Bay and there is no football there but he must have had connections with other ADs and administrators at places that did have football or with whom there is some familiarity. He must have friends in the business.

Luke Getsy is one of the favorites of this board & he's the QB coach for the GB Packers.  Small world?

Tom Herman anyone? He worked Fickell-esque magic at Houston, is from Ohio/coached at OSU, and really didn't do that bad at Texas (especially compared to his successor). He's currently an analyst with the Bears and will soon be unemployed again once Nagy is fired...not that being analyst in the NFL is hard to compete against anyways.

cc: @Cykron

16 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Tom Herman anyone? He worked Fickell-esque magic at Houston, is from Ohio/coached at OSU, and really didn't do that bad at Texas (especially compared to his successor). He's currently an analyst with the Bears and will soon be unemployed again once Nagy is fired...not that being analyst in the NFL is hard to compete against anyways.

Why would he come here?   Va Tech is open, FLA, LSU, USC   Maybe ole miss if the lane train heads to the U.   Set your bar a little lower.  

1 minute ago, dirtyolcrowe said:

Why would he come here?   Va Tech is open, FLA, LSU, USC   Maybe ole miss if the lane train heads to the U.   Set your bar a little lower.  

Probably right....just surprised he doesn't have a better position right now being that he should still be quite highly regarded. CMU was able to hire McElwain after Florida fired him, however. So hiring a recent retread from a big time program isn't unheard of.

57 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Luke Getsy is one of the favorites of this board & he's the QB coach for the GB Packers.  Small world?

In addition to that, Guthrie has a good relationship with Mark Murphy of the Packers. I’m not entirely sure if he would help recruit his QB Coach away from himself. However, Getsy clearly respects Murphy and the organization enough to go back for a second stint, so if Murphy gave a glowing recommendation, that works even more in Akron’s favor. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Never been a huge Herman fan.  He just doesn't bring the personal and team discipline that I would like to see from a head coach.  I think he is busy right now counting all the money he was paid so that Texas could hire Sarkesian.  

22 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

With Saturday being the conclusion to one of the biggest flops to a season ever in this program's history, I would expect the name to be announced within the next week or so. If you're going to fire a coach with nearly a month left in the season, you'd think it would be coming soon.

This has been such an oddly quiet search. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not, just very interesting to me.

They may be looking more at assistants at programs who are still playing. So may not get any news at least until the regular season is over. Still hope they look at a 'retread' who has had some success at a higher level. If not go after a successful D2 coach ala Brian Kelly who is willing to move.